Gear List in Everyone's Sig

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by TeeWX, Jan 22, 2014.

1. TeeWX

TeeWX All The Br00tz

Hey everyone,

I just thought of this because it seemed like it would be nice. I'm on a computing forum and they do this with everyone's signature area. Basically it tells you everything that's a part of each rig that person owns. This kind of eliminates any confusion if you want to recommend gear to people. You'd just have designated areas for "Guitars", "Pickups", "Amps", "Cabinets", "Speakers", "Pedals" etc...

I know some people already stick this in their signature, but I think it'd be very helpful if it caught on. It basically eliminates the handful of posts we get asking about what gear you have. (i.e. you see someone having trouble getting a high gain sound out of an amp and you immediately see that he lists no pickups that would even remotely get there; his issue gets resolved much faster) I know it's in a lot of people's profiles already but this makes it blatantly obvious and acts as a nice reminder to posters themselves to keep it updated.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

2. Mike

Mike The Traveler Contributor

The problems I see are some people, like myself, don't want to share everything we have. My reason is I just don't want all my expensive valuables listed for someone to target. There's ways to find anyone trust me. Paranoid parrot aside, I also believe some people's gear lists can get so far out of hand that you won't even care to look through it.

I like your idea from a troubleshooting perspective, but as a requirement, or even added field, I don't see it catching on. That's just me though.

3. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

There's already a section on each user's profile where that person can list the gear he/she uses and/or has used. If they don't have it there, they likely don't want to share it with the world.

4. TeeWX

TeeWX All The Br00tz

Requirement? No.

Option to be public? Yes.

Everyone is different and some people really like to discuss gear. If that doesn't apply to you, I wouldn't expect anyone to make you include it.

This was covered in my opening post. I don't see why you'd have to make this mandatory.

---

Thank you both for your opinions

5. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

I apologize. I somehow missed the second paragraph of your post. I wasn't making it mandatory; I merely thought that maybe you didn't know of that feature. Again, I apologize, and thus retract my comment.

6. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

The problem I have with some people who put all their gear in their signatures is that they post exhaustive lists that take up a huge amount of space on the page. Also, if people are looking for recommendations on gear, then it logically follows that they should be indicating what gear they already have that it would be used in conjunction with. If they can't figure out to do that, tough tamales for them. It's like someone looking for recommendations for a science fiction RPG/FPS hybrid by saying "I like games and stuff."

7. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

refer to Metal Ken's sig

8. Sephael

Sephael Divine Paradøx Contributor

Do we really need 40 extra lines per post of gear lists when it is easy enough to see the list in their profile if needed. I already hate the profiles that have 10 lines of gear in their sig. For an example see below, and keep in mind this is from one post, do the math over over a dozen posts:

Gear Details
    Sevenstring Guitars: Schecter Damien 7 FR (modified with EMG 707, EMG 81-7, 18 volt mod, EMG Pi2, independent volume and tone for each pickup, heavy duty springs, Big Block brass sustain block and Tremel-no)

Other Guitars: LTD Deluxe EC-1000 STP, LTD B-334 SBRN bass, B.C. Rich Revenge Series Warlock, Fretlight 421, Yamaha RBX-765A 5 String Bass, Johnson JG-670-12 (12 string Dreadnaught), New York Pro telecaster (my drinking guitar).

Amps/Preamps: Orange Dark Terror, Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 head, Marshall MG50 DFX

Effects/Pedals: Strymon blueSky Reverberator, Amptweaker Tight Metal, Blackout Effectors Seriously Special Twosome, Electro Harmonix HOG, Ravish Sitar, Way Huge Green Rhino, Dunlop Crybaby from Hell, Source Audio Soundblox Pro Bass Envelope Filter, Source Audio Hot Hand 3, Boss DD7 Digital Delay, Boss BD2 Blues Driver w/ Keeley Phat mod, Boss MT2 Metal Zone w/ Keeley mod, Boss CS3 Compression Sustainer w/ Humphrey mod, Boss CH1 Super Chorus, Rocktron Third Angel Distortion, MXR 10 Band Graphic EQ, MXR Noise Cl

Cabs/Monitors: Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 1x12, Jet City JCA12XS 1x12

Studio Gear: Furman Merit M-8LX Power Conditioner, Odyssey Studio Rack, Alesis MultiMix 4, Shure SM57, Tascam iUR2 interface,

Misc/Other: Akai MPK25, Line 6 Tone Port GX, Peavey Ampkit Link, Korg Pitchblack+, Yamaha PSS-680 keyboard synth (yeah it sucks but better than nothing). Mississippi harmonica.

9. TeeWX

TeeWX All The Br00tz

40 extra lines? No.

The way it works is with tabs. Similar to how you have tabs in your browser.

So you might have tabs like
    |--RIG 1--|--RIG 2--|--RIG 3--|________________
    |----------------------------------------------|^|
    |-----------------Stuff in here-----------------| | Scrollbar Here
    |----------------------------------------------| |
    |________________________________________|v|

This way if a person feels it necessary to list their entire pedalboard you never take up more space than what a normal signature already handles.

I know you say it's easy to just click on a person's profile and check, but there are plenty people who don't even read the opening post; they aren't going to check the profile if they don't even spend the time to do that.

It's just a suggestion to save time for those of us who want to implement it. If everyone is against it that's absolutely fine. I just wanted to know if anyone else thought this was useful, because I do based on my personal experiences here on SSO.

:)

10. Xaios

Wee bit of a logical flaw here. If someone can't be bothered to read your post (to say nothing of ignoring your profile), what makes you think they'll read your signature?

11. TeeWX

TeeWX All The Br00tz

Fair enough. In any regard, the idea is to make things easier. So far nobody seems to support this. Not everyone is willing to contribute and share with the world. I can understand that your rig could be "personal", and at that point this probably just doesn't apply to you.

Anyways, I'm glad people have responded to this and voiced their thoughts.

12. Xaios

There's one other issue to be touched on. You mention that you got the idea from a computer forum. If someone says that they want to upgrade their CPU while keeping their existing motherboard, you're not going to recommend them an LGA2011 processor if they've got an LGA1155 motherboard. There are objective compatibility issues that must be considered.

That's not so when it comes to guitars. Barring something glaringly moronic like if someone were to recommend a single coil pickup for someone who's looking for a humbucker, talking about things like pickups, woods and amps is almost *completely* subjective, determined by the biases of everyone in the discussion.

13. TeeWX

TeeWX All The Br00tz

That's a good point. Most guitar gear is fairly compatible and the level of performance is completely subjective for the most part.

14. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've got all of my gear listed in my profile :shrug: plus whenever I recommend or compare something, I usually state whether I own/have owned said product.

I feel like listing everyone's gear list in their sig instead would just take up tons of space and ultimately be ignored. Of course there are those who already do it and only take up two or three lines, but it would definitely add up over the course of a multi-page thread or discussion.