GAS is a real thing... and a problem.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by TheFireSky5150, Jun 12, 2018.

1. TheFireSky5150

TheFireSky5150 SS.org Regular

Is anybody truly in a constant state of contentment with their rig? I find myself constantly suffering from GAS, always needing something! Its killing me lol

Gravy Train likes this.
  2. Meeotch

Meeotch SS.org Regular

Just thought I'd chime in as a fellow GASer...

I've found it helps me immensely to have another hobby that I truly love. I'm very outdoorsy, especially in the summer months, so I've been spending most of my time outside hiking and climbing. In fact, I haven't played guitar in over a month. That long of a break is probably extreme for most dedicated guitarists, but after some time away from it I begin to realize that my rig is pretty bad ass as it is. (A couple highly regarded tube amps, 4x12, USA guitars, etc)

Certainly, taking a break from guitar isn't necessary, so my original point of just having another hobby that makes you happy can go a long way. It can help add perspective to why you are putting so much money into it, and what you are really trying to achieve with your tone. Think about the band(s) you used to listen to that really got you into playing guitar. (Re)learn a bunch of their songs/riffs and just have fun jamming. For me this is early Metallica! Anyways, just speaking my mind...good luck!

3. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I'm reformed

For about 15 years I bought and sold so much gear . one day I was just kind of over it. The thought of changing my pedal board again or putting in another new set of pick ups repulsed me . I had a box full of high end pedals I wasn't even using .Sold everything I wasn't using expect for a few pedals with sentimental value and haven't bought anything since apart from strings

there is light at the end of the tunnel. but you have to want to stop

4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Yup. There's nothing I need to buy, save for a different backup guitar. Even when I see new gear announced that I like, I don't feel the need to run out and buy it. I'd rather play shows.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  5. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

People crave only enough meaning to justify their suffering, and first-world suffering spawns communities such as this one to try to fill that void in their soul with toys. I’ve found that having at least one alternative hobby consisting of other, cheaper toys - unrelated to guitar - distracts me from the more expensive guitar-toy hobby long-enough to allow my guitar budget time to replenish.

Buy toy, sell toy, buy toy, die. That’s how I spell “GAS.”

...And now to sell myself on buying another guitar toy through binging on YouTube videos of bad guitar toy players playing guitar toys inferior to ones I already own.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  6. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Welcome to the community.

A-Branger and TheWarAgainstTime like this.
  7. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Having an infant and paying for expensive daycare certainly cured me of my GAS.

8. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Getting a mortgage has cured my GAS.

Alex79, mikah912 and cGoEcYk like this.
  9. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

10. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I was a heavy GAS'r until I went all-in with the MFX. My sounds go everywhere, I can't imagine ever needing another pedal, I can plug into just about anything, and it works with all my guitars. I still see lots of stuff that I WANT, but hardly enough to bust out the credit card.

11. Gravy Train

Gravy Train SS.org Regular

Currently in a GAS storm myself. I'm happy with what I have, it sounds and plays absolutely great. However, I constantly find myself looking at new gear even though I don't need it. It's kind of annoying, but I can't seem to stop. I think the above mention of idea of a different/new hobby is a good idea.

12. TheRileyOBrien

TheRileyOBrien SS.org Regular

I haven't bought a piece of gear I needed in over a decade.

13. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I'm one Gibson Explorer away from curing my gas, and maybe an ESP horizon, and eventually a PRS. And either a Mesa TC-50 or Mark JP-2C and maybe a set of pickups for my Les Paul and then some new monitors for my Helix.

Besides that I don't have any GAS.... oh shit... nvm

Deadpool_25 and beavis2306 like this.
  14. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Imo: if you literally cannot stop yourself from buying the next shiny (or matte) thing, and its negatively impacting your life (cant make rent, high stress due to gear habit, etc) you may want to consider professional help. At that point its not really different from a gambling addiction.

15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've been seeing a pattern where some people seem to just deep dive into just one thing and don't really come back up for air at any point, and I don't understand how it doesn't drive them nuts. I'll go a month without picking up a guitar. Or without playing / working on video games, or watching TV or movies, or whatever else have you.

If anything, I see it as kind of a weird problem sometimes -> the industry I work in has this weird (and in my opinion kind of unhealthy) idea of "passion" where people will spend basically every waking moment diving into more details and more skills and more research and practice and it leads to some pretty bad work / life balance issues. It gets justified as "passion" and "dedication" and all of that kind of stuff, but it leads to crunch, unpaid overtime, burnout, all of that kind of stuff.

On one level, I think it's perfectly fine to always want stuff. It means you're excited. I would find it weird to be interested or passionate about something, and NOT want to keep investing in it, collect more things, more tools, more instruments, etc. I mean, that makes sense. You think it's cool. Of course you want stuff you think is cool. The key is balance though. If it becomes an obsession that interferes with your ability to live other parts of your life, then it's something to address. Otherwise, it's fine. Let it happen. Don't stop yourself from enjoying something because you think you might be enjoying it to too much or some weird thing like that.

I think having a lot of hobbies is a great way to keep any one of them from dominating your life, if you feel like that's an issue.

blacai and budda like this.
  16. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I have pretty constant GAS and am almost always selling or on the lookout for gear :shrug: it's never caused me to be short on rent or anything, so I guess I have some self control :lol:

I enjoy trying all kinds of new/different gear. Sometimes a shiny new pedal, pickup, or amp can be incredibly inspiring and make me want to play more, which I see as a good thing. I've pretty much focused in on what I like in guitars, so I've been buying/trading them a lot less than i was a few years ago. Now I'm just an amp and pedal whore :D

17. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I’m on top of my eBay alerts and keep an eye out for good deals on stuff I want. Half the fun (okay maybe less than half) is getting what I want for a good price. That at least makes my consumerism more affordable for me.

I’m pretty set on amps and guitars so most of my GAS is weird esoteric pedals or preamps and stuff.

I also realised it’s a lot of fun making my own stuff, it’s a lot cheaper for me to find a schematic of a hyped pedal and build my own (also gives me the option to mod it if I want).

I’ve made a few different modded tubescreamers at this point and there are things I like and dislike about them all, so I think for my next thing I’m gonna start out with a basic ts808 circuit and mod it into ‘my’ perfect tubescreamer. That should keep me busy for a while.

18. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

ya this and kids/family I assume. For me, I have been having issues with having too many options and ended up not able to really get anything

Alex79 and Anquished like this.
  19. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

You must be in the software industry. That's exactly the culture that made me move away from silicon Valley .

20. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I can't give details, but yeah. I work in gaming.

Edit: I will also fully admit that E3 has put me in a very critical mood lately, if anyone has noticed a shift in the tone of my posts lately :lol:.