Gaining muscle when on weight loss diet?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Veldar, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Veldar

Veldar Is Post-Thrash?

Yo guys, I've been steadily losing weight over the last year from 120 Kg to about 84 Kg now and so far I haven't worried about any muscle, mostly because I've never had any, but I'd like to get to a point where my arms look good in live photos and actually fit the shirts that I wear.

The diet I've (mostly) been on is based on eating generally healthy food and keeping the amount smaller than my body uses each day (basic stuff to most of you guys). but now that I've started to get some muscle and can see the fat sink to the bottom of my arms I'm wondering if its possible to keep the weight loss going on & have the muscle growing/sustained and if that helps with the weight loss.

Anyways,
    Cheers, Sam.

2. vent187

vent187 SS.org Regular

Lift heavy, and make sure your protein intake is high - 2 gm per kg of your body-weight.

3. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

4. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

I'd eat a lot of chicken and fish. That protein intake needs to be there. You can look for things kinda high in carbs, and low fat. You can lift heavy, or do more sets with more reps. I tend to do both.

I'm no professional, but I filled out to the point where (before my accident) my friends would give me .... for doing too many curls n stuff.

5. proshare

proshare SS.org Regular

It is possible, especially if you're a beginner. You will put on muscle fairly quickly when starting.[​IMG]

6. Josh Delikan

Josh Delikan SS.org Regular

The whole bulking/cutting thing is a complete myth. People just use it as an excuse to get fat when they're not taking their clothes off for summer.

The key thing is not overall calories, but that you remain in a positive nitrogen balance. This isn't as daunting or as complicated as it sounds - as long as you take in at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, you'll build muscle. If you keep your carbs and fats relatively low in the process, you'll build muscle and lose fat simultaneously.

7. Silence2-38554

Silence2-38554 SS.org Regular

This. I'd check out Stronglifts for sure.

8. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

Best option I found to make large muscle gains while cutting weight was Intermittent Fasting.

Worked like magic for me when I was committed/doing it full time.

9. kootenay

kootenay SS.org Regular

I am kind of in the same boat right now. I am still loosing the excess fat I had on me from being a lazy bitch, but I want to be making muscle gains at the same time. I was doing kickboxing and jiu jitsu 3-4 times a week and that melted the fat off me real quick, but once all the fat was gone I realized I was a skinny bitch. So I dropped the kickboxing and started lifting in place of it. I am trying to stick to a lifting plan suited for hard gainers and skinny dudes and it is working. But the protein in take is key! I already eat lean and mean, but I am now doing a half portion supplement in the morning everyday and a full portion later in the evening. The guys at my gym that are into lifting swear by night time protein intakes since your body does a vast majority of its rebuilding /healing while you are sleeping. Something to consider at least.