Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by flexkill, Mar 31, 2013.

1. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

JFC another leak haha this time by HBO themselves.
    They accidentally aired it in Spain.

My friends are telling me that this time, unlike the other one, the leaks are in 1080p :v

2. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

I actually fell asleep on it and returned to finish it the the next day. There were a few good moments, but overall the flow was a bit weak too often.
    That being said, it's the only show I watch, so as critical as that sounds, I'm still on board. TV generally sucks.

"There's no time for that!" Wow. Dude is just not into you.

3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

You're right. I used to not watch television when I felt like my own life was more exciting.

4. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

Kinda pissed right now. Scrolling through FB and wham, some jackoff posted screenshots from the leaked episodes on a post not at all GOT related. I really, really, really hate people some times.

takotakumi likes this.
  5. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

Everyone here please try your best to not get spoiled...this is easily the best episode of the season for me, its gonna be hard
    for the finale to top this imo haha

One of my friends in our group chat got mad at another guy for not wanting to share his hbo go so the fucker spoiled the ending to all of us :mad:
    blocked that fucker indefinitely
    This could've easily gone from a 11/10 to a 200/10 for me if it wasn't cause he spoiled the the most "OMG SHIIIID" scene

6. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Thanks for the warning! It's social media blackout for me until I watch it!

7. wankerness

Arya is SUCH a piece of shit. God, I hate watching her. Pretty good episode otherwise. After the posts above, I was expecting major characters to get killed. On the human side, only redshirts (they seemed to spawn whenever a visual death had to happen, they had literally no lines or closeups apart from dying!!!) and manbun priest guy died. I mean, we all saw the ending coming from seasons away if we ever played Warcraft 3, right? :D

8. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

How long can these guys hold their breath? First Bronn & Jaime get away from Dany, and now Jon... also, the wights and the water. It seemed for most of the episode that falling into that icey lake was rather bad for them, especially when some fell in with Jon and the only one that makes it out is the only person who has to breath, but then they somehow attach those massive chains to the dragon.
    I'm curious about the finale. And who's going to die. Hope they keep The Hound & Tormund around and together for a while longer, those were a good deal more entertaining than Bronn & Jaime.

9. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

Since I apparently can't edit my former post, something I just realised watching it the second time: Why do the other wights try to free the captured one? They usually don't seem to care if they lose a few hundred or more... is that just an excuse to bring a bit more variety to the action scenes or is there an actual reason? Does the Night King see the propability of a unified army of the living, and see that as a threat?

10. MFB

MFB ExBendable

If I were the Night King, I'd just throw the chain to any Wights now stuck at the bottom of the lake and have them attach it to the dragon. Makes the most sense, they're already down there and can do the work, no need to waste other bodies.

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

Was anyone else really bothered by the teleporting on the show? There's no way dany's dragons could fly from dragonstone to north of the wall that quickly. It's supposed to be thousands of miles, so unless jon and the boys were sitting on that island for a couple of days, she wouldn't have reached them very quickly. The fight scenes were excellent. Tormund is still one of my favorites. The whole Arya vaguely threatening Sansa bit was basically just filler as far as I'm concerned (just like grey worm/missandei banging a couple episodes back).

12. wankerness

Arya threatening Sansa might NOT be filler, and that's the real problem, since it's such a manufactured, STUPID issue that could be solved in an instant if any character behaved remotely intelligently. It's AWFUL. Maybe, I dunno, GO ASK THE PSYCHIC GUY IN THE HOUSE THAT CAN SEE EVERYTHING EVER? Instead, we get Sansa sending Brienne off like a tard and setting us all up for yet another Littlefinger coup. GREATTTTt

Benjen's character existing for all these seasons just to finally show up for 15 seconds to give jon his horse is kind of hilarious.

Here was something I saw posted about the teleporting yesterday:

[​IMG]
    "This is a map of westeros.
    1. Gendry ran to eastwatch, from that mountainrange.

2. They sent a raven from eastwatch to dragonstone (roughly halfway across westeros).

3. Daenerys flew from dragonstone to the north. Presumably, she did not have an exact location, but even if we asume she did, it's still quite a long flight.

So you tell me, how long do you think this would take?"

If they'd just had Dany at Eastwatch, they could have avoided so much silliness. The whole Night King spear thing was dumb, too - instead of hitting the one 100 feet from him with all the people on it, he aims for the flying one really far away? Plot armor, indeed. Should have just had the positioning of everything make more sense.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    SD83 likes this.
  13. bostjan

That really bothered me. Visually, the fighting scenes were absolutely great, but there were several weird things about the episode that threw it off from otherwise being an awesome experience. There is no flipping way that all of that stuff would happen before our heroes would have staved to death.
    The Arya/Sansa thing is not as bad, to me. They are both still quite young, and regardless of their experience level, they still behaved consistently within their characters, even though you would have hoped to see some character development or whatever. Bran behaving weirdly and not being willing to do anything to use his powers to help his family (and basically just sitting there brooding for the entire season so far) is frustrating.
    The chemistry between Danerys and Jon still seems forced, although the acting was notably better.

Anyway, the bigger plot points in the episode were great and the visuals were great. The next one is going to have to step up the game, though. ...or not, probably, there are enough die hard fans who wouldn't miss it.

14. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

It's not the first time we have that teleporting issue. If I remember correctly, the most obvious case so far seemed Varys teleporting back & forth between Dorne & Dany. That is also something that pissed me off with the books, Martin outright refuses (and he even said he did that on purpose, and that readers should not bother themselves with it that much and just enjoy the story, which seems odd considering how much effort he put into making up dozens, if not hundred of storylines for thousands of characters, all interfering with each other) to deliver even the most basic clues as to what day it is and how far any two places are away from each other. A new chapters begins, and sometimes they might happen at the same time, some might take place days after the previous chapter, or months, and you're never told. You can't even say "There's no way they could get there that fast" because you have no idea how fast they actually got there as you have no idea how much time has passed. That was one of the great thing about LotR, it was consistent. You could usually take the map and track the paths of the protagonists, and you could keep track of how many days passed and it all worked out. (To be fair, my favourite LotR-related book is probably "The Atlas of Middle-Earth" :D )

EDIT: Found this
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KAqa9wwODqaFkegqf8Si6fmuE55-M-GMIj0ZmcKUFxs/edit
    Since I recently restarted reading, I had the first book at hand and judging by the 410 miles between Dragonstone and Gulltown, we have about 2400 miles to Eastwatch, give or take maybe a few hundred. If someone is trying to tell me a dragon can do that in a day, that is stupid enough. Maybe he can set fire to his farts and thus his digestive system becomes a biological jet engine or something. But a raven? A raven wouldn't even be in Winterfell after a week.

(That said, it's still an amazing show)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  15. KnightBrolaire

the problem is the whole teleporting nonsense didn't start til the later books. In the first couple of books he consistently mentions how it's quite a vast distance to go from kings landing to the wall (it took a few weeks for davos to even sail to white harbor from dragonstone, it would take longer to go to eastwatch) or from the eyrie to riverrun (it still takes tyrion like a week or two on horseback iirc ). Unless those dragons can cover thousands of miles in the span of a day or two, it's teleportation lol. Don't even get me started on the deus ex machina bullshit/plot armor keeping jon alive. It's almost as bad as in true blood where sookie's grandpa LITERALLY RIPS OPEN A FUCKING PORTAL TO THE FAERIE REALM AT THE LAST SECOND TO SAVE HER FROM BEING KILLED

16. TheDivineWing22

TheDivineWing22 You've got the touch

There have been issues with teleporting in the show. In this episode, I think the viewer is to assume it's been days since Gendry is sent to Eastwatch. It would take a considerable amount of time for the ice to re-freeze to the point of supporting he weight of the undead bodies.

I don't believe they are more than a few hours from the wall. Maybe 1000 miles from Eastwatch to Dragonstone. If a raven/dragon can do 50mph, maybe a day or so each way, and add extra time for stopping to rest, it could be plausible.

17. bostjan

According to most of the maps of Westeros online (maybe the show has a smaller world than the maps on the internet show), it should be about 1900 miles between Eastwatch and Dragonstone. About the distance from Albuquerque to Philadelphia. So, if I was, say, stranded in the desert with some companions, and I managed to make a run for it to Albuquerque, say, about 6 hours running as fast as I could, and then I got there and sent a note to Philadelphia on a carrier pigeon, and then once it was there, someone got on a biplane to come help my friends, would they make it or die of exposure before help arrived?

18. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

I feel like the deaths in this show are now going the way of the Walking Dead where major characters are teased repeatedly and nameless folks are the one's that die.

19. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I tonight it was good . it was a pretty bad teleport flaw that could've been easily avoided with a little planning in the writing, but in a world of people coming back to life and dragons I can over look it . but in reality , all it needed was for them to have supplies to survive a few days

on sansa and arya

anyone else think it was weird sansa was talking to little finger about keeping brienne around to keep the peace ,and then she was kinda being weird sending her away .made me wonder if it was arya posing as sansa . but she cant make a face without killing them right ?
    I need to rewatch it and see what I think

story wise I don't have an issue with it. they were always polar opposites and little finger is playing them

20. KnightBrolaire

considering I live in minnesota, I know a thing or two about ice. :D Fun fact: Minnesota is colder than Iceland (where they film all the wall scenes/beyond the wall scenes) on average. Average low/high ranges from 12F to 40 from Dec-Mar for Minneapolis and in Iceland it's 22F-24F for the same months. Since it's freshwater ice it'll likely refreeze like that in a day or two. You really don't need that thick of ice to support a lot of weight, some of the smaller lakes near me freeze up to a foot thick in spots, but basically anything over 4-6 inches and you can drive a snowmobile/vehicle onto the ice. I stand by the most realistic timeframe being at least 3-4 days for Dany to get to jon's crew, provided her dragon can range several hundred miles per day and the raven is teleporting to her.