gamers - do you play on a console or on a PC?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Santuzzo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

I play both. Currently I have an x360, a ps3 and a gaming pc. Consoles are for split screen games with my wife and some console exclusive games, like the last of us. I'm going to buy a ps4 when tlou2 comes out.

But my primary gaming is on pc. For some games I have a x360 wireless controller dongle, but most of the games I play on keyboard and mouse. The kb/mouse is just so much more accurate and intuitive for me.

I like how easy and hassle free consoles are (just download updates and play), but then again, tinkering with pc parts, game mods and stuff is a crucial part of the pc gaming charm. And the visuals are just so much better. Also pc exclusives, like arma3 and some strategy titles are already enough to keep me using my gaming rig.

2. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

PC mainly. Also have a wii, xbox classic and xbox360... of those I use the xbox classic the most. I still like a lot of games from that era, and with component cables it looks aiight, way better than my old PS2 at least.

3. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

PC

I stopped playing on consoles all together about 5 or 6 years ago when I got my first custom PC (tons of regret with that, should have just built it myself).

I'm not sure if I just gradually lost interest in gaming or not, but the most fun I had was back in my console days on the Xbox 360. Nothing was better than loading up Halo 3/Reach/ODST/4, Call of Duty MW2/Blops 1/WAW, or Battlefield Bad Company 2/3/1943 with a full party of friends.

Nowadays I might play 2-4 hours of games a week, generally just CSGO, but even that almost feels like a chore.

4. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

Since I built my new PC, I've not even switched my 360 on.

Especially as I can now hook the PC up to my AV system. A world of difference. Skyrim Special Edition (with added mods) is massive increase on the Xbox 360 version and I'm sure the XBone Spec. Ed. version too.

Other stuff I've played on console too- Crysis trilogy for example. Though admittedly, the PC is 8 years more advanced than an Xbox 360.

In truth, a good game is a good game on any platform. But- no subscription (I might ditch EVE online now too as Elite Dangerous has kind of taken over in the big space game stakes) for online play and a much quieter system (even under load), plus faster loading from SSD.

This doesn't get away from platform exclusives though- and I would like to play a few X Box and PS4 titles that won't apparently turn up on PC. But it's not a priority.

5. Cloudy

Cloudy Dunvegan Guitars Contributor

I finally converted to PC a few years ago, gaming in 60fps is a BIG game changer for me. It just feels so much more fluid than anything consoles can produce. I still have a PS4 for exclusive titles but it rarely gets turned on nowadays

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

It's taking some effort for me to actively remember to be an adult and keep my money for important things instead of running out and buying a switch.... and that's weird coming from me, since I usually stick to PC/Steam. Every place being sold out so far is helping.

7. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Console, always have since (dating myself here) Atari 2600.

I'm a PlayStation guy now, have had em all and the controllers work for me. My brother is forever trying to get me to snag an XBone and play online with him but I can't gel with the controllers after playing Sony for so long.

Works, I'm a casual gamer so no need for a dedicated PC for this stuff. I just wanna throw in a disc or load up whatever's on the drive and go.

8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Coworker just brought a switch into the office. I want one more now. :wallbash:

9. Cheap Poison

Cheap Poison SS.org Regular

After PS2 only Pc. Not turning back.

10. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Provided it continues getting great games, I think the Switch is the perfect gaming platform for me.

11. Bearilla

Bearilla SS.org Regular

I play on both. I prefer to play my shooters on console and mmoISH style games on PC.

I don't think there is anything wrong with using a PC for gaming and for your recording. I have done this for years with no issues. You just have to build with all of this in mind. You don't need firewire for gaming but you might need it for recording. You don't need a high end GPU for recording but you might need it for gaming. The only place I see this getting tricky is when choosing your CPU. For media production more cores is better. For gaming faster single core performance is better. You can definitely get by with more cores or faster cores but whichever you choose, the other side will take a small hit in performance. There is a ton more on this subject but a basic youtube search will get you sorted.

I have recently crossed the line from Xbox to Playstation. Since I primarily play shooters on console input lag and controller feel is very important to me. The Xbox failed me on both. I had terrible input lag even while playing wired on a monitor and the controller's joysticks have too little resistance for me. Made the jump to PS4 and haven't looked back.