FS: Bare Knuckle Pickups (Painkiller, Nailbomb, Warpig, etc)

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by zimbloth, Mar 18, 2008.

1. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

Depends on the makeup of the guitar, but the Nailbomb (with ceramic magnet), Painkiller, Aftermath, Cold Sweat, etc could all be good options. The Abraxas and Holydiver are wonderful pickups but not for an 8-string IMO.

I would suggest the C-Warpigs or Holydiver for this guitar. Those play really well with bright guitars like this. Output can always be adjusted with pickup height. Also the Lundgren The One pickup is a great choice here.

I would suggest the Rebel Yell or Emerald, both great choices here!

I could not disagree with your friends enough. The C-Bomb is super tight and clear, if its sounding boomy to you the problem may be with the inherent tone of the guitar or the amp. I also don't really like 5153's so that could be part of the problem. It is bright though, yes.

If you want something tight but not shrill, I would suggest looking into the Rebel Yell, Black Hawk, ceramic Warpig, or even some of the lower output models like the Mule and Black Dog. Also you may want to look into the Lundgren M6 (or M7 if youre talking about a 7-stringer). Tight as hell but thick.

Agreed.

2. Yianni54

Yianni54 SS.org Regular

Hey Nick!! I have a Music Man majesty. Looking for a thrash metal pickup that will suit this guitar. I was considering a painkiller in the bridge cold sweat neck. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks

3. zimbloth

What do you tune to? For thrash metal in a Majesty, I would lean towards the Nailbomb or Miracle Man, but the Painkiller is good too. I find the Painkiller better suited for lower tuned, tight, modern metal with lots of top end sizzle. In some situations it can be a bit too bright. The Nailbomb and Miracle Man are bright too, but have a smoother midrange characteristic that I think lends itself well to thrashier styles. The Painkiller is more at home with modern, dare I say "djentier" tones.

4. Yianni54

Yianni54 SS.org Regular

Thanks Nick!

5. Yianni54

Yianni54 SS.org Regular

I tune to standard and drop d mostly. Im leaning toward the painkiller. Would you go calibrated? It is a bright majesty with the illuminators in it. thanks

6. jllozano

jllozano SS.org Regular

What is better in an ESP M1 (alder,ebony board,single bridge pup guitar) for death metal... C-blackhawk, C-Nailbomb or C-pig?? or maybe some other?

7. zimbloth

The Illuminators are bright, and so are the Painkillers. If youre looking to add more punch to that guitar, I would go with the Holydiver, Nailbomb, etc.

C-Pig 100% in the ESP M1. Perfect match, have installed many a Warpig in alder ESPs.

8. ADevilsDaydream817

ADevilsDaydream817 i

Ive got a 1991 PRS CE24 with a maple neck and fretboard, alder body and i believe maple top and was wondering what kind of BKP recommendation you would have for something like this? The guitar naturally cuts really well so something to balance and still provide punch for playing metal. thanks

9. Gravy Train

Gravy Train Night Fiddler

Good morning Nick, first time poster in this thread. I have 2 PRS Mike Mushok baritones (ebony board, maple neck and mahogany body; 27.7 inch scale length). Would the Aftermath or Blackhawks suit these guitars better for a full sound (clean and distorted) whilst also being lower output and clear?

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

Hi Nick, I've got an 8 string guitar with an aftermath in the bridge (swamp ash body with ebony top, ebony/wenge neck with ebony fretboard). I'm not really meshing with the metallic djenty sound on single notes. Any recommendations that would give me the same level of clarity as an aftermath but less of that harshness? I usually play stuff like Karnivool, Mastodon, Kyuss, High on Fire, and Animals as Leaders.

11. Simic

Simic SS.org Regular

Hey, Im looking for a BKP set for my new 7 string - mahogany body, rosewood neck, ebony top and fretboard, 26' scale, B standard. Looking for something with medium-high output with a nice tight bottom end but an overall organic sound with oomph. Im obviously looking for a brighter PU as the guitar is quite dark, Ive been thinking either A-bomb, C-bomb or Cold Sweat would be great. Music will range from rock to metal

12. zimbloth

I would suggest the Rebel Yell or C-Bomb.

13. Alex6534

Alex6534 SS.org Regular

Hey Nick, what would you recommend for a mahogany body, alder top and maple neck 7 string? Looking for something suited to hard rock and some modern metal (Alter Bridge to Periphery) kind of stuff. Lowest I tune is drop A.

14. zimbloth

I would suggest the Miracle Man if you want something with a brighter edge or Warpigs (ceramic) if you want something darker but still clear. Depending on what amp you use, you could get away with something more low/medium output too such as the Emerald.

15. Geisterfaust

Geisterfaust SS.org Regular

Hey Nick, I'm getting a 25-26", black limba body, maple top, ebony fretboard, wenge/maple neck. Currently thinking C-Bomb in the bridge and Painkiller neck. I'm going for an aggressive but balanced tone on this one. What do you think?

16. zimbloth

I think a C-Bomb/PK would be too bright for that. Black limba is not a warm wood at all. That combo will be bright, so I'd go with something a bit more balanced such as the Holydiver, C-Warpigs, or Black Hawks. If interested you can order on www.axepalace.com :)

17. Qweklain

Qweklain SS.org Regular

Looking for a little recommendation/advice. I am changing the pickups on my 7-string HSS KxK and have been looking around at my (limited) single-coil options. It is on the brighter side naturally as it is Alder body, Maple top, and Maple neck with a Birdseye Maple fretboard.

So far, I am really liking that new Impulse as it is not super hot (I do not want really hot pickups) and is tight, clear, and will not hit the preamp section hard like a lot of the other contemporary category humbuckers. I think coupling that with some Irish Tour singles in the middle and neck would be a nice combo, although it is not an official HSS set on their website.

18. zimbloth

I would suggest the Holydiver/Irish Tour in the KxK :)

19. Qweklain

Qweklain SS.org Regular

I decided to go with the Rebel Yell and Slow Hand singles. Now, I wait.

20. zimbloth

The Rebel Yells are WAY too bright for an alder body guitar. I don't think you'll like them. Maybe next time consider us for your next BKP purchase. We have good prices on them and can save you from getting a mismatched set with our knowledge on them.