Fujigen Branded Guitars

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Milchek, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Milchek

Milchek SS.org Regular

This is a thread for Fujigen branded guitars. Obviously the Fujigen plant build guitars for Ibanez and other companies (Fujigen made Fenders are renowned apparently), but I don't hear much about Fujigen's own line/brand of guitars - and they look really fucking good!

[​IMG]

Any owners in here? Share your thoughts and photos?

pylyo, dirtool and Randy like this.
  2. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

I don't own any FGN instruments but I got my hands on a Fujigen Neo Classic Jazz Bass from a friend and that's a really cool instrument. If I ever find my DI tracks again I can upload them for you guys to play around with.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I've played a handful of the Les Paul and Tele copies they've made over the years, including some recent ones, and for the price they're hard to beat.

Unfortunately, you don't see them too much outside of Japan. They've only in the last couple years have gotten a couple consistent distributors in Europe and other parts of Asia.

There are some Reverb stores who sell them regularly.

They're very, very different than what they build for Ibanez. Very reminiscent of lower-tier Japanese ESP/EII/Edwards/Navigator, which is probably thier closest competition.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  4. Milchek

Milchek SS.org Regular

What are the necks like? I also notice they use their 'Circle Fretting System (CFS)' - any noticeable difference?

The prices are actually pretty good, especially for the specs, and ultimately it's the same factory Prestiges are coming from, so I get the feeling the price point is because they don't have a market/brand like Ibanez Prestige does, or they're lesser skilled workers are pumping these out.

5. MaxOfMetal

The necks vary, but they're similar to the guitars they're emulating: LP necks feel like LP necks, Tele necks feel like Tele necks, etc.

I haven't played much of the super strat stuff, but nothing has felt like Ibanez. In fact, if it wasn't for the fact we know Fujigen builds Ibanez guitars you wouldn't know they were related.

The thing is that they are contractually bound not to use Ibanez specs and hardware.

Per the "Circle Fretting" I didn't notice it at all. I'm pretty sure it's a gimmick.

6. pylyo

pylyo SS.org Regular

Don’t think it’s a gimmick, as the fretwork is amazing and sounds that amazing on the higher frets too, always effortless to play, no matter what guitar. But those higher end guitars are just out of this world.
    Read some reviews of their Masterfield models and what jazzers have to say about them.
    Also, don’t think they are lower-tier of anything, more so, at least in most cases, better than those brands named in above post or at least on the same level as Navis but deffo better than Edwards or entry level ESPs.
    Owned tons of high end japanese guitars, still have couple of them (2x Momose, Crews) and still own 2 FGNs (Masterfield with p90s and an Iliad tele).
    Fretwork is godly as well as is attention to details and build quality, one of the best in bussines IMO and Masterfield might just be the best guitar I owned and I owned tons of boutique guitars (hubers, hartungs, modern eagles, tons of Mayones, blackmachines, suhrs, etc..).
    So yeah, you can’t go wrong with any of their guitars but of course the higher the model, the better and fancier it gets.
    and check this, due to their relatively unknown name, you will get a 2nd hand top end FGN in MINT condition for a price of a new LTD or Ibanez premium, mind blowing.

FGN was once called History, same quality, a bit different designs but some super cool features, like old woods they used on their top end models...

that's how you do a long tenon ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  7. Siggevaio

Siggevaio SS.org Regular

They look awesome and as a person that often has been drawn to guitars made in Japan I don't know why I haven't bought one. I see them for sale quite often in Sweden (online), but I haven't tried one.

I know that Bruce Bouillet (from Racer X) plays FGN guitars.

8. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

I just recently learned about them and they definitely captured my interest. A bit hard to find in the US though.

9. dirtool

dirtool SS.org Regular

always gasing a jmy7, I assume they are prestige (or above) quality.

10. Albake21

There's no way they are on par with Prestige, at least judging by price. They are pretty cheap in USD. Maybe @MaxOfMetal can comment on that. On Reverb right now I can get a jmy7 for only $890 to $960 brand new.

11. pylyo

pylyo SS.org Regular

Easily on pair with prestiges.
    Probably even better fretwork.

12. Albake21

Shit... if this is true I seriously want to try one then.

13. MaxOfMetal

No marketing or middleman (Ibanez) let's them keep the price low.

aesthyrian and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  14. Albake21

So they really are on par or better in quality?

15. dirtool

dirtool SS.org Regular

The CFS means the frets are slightly curved, because the strings of guitar spread like a circle, slightly curved frets obtain right angle to strings, which makes better intonation and harmonic.
    [​IMG]
    Another feature of jmy7 is asymmetrical neck profile, thicker on the low side and thinner on the treble side, you will have more meat on riffing and easier for shredding.
    [​IMG]

16. MaxOfMetal

The quality is from very good to great.

It's important to separate FGN from Ibanez.

It's not like the Prestige bar is set so unbelievably high or, contrary to @pylyo experience, that these FGN guitars are on some other worldy "godly" level.

They're great guitars in general and an absolute steal if you can get a hold of one.

aesthyrian and Albake21 like this.
  17. Albake21

It's not that I find Prestige to be absolutely amazing, I just like using it as a gauge of quality. Prestige to me was always the level of quality that was excellent enough to me.

18. MaxOfMetal

Then I don't see you being disappointed in FGN at all. Again, great quality. :agreed:

Albake21 likes this.
  19. pylyo

pylyo SS.org Regular

my experiences with them, especially with higher end models, is super positive.
    Never said they were godly but IMO with Ibanez prestiges you don't get that lvl of attention to detail, nor the build quality,
    eventhough they are made from the same hands/folks.

Here where I live, we have quite a few FGN guitars in the shops and yet I haven't played a single one that was bad or dud.
    We also have tons od Ibanez guitars, good in general but we all know how those can be :))

The only gripe I have with FGN is poly finishes (I'm one of those a**holes that love nitro checkings and smell of it) and sometimes a bit too funky designs on some parts of guitars.
    Other than that FGN is easily top shelf brand.

Btw check the fretwork of some models, as well as how inlays are perfectly fitted.
    That's a J custom territory.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And some cheaper models:
    [​IMG]

aesthyrian likes this.
  20. pylyo

pylyo SS.org Regular

Check these 2 reviews too, I have the exact same models, even the same colors, except masterfield is fitted with p90s and it sounds glorious.
    Which I forgot to mention, their pickups are very, very good too.