GDGCFADG Tuning on a 27"

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Captain Butterscotch, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

I did indeed use the search function but I think the OPs in the threads I read were using 25.5" necks. Basically, is it possible and if so will the G4 be ridiculously tight?

2. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

I hope not, Im planning on using the same tuning :/

3. Gemmeadia

Gemmeadia SS.org Regular

Thats what I tune to (minus the extra string) with my Agile Interceptor Pro 727 with 11-70 and the tension is pretty much perfect. If anything i would prefer something a little lighter like a .68 since the strings are too tight for my floyd rose to function properly without a tremel-no (which i plan to get regardless).

4. Captain Butterscotch

You have the high G on your 7? I was asking because I am about to pull the trigger on a Septor 827 and wanted to keep the Drop G I used on my 7 string but with that awesome high G sound I can get with the clean parts. :cool:

5. Dayn

Dayn silly person

I had a stock D'Addario .008 on my RG2228 at 27"... lasted a couple of weeks before I got bored of it and tuned it down. Wasn't that flexible, I could bend it half a step and didn't dare go further, but it lasted a respectable amount of time. If I wanted to keep using it, even if it snapped every couple of weeks, the strings are cheap and easy to replace.

You may want to make sure the contact surfaces are smooth. You'll have to tune the high G up slowly... when I was going for A, a .007 snapped just past G because I was a bit enthusiastic.

6. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Yeah going slowly is key. I emailed Skip at Circle K and asked him about using a high G on a 27" scale as I'm going to be getting strings from him soon, I'll let you know what he says.

7. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

Anyone remember Keith Merrow's Agile Intrepid video? 28.625" scale, drop F tuning with a high F:

and he used standard strings as far as i can remember. .10 or .09 for the high F.

go down to .08 or .07 gauge, and remove a little more than an inch from the scale length, and you're at least up to f# at the same tension. If that's not ridiculously tight, then you should be able to get up to a G. it'll be tight though, right?

8. vansinn

vansinn ShredNeck into Beck

I'm tuning A1...G4 on 26.5", had the same 008 on for like half a year. And I bend it all the time ;)
    Not that much difference in tension betwen 26.5" and 27"..
    You may like the tension from a 008 or go with a softer 0075 or 007.

9. ZEBOV

ZEBOV Banned

Why not GCFBbEbGCF?

10. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

This is good to hear! Just using D'addario or?

11. Winspear

Winspear EtherealEntity Vendor

I had no problems with G# on 25.5 with Daddario .0085s.
    Thus, I suggested the same string to my friend who wanted G at 27 (tension is the same).
    They all broke instantly.
    He's been happily tuned to G with a 007 for ages now with no issue.

12. Captain Butterscotch

Thanks for responding guys! When I get it done, I'll update this thread. What gauges do you guys suggest? The Ernie Ball 8 string pack seems like it'd be too heavy and I've never gone outside the box and gotten individual strings before.

13. SammyKillChambers

SammyKillChambers SS.org Regular

I was gonna say precisely this, but you kinda removed the need for me repeating it! :lol:

14. summit101

summit101 SS.org Regular

i tune to G(or F)CFBbEbGCG on 26.5 with a .007 on high G just fine but recently decided to go .008 since it could handle the scale length.
    the gauge set i use is .008.011.014.018.030.038.054.074. i've put on .007.010.013.017.028.036.052.072 for this tuning but schecter necks don't set up that well with such light tension and only a single truss rod.
    i like lighter tension but im just experimenting to see what feels and sounds bests with the set up im using.