G Major 2 - replacements

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by r33per, Sep 5, 2017.

1. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

I'm feeling a bit of an itch to replace my TC Gmaj2. It's pretty good but it can have some lag between present changes. I'm a bit out of the game so I wouldn't mind being pointed in the right direction...

Requirements:
    1. Rackmount, 1U
    2. MIDI
    3. Ideally able to route effects and use something like a 4CM

Amp/cab sim is not essential, but if it's there, sure.

2. odibrom

odibrom .

I have a G-Force and I like it. It ain't the best at the moment (and will never again will be) but it rocks big time... no 4 cable method though, unless you'll go mono and do a huge gymnastic in the effects routing.

On the other hand, there's also the G-System, but I don't know if it will fit in your rig. It has MIDI and 4 cable method, but also has some things that turned me down when I was on that same boat of upgrading my FX unit.

Then, there's the Digitech GSP1101 (1u rack), the Rocktron prophessy 2 (2u rack), Eventide h8000 fw (super expensive unit, super high quality, 2u rack), Digidesign eleven rack (2u rack), the unbeaten Fractal Audio AXE FX (super quality, very expensive unit, 2u rack), and the Line 6 Helix (pedalboard or 3u rack)... Anything else that I might have overlooked?

r33per likes this.
  3. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

Cheers!

I do have a mono rig (space, money and spousal considerations prevent stereo...) so I'm not adverse to that.

As for the G-System gripes, would you mind sharing them?

4. odibrom

odibrom .

Well, for start, the G-System doesn't work without its pedalboard, which is only receptive to 2 expression pedals one of which is volume only. The other part is that apparently it won't generate MIDI signal from its pedalboard to control other MIDI gear... or so I've read in the Triaxis Facebook Group, do not believe me on this, test it first. I was to go for a 4 Cable Method, but I can only find it with heavier gear like Fractal's AXE FX, 11Rack or Line 6's Helix. GSP1101 also does the 4 cable method, but was limited on some parameter that I found not too good to choose it. So I ended up on a used (obviously) G-Force by 100€ + 70€ of repairs and it is rocking big time. I let go of the 4 cable method and am not regret. I feel I like the guitar directly into the Triaxis...

r33per likes this.
  5. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

People probably get sick of me saying this, but been an 1101 user since 09. I thought about just going all pedals with my loop switcher. But the Whammy, Univibe, delay and flanger alone have kept it in the rack. It's a great brain for a midi rig and has worked well with every head I've used. I don't even use the modelling anymore really.

chopeth, r33per and odibrom like this.
  6. maggotspawn

maggotspawn SS.org Regular

I don't have any lag with my G Major 2 when switching presets. What firmware do you have in yours?

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I also came in here to recommend the GSP1101.