FS: Bare Knuckle Pickups (Painkiller, Nailbomb, Warpig, etc)

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by zimbloth, Mar 18, 2008.

1. El Caco

El Caco Djavli te ponesli Contributor

Just wondering Nick, would I or any other Aussie be better off getting these from you or directly from Bareknuckle, say a set of Nailbomb 7's for example. Can you get these in different colours like cream or zebra cream?

2. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

Steve, I'm not sure. Is the AUD/GBP exchange rate more favorable to you than the AUD/USD exchange rate? Is shipping considerably cheaper from England to Australia rather than USA to Australia? I doubt it but that's for you to decide I suppose :)

That said, I'm selling them for considerably less than what they cost direct. I'd certainly appreciate your business, but if it was a better deal for you to get them from BKP, I of course understand. I can PM you a quote if you'd like.

PS: BKP 7-strings are aonly available in black unfortunately. The 6-strings have a plethora of options, but not the 7s or 8s.

3. Used666

Used666 SS.org Regular

Could you PM me prices on a Nailbomb/Cold Sweat 7 set? Thanks.

4. zimbloth

PM sent :yesway:

5. ohio_eric

ohio_eric Contributor

Since everyone is getting all worked up about ordering Bare Knuckle Pickups, I am as well, I think now would be a good time to pass along a wee bit advice passed onto me by Tim Mills himself.

Just though I'd share a bit advice before Nick gets swamped with orders. Some of the best sounding clips on the BKP websire, IMO, are of the VHIIs which are by no means high gain brutes.

6. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

When I put my order in with Tim I told him I needed some versatility and that
    I play more lead than rhythm and he suggested the Nailbomb over the Warpig and I'm soooooooooooooooo glad he did.
    That pickup in the bridge just sings and it can still get pretty "brutal" for lack of a better word. (I hate that term:mad:)

It handles different levels of gain really well.
    It's more organic sounding and open sounding than the Warpig, and if I was only playing metal with my Carvin I would 've gone with the Warpig, but the Nailbomb let's me do so much more than just metal.:agreed:

7. zimbloth

With all due respect to Tim, each amp and/or guitar responds favorably to differently kinds of pickups. While some will indeed sound better with lower output pickups, others really sound much better with hotter ones. I don't like generalizing too much.

It's sound advice but I've never heard anyone not thrilled with their ceramic BKPs. That said I'm fairly certain the Nailbomb and Warpig are alnico V's.

Thanks for posting his comments though, that's cool of you :yesway:

That's cool to know, sounds awesome :metal:

8. FortePenance

FortePenance SS.org Regular

I'd hope so. I found with some 6-string PAFs they sounded spectacularly clear for metal and they were rated at like 8k or so but then the PAF7s on the Apex were just absolutely not my thing at all for teh metalz.

Zimb, your post about the exchange rates got me thinking. Would you be able to send me a PM about 6-string/7-string Warpigs? Thanks a bunch. :metal:

9. zimbloth

I just had a nice long talk with Tim Mills @ Bare Knuckle Pickups. What a pleasure that was, very informative. I implore you guys to read on regarding what he had to say.

Before I get there however: those of you who placed orders with me should be glad to know he has received your order. Those of you still interested in getting in on shipment #1 still have until the end of the day Monday - due to that day being a national holiday in Great Britain.

I asked many questions of him regarding his various models and that was very eye opening. I got the full in-depth run down on what makes the Nailbomb, Cold Sweat, Painkiller, Miracle Main, etc so unique and special.

What I found most interesting however - and what I think many of you will as well - was his description of the "Holy Diver" pickup. Now before I continue, I think it would be inappropriate to name names here so I'll tread carefully. Let's just say however: the pickup Dave, Mike and others here often complain about regarding its loose bass response and change (arguably for the worse) over time was the basis of the Holy Diver. He claims over the years that pickup changed and became more nasally, became hotter, less sweet on the high end, and more flubby on the low end. He claims the Holy Diver is the solution to that.

Apparently the Holy Diver has tight yet warm bass response, rich midrange growl that's not honky, sweet organic highs, articulate yet juicy pick attack, and sustain that seemingly lasts forever - all while capturing a lot of what people loved about that other pickup. I know that sounds like catalog talk but he seemed really genuine about it and proceeded to tell me some stories about well known artists who used those pickups on various albums (including one where Tim himself actually played on the CD), and it sounds really special. Even in an Ibanez RG (which traditionally wouldn't be a good match for the aforementioned pickup).

So, while it appears those familiar with BKP adore the Nailbombs, Painkillers, Warpigs, Coldsweats, etc - it seems like the Holy Diver may be a cool model to keep in mind as well. Just some food for thought :)

Personally I'm going with the Nailbomb. After talking to him at length about what I'm looking for I'm confident that will be just what the doctor ordered :metal:

That's because the 6-string PAFs are alnico and the PAF7s are ceramic. There's more to it than that of course but thats a huge difference.

Absolutely, I'll send that right over :yesway:

10. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

*AHEM* Duncan JB *AHEM*

11. zimbloth

I'll leave that up to your judgment, I don't want to name names.

12. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

:D That's OK. I can do it for you.

Because you've just described it perfectly, and it's dead on, based on what Tim says. So, take that advice too, fellas!

13. eelblack2

eelblack2 Fewel Contributor

Nick, may I please have a quote for a Warpig7, Nailbomb7, and Cold Sweat7. I'll most likely be ordering all three. Please let me know payment method that works for you as well - Ive been sitting on the fence long enough, and I want to get my hands on these. Do I need to make any specifications of bridge vs neck or is it a one size fits all kind of deal?

14. ohio_eric

ohio_eric Contributor

15. Groff

Groff Medicine Chief/RHLC© Contributor

I sent a PM this morning, hopefully I can get on the first order. That would be sweet! :metal:

Nailbomb 7 here I come!

16. WarriorOfMetal

WarriorOfMetal The Dragonrider Contributor

so, the Holy Diver should theoretically sound good in the bridge position of a guitar with Jackson-esque specs, right? (alder body, maple neck, ebony board)

hmm...

17. zimbloth

Ok dude I'll send that info right over to you now. Yes let me know if you want a neck or bridge. You won't be disappointed man :metal:

Nice, thanks for the link. Tim also told me they're COMPLETELY overhauling their website to something much more state of the art, with better clips, etc. That should be cool (even though I've never been a fan of webclips :)).

Yes, as would the Nailbomb. That's what he recommended for my Rico Jr.

PM replied.

18. ohio_eric

ohio_eric Contributor

Tim's been promising to overhaul the website for a few years now. :lol:

19. zimbloth

Just reporting what he told me :)

20. Groff

Groff Medicine Chief/RHLC© Contributor

Sweet!!

Payment sent. Time to play the waiting game. :D