Gain Reduction vocal comp live? With Automation

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by lewis, Nov 17, 2018.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Ok so my band has 2 vocalists with very different techniques to each other.

We have plans for a sophisticated all in one live rack case built around an interface. Probably the 18i20.
    Anyhow, i wonder if Gain reduction (seperate instance on both vocal) works well live? Even if subtle?

Could also automate it to do different degrees of compression depending on the part of the song.

Anyone had any experience using GR live?
    Seems a better direction than a physical vocal fx pedal.

2. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

Sure...it will do what it is supposed to do.
    But a compressor on the vocal mic will increase the risk of feedbacks.

Especially when automated, because the foh engineer won't be able to set his levels right. You would constantly battle against each other.

I would rather work on my vocal techniques in order to get the desired consistency and leave compression entirely to the foh engineer.

lewis likes this.
  3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Ok so it would be better to be subtle and not automated?
    noted.

Also, the plan will be use 2 FRFR monitors live as our "monitors". No cabs or extra mics behind us.
    If we eventually all use full in ear monitoring with no stage wedges or cabs/extra mics, would we still run the risk of feedback?

also one of our 2 vocalists is very very good with multiple techniques. Its more about consistency between having 2 out n out vocalists every show.

4. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

In ear monitoring is a different animal tough as it is not prone to feedbacks.

But what if you told the foh engineer about yor two vocalist issues upfront?
    I mean...he has all the tools you need for vocal compression.
    Let him do the work.
    Let him compress the hell out of the vocals for foh and give you a mild compression for monitoring.

lewis likes this.
  5. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Are you using GR for distortion FX on the vocals and squashing the crap out of them? If that's the case, you're probably gonna have to deal with feedback from the FOH and your monitors on stage. IME most FOH engineers aren't running a ton of compression on vocals, just enough to even out wild peaks, and even less on guys who are screaming, as they are less dynamic anyways. I haven't done sound in any real capacity it awhile, but just about any time a vocalist had his own FX, it was a mess. Are you planning on just sending a stereo mix to FOH for shows?

lewis likes this.
  6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

because my local scene the "soundguys" are not soundguys at all and merely bar staff asked to just "supervise" the show. So none of them know what they are doing. (ive gigged this scene for the last 10+ years so I know)
    They are mostly there to uphold the stupid "no moshpit" rules that exist in my local city's venues.

I want to bring my own mix to all shows via laptop/interface rack case that includes - vocal efx, backing track etc etc.

Will also bring my own FRFR monitors for our own stage sound rather than rely on crap in-house ones. This includes (thanks to the advice in this thread) running wet/compressed vocals to FOH and dry vocals to stage to avoid feedback issues. Our vocalist will take a FOH mix to his IEM also

EDIT: Yes GR will also be used to do the lofi effect on vocals in certain places too.

7. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

You can always try it. I would suggest setting up your vocal FX at "live and loud" volumes and don't overdo it on the distortion/gain on microphones. When I think of that plugin its almost always the "squash all dynamics with a heavy limiter and then distort the crap out of it" sound, which rarely, if ever works for vocals live.

lewis likes this.
  8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

the good thing is though there is a separate mix knob to blend it so hopefully that should work.

Also, yeah we have our own rehearsal space and own P.A so we can set it all up at live/loud volumes and dial in the perfect amounts.