Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by flexkill, Mar 31, 2013.

1. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

I liked Hardhome a little better because it was almost like a big reveal for the actual enemy.
    It was one of the only times I audibly cheered for a TV show.

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

This last battle was similar, though, because
    the dragons are the secret weapon against the army of the dead. Think about it, you have an army of wights, immune to everything except fire, and the others/white-walkers who are allergic to dragon-glass and valerian steel (which is steel forged in dragon's fire), so what do you think dragons would do to the army of the dead? So, we got to see how the thing, that is the ultimate game-changer for all of the characters who survive long enough to make it to the final battle, works in battle.

Also, a lot of character development in the last episode.

Dany stops taking advice and starts to think on her own again, which will be necessary later on.
    Jon and Dany are now allies.
    Bron chose mission over money, therefore showing he's completed his character arc.
    Dickon is now a warrior. I have a feeling we'll see more of him later.

And coming up:
    Bran/Arya/Sansa are set up to deal with a bunch of Stark family stuff now, which will somehow involve Littlefinger, but hasn't started to play out just yet.
    Speaking of Bran, now that he's at the Weirwood and is out of immediate danger, he must be seeing some things. It seems that the show is purposely not telling us about what he's seeing. Obviously, the dagger he gave Arya is going to be super important later on. He knows stuff about Jon that no one else in the story knows, but it looks like it might be a while before Jon is back in Winterfell to hear about it. It seems he likely also knows some things about Littlefinger that the audience doesn't know yet, and I'm sure there are other things. I guess there will probably be an episode at some point dedicated to Bran.
    Assuming the money made it to the Iron Bank (I was hoping Dany was going to intercept that carriage), Cersei must have another card up her sleeve for later. Frankly, though, with so little screen time left, I'm ready for Cersei to simply die or whatever, so we can get back to the army of the dead and the real point of the entire series.
    We haven't heard from the Hound in a couple episodes now. Everyone else's storylines have been moving a little every other episode. The next episode will probably go back to Sam and something going on with Euron.
    And are we ever going to hear anything else from the blacksmith's son / Robert's oldest living son? I forget what HBO called him, but he was last seen several years ago in a boat, escaping human sacrifice. Are we to assume he died? If not, it seems he should reappear at some point, otherwise, his entire arc is inconsequential.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  3. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Great episode.

Think the last 3 are going to be epic

4. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Great episode.

Think the last 3 are going to be epic

5. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Here's why I thought this episode was so much better than the last "spectacle" episodes - this was the first time we've ever had main characters that we (well, I) cared about on both sides!! The last few have been like, Jon Snow vs a big horde of (mostly faceless) wildlings and giants, or Jon Snow vs a bunch of zombies/white walkers, or Jon Snow vs Ramsay (who we all hated and were sure was going to lose besides!!!). I think the last one where we had likable characters on both sides was season 2, where we had Davos on one side and Tyrion on the other, but the way things went down there it was really a non-issue and there was no tension except whether Tyrion would win. Plus, we'd barely seen him at that point so I don't remember caring about him.

This time we had Jamie/Bronn vs Danaerys and the dragons. Like, seriously, I think Bronn might have been THE ONLY character they could have put on that crossbow that would have made me so conflicted about the outcome!!! I love that guy! But damn, I wanted to see Daenerys destroy everything and really didn't want that dragon shot down!!

I also liked what they were doing with this sort of pushing Daenerys over into gray area territory, with Tyrion clearly disturbed by how brutally the army was being exterminated. Ah well. I guess since she was only frying soldiers, she didn't exactly do what Jon Snow had warned her about with having to avoid destroying a city to maintain her superiority over "everyone else."

So yeah, obviously the last part of the episode was the highlight, but there was some other great stuff in there. I was so relieved that Arya got into Winterfell, I was worried they were going to do something idiotic with those two infuriating soldier characters and have her just leave. And her scene with Brienne was great. A lot of the other minor stuff was good and moved things forward, like having Jon and Theon reunite, and the funny way that Tyrion and Varys were crumpled when they had to give the bad news.

Again, GREAT episode, easily one of the very best since season 3. I doubt they can top this the rest of the season (how could they possibly even AFFORD to do something else like this?!), but I hope they can!

6. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

totally with you there. when Bron was aiming up me and the wife were screaming "No, move out the way " at the tv

7. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

There is one thing that I regret....

I wish Bronn had shot the dragon for the following dialogue

Jaime: "Well done ser Bronn of the Blackwater"
    Bronn: "Dude, that's Bronn Dragonslayer now."

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  8. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

ha ha, same here, I surprised myself yelling at the screen as I were a teenager fanboy jerk (which I actually am except for the teenager thing) with the last episode. So exciting and huge cliff-hanger at the end... when I saw Jamie I was like... please, not the credits now, one more scene, not now... xD

9. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

Anyone play dark souls here? While watching that scene all I could think of was Dex(Arya) vs Strength (Brienne) haha

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    KnightBrolaire likes this.
  10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

straight up ricard's rapier/assasin's dagger vs longsword duel lol

takotakumi likes this.
  11. bostjan

Last night's episode was pretty good, huh?

I was wrong about one prediction, and a lot of characters are developing in different ways now. There was a little bit of action last night, but moreso building up to new things.

What is Littlefinger up to? Is Arya still naive enough to fall into his trap?

What do you think of the dream team of Jon, Gendry, Tormund, Jorah, Sandor, and Beric? I find it interesting that all of those characters have, in a way, been brought back to life, and they are going to face the Army of the Dead.

12. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

The dream team seems sweet, can't wait to see Beric mow down some undead with the flaming sword. :lol:

As far as Arya goes, I don't think it really boils down to naivety on her part, but rather Littlefinger's experience. Arya, for all skills in assassination, doesn't have Littlefinger's experience or insight. Littlefinger is likely someone that has already survived multiple plots against him, and may even recognize Arya's training as being the mark of the Faceless Men. He probably simply recognized the situation that he was in and took preemptive measures. It's also not surprising that he know he was being watched even when he couldn't physically detect Arya doing so, simply because he probably has finely honed instincts in that respect. For my part, during the scene in which Arya found the scroll under his mattress, I knew that it was likely a plant, and that, at the very least, he was aware of her presence in his room.

13. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

the warhammer action is so cool!. About time we got some brutal weaponry rather than swords. Smashing the dudes face in was sweeet. I cant wait to see the dream team in battle!. Thats suich a great team too. Also Dany..."I didnt give you permission to leave" to John?. She <3's him haha. Cant wait for next weeks ep. Trouble is I can see this series ending on a cliff hanger and we are going to have what a 2 year wait until the final season?. Sidenote Littlefinger is such a douche. Cannot stand him

14. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Best line ever...."The big woman?"

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  15. bostjan

That one was pretty good.

There hasn't been much time for romance in Game of Thrones, but there was in past years.

One prevalent theory is that Jon Snow and Danerys are going to become an item, since they were basically prophesied to go there, and since there seems to be some awkward chemistry between them. Every time I hear this theory, though, I can't help but think of how it would happen kind of like Joe Dirt...
    A) Targaryans are known for their penchant for incestuous relationships.
    B) Dany finds out
    Jon is actually the son of her brother and Ned Stark's sister.
    C) Suddenly Dany has the hots for Jon.
    Just like Joe Dirt, when
    he thought Jaime Pressley's character was his sister.

EDIT: Cool, you can nest spoiler tags!
    Woot!

16. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I like where its going but ..

Not sure how I fell about the Gandry thing .it feels a bit like they had this story arc that really went no where so they just chucked him into the mix to tie it off.

see what they do with it

17. Element0s

Element0s Low Fantasy/Black Denim

I do feel like many of the episodes this season have been rushed, or even forced at times. The high points have been great but there have been more annoying cringy fan-service moments than previous seasons.

The Lannister vs. Targaryan battle was very good and I generally enjoy all the Jon Snow moments

18. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Throwing in "new" characters with less than ten episodes remaining (he's been gone and unmentioned so long that he almost is) in the series seems stupid, but I guess the magnificent seven needed some more cannon fodder as the hound, Jon, and probably Tormund are invincible right now.

One thing that is really bad this season is the attempt to have sexual tension between Jon and Daenerys. There is literally zero between the actors. Jon just looks constipated in every scene with her, and she just looks smug. Every romance with either on the show has been carried by the other actor (Ygritte being the best example). Put the two together, and we see how little charisma they really have!!

Littlefinger is still a POS. Good job manipulating Arya, though, since now she's ALSO kind of a POS. I just wanted to smack her in every scene she was in this week, she's becoming unbearable. I guess probably by design, but ugh.

19. bostjan

Maybe Littlefinger turn out to secretly be the hero of the entire plot... :squint: :lol:

SD83 likes this.
  20. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

I don't dislike her that much, but with her and Sansa, I'd root for Sansa by now, but every time I think she is finally understanding the game, she just returns to being old Sansa again. I would have liked to see more of the woman who set Ramsays dogs loose on him, but it seems that's not about to happen in season 7. But as for Arya, at least this season I care about her. Reading the books, after she arrived in Bravos, I soon started skipping her chapters alltogether. They could as well have given Gendry half a dozen chapters of him just rowing, it would have done exactly the same for the story and would have been about as entertaining.

As for Jon & Daenerys... I think the whole romance thing kind of comes across from her part. I agree that it has been done better (and worse), but if you want to, you can read that into her. Jon on the other hand seems to be worried about the White Walkers 24/7.