FS: RG7CST

Discussion in 'Guitars For Sale / Trade / Wanted' started by Drew, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Well, I've been toying with the idea of selling this one for rather a while now, and I hate to let it go, but ultimately I'm just not playing it, so...

The guitar in question is a 1999 Ibanez RG7CST. It hardly needs an introduction, but it's a 2nd generation Ibanez J-Custom piezo-equipped seven string guitar. Think of it as the granddaddy of the 2027, but with a few twists, a flamed maple top and an ebony fretboard cheif amongst them.

Not counting this one, I've seen three others of these up for sale (out of a best guess total of 15-18 based on serial numbers), and this one seems to be the cleanest. There's a small match-head sized ding on the top edge of the body that a prior owner tells me was caused by a whammy bar, there's a similar sized chip in the back that was apparently filled in at the factory and then cleared over (it took me a few days of staring at the thing before I noticed), and there's a slight imprint a little above it about 2-3mm long, and another tiny ding right behind the point where the top edge and upper contour meet,on the back. Aside from that, there's some very minor pimpling on the bass side of the trem (about three needlepoint dots you can see from a foot or two away, and about as many nearly invisible smaller ones), and a handful of hairline beltbuckle scratches right at the edge of the trem cavity (I recieved it without a trem cover). That's really about it - it doesn't even have much in the way of polishing swirls.

In terms of tone and feel, this thing strikes me as something designed to take down a PRS. The neck is a bit girthier than your typical Ibanez, but still fast, smooth, and comfortable - if any of you have played a 2027, they feel identical to me (although I haven't played one in probably 3 years, so take that with a grain of salt). Fretwire is heavier than my PWH (which, granted, has been through hell and back and could very well have been refretted), and about on par with a 7620's - jumbo frets, giving you plenty to grab onto. The pickups are stock, and I'm not entirely sure what they are, but they sound great. Like all mahogany guitars, it lacks the depth of basswood, but it's got a lot of lower-mid impact, and due to the ebony board and maple top, quite a bit more snap than one would suspect. Like I said, think PRS more than Gibson. Cleans are absolutely gorgeous, and in fact I hate to admit it, but that's really what I'm going to miss the most, through my amp's clean channel, it's just incredibly lush and complex. Distorted, it's articulate and defined, chunky without being bass-heavy or wooly in the low end, and exactly as powerful as you'd expect a mahogany bodied, maple topped guitar to be.

Pictures are available at www.drewpeterson.org/CSTforsale.html, to guage condition, get a feel for the top, or whatever. I'm asking $2700 shipped in the continental US - I'd prefer to sell it domestically, but I won't rule out selling it abroad provided the buyer is willing to pick up shipping. Currently, it's in need of a fresh set of strings and a fret polish - I'll do this for the buyer if he or she prefers (I'm not a professional tech, but I've been doing my own work for years and consider myself quite competent) and set it up with the buyer's preferred guage (and, if possible, brand) of strings, but if you'd rather get it out the door ASAP and do the work yourself as sort of a "getting to know you" excersize with the new guitar, I can just give her a quick wipedown, check the tune, and pack her up and get her in the mail. She's currently strung up with Elixer 9-42's with an Elixer 56 B and action around the 2.0 mark, but the neck will take slightly lower before buzzing becomes an issue. She'll come in a pristine UV1000 case.

PM or e-mail me with questions or to express interest, although if you e-mail me, post here to say so, as I only check the address linked from my profile about once a day.

I'm not really looking for trades, but I suppose I'd consider a good player 7620 or a Schecter C7 as a partial trade.

And, just for the hell of it, one of the pics:

[​IMG]

2. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

Nicest playing seven I've ever laid my hands on.

3. Ken

Ken Forum MVP

I feel for you, and I sold mine for the same reason you're selling yours. I was beautiful, sounded awesome, but was basically ignored. Doesn't really make sense, reading that after I typed it. True, nonetheless.

I would like to have piezos in one of my guitars, because that was nice to have.

I guess the CST was just too nice of a guitar for me. I've never been a boutique sort of fella. Give me a workhorse any day of the week.

4. Shannon

Shannon Lord Super Awesome Contributor

Man, you are incapable of writing a description that isn't novel-length. :fawk:

While I don't have the $$$, would you accept my left arm with a sides of fries?

5. Ken

Ken Forum MVP

The CST deserves that much verbage, IMO. Plus, if you're gonna ask 2,700 for a guitar, you better be sellin' like a felon. Hmm. Probably won't say that again.

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:lol:

Eh, and there's no way to say this without sounding like a whiney little emo punk, butmy PWH speaks to me in a way that this one doesn't. Part of it is the fact the thing's totaled, so I don't feel bad about tooling on it, but... Idunno. Somehow I connected with that guitar in a way that I didn't with this one.

To make the same analogy someone else once did around here, the CST is that really hot girl you went on a few dates with, whereas the PWH is the one that, while not quite as visually arresting (although still pretty damned cute), you just hit it off with and felt comfortable around. You don't regret dating the first, but at the same time you have no question which one you could spend the rest of your life with.*

*let it be said I'm working on a bottle of bourbon.

EDIT - basically, what Ken said. :lol:

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

My dick is big. Your dick is small.

:fawk:

8. Chris

I predict that this thread will get a lot of views. And you're so right about the thing being worth every dime, playing it is like caressing a beautiful woman. You want to touch her is many places as possible without pissing her off, and deep down you're pretty much terrified of breaking her. :lol:

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:lol:

Oh my god, that's perfect.

10. David

David je t'aime Contributor

ooh, I know what you mean!

11. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Man, i knew before even seeing who'se thread this was (on the front page) that this was drews guitar. Good luck \m/

12. DecrepitMortality

DecrepitMortality Guitar God

i fucking want it! for real! wanna make a trade...ill give you my jem for it.. no joke

13. Chris

No offense bro, but this isnt a Jem he's selling, more like two highend Jems. There were less than 20 of these made.

14. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Yeah, they sell used for more than a JEM LISTS for.

15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

15-18 is the best guess I've seen, and, um, nothing personal, but I'm not really looking for a trade, especially for a 6... :/

16. Ken

Ken Forum MVP

I think list on that guitar was 2,999 if I remember right, and 2,700 for one in mint condition is a decent price given the availablility or lack thereof.

17. DecrepitMortality

wow thats insane! i had no cluw what model that guitar was ive seen it once before, had no clue how much it was worth.so equivalent to two jems thats insane. how much do these things go for new? i saw this video with wes borland showing his new guitar and it was this one. it was just amazing i like the piezos too...ps. i am in no way a supporter of limp bizkit i randomly found the video on google video lol

18. DecrepitMortality

by the way ken, i was wondering about that 1077xl, i want to buy one, how are they? and where would i go about getting one?

19. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Well, they don't go for new - they did a limited run in '99, and that was it. And this is the first of Wes Borland having one I've heard - especially since he's since moved away from 7's...

It's not quite dead mint, but it's one of the cleanest players I've ever seen, and a strong 9 out of 10, I'd say.

20. DecrepitMortality

does anyone here know anything about importing jap ibanez guitars? I was looking at some of the higher end ibanez 7s and i found the rg8127f and the 2077. any clue if the local music store could get one imported if they are an authorized ibanez dealer? and does anyone know anyhting/played one of these guitars. i know that the 8127 is a japanese j. custom so i suspect it will be nice. ive playedthe 6 string jcustoms with the vine inlays and they were really nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.