FS: Bare Knuckle Pickups (Painkiller, Nailbomb, Warpig, etc)

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by zimbloth, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Acme

Acme SS.org Regular

Thanks Nick! I think I'll go with the HD set, but some say that the HD neck is very bright. Will it suit this guitar? The BKP guys are suggesting the Nailbomb neck for some reason.

2. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

The Emerald neck works much better with the HD bridge than the HD neck. I hated the HD neck, its a complete mis-match in output and tone compared to the bridge. I had that set in a bright guitar and it worked very well for lead playing.

3. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

If you want versatile, low end clarity in a guitar like that, without it sounding sterile, the impulse was pretty much designed from the ground up to deliver what you're asking for. I proto-tested it in a guitar with very similar tonewoods and it sounded fantastic.

4. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

Nick what's your take on the Impulse? I'm a curious George regarding it. I heard the clips on the BKP site and write up, plus read the thread about them here, but would like to know what you think? (Sorry if you covered this already)

5. Lilarcor

Lilarcor SS.org Regular

Btw, anyone heard from Nick lately? Been trying to contact him for like 14 days via pm and e-mail but haven't gotten any response.
    Sorry for OT but this is probably the place where the most people meet that are in contact with him.

6. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

Pretty sure they're just busy lately.
    I've been trying to cancel a pickup order I put through in January and I couldn't get a response. Got it sorted right away when I finally picked up the phone and called though.

7. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

Sorry for the late replies guys. Things have been crazy here lately, haven't gotten to check the forums as much as of late. I just hired new people to help me out with customer service related things so we'll respond faster in the future. Bear with me!

That said being said...

I dont find the HD neck too bright. I have it in two of my personal guitars: an ESP Horizon (alder/maple/ebony) and a Carvin SH60 (maple/mahogany/ebony), and in both it sounds rich, juicy, and articulate. To me the Nailbomb neck is cool but a bit too vintage and woody for my liking.

I love the Emerald neck as well, but I have not experienced the mismatch you speak of with the HD bridge/neck. May be a pickup height thing or perhaps a faulty pickup?

Hi Josh! The Impulse sounds killer, I am happy to report it sounds a lot better (to years) than the Black Hawk. Best new BKP in years IMO!

See above, sorry guys!

8. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

did you mean "to my ears"?

9. asher

asher So Did We

Gonna toss my pickups forum question here too:

Save going custom order, am I SOL trying to get a 7-string P90 set in stupid EMG active size?

10. Maximal

Maximal SS.org Regular

Hey,

I've got a Skervesen Raptor with a Sapele Body + Maple Top, the Neck is a 5 Piece Rosewood-Ebony Construction. Currently it is loaded with Aftermaths. I like the rythm tone but it is way too "cold" for lead playing. I'd like a more classic, shreddy tone but it should still keep some clarity for rythm parts. The description of the Holydiver on the Bareknuckle Page sounds pretty fitting ("A celebration of the original '80s hot-rodded humbuckers with a progressive, modern tone and wide dynamic range."), but I'm not sure if it is the right fit for this guitar.

Cheers,
    Max

11. zimbloth

Probably yeah :(

Yeah the Holydiver is amazing! I think you'd like the Rebel Yell too.

12. pott

pott SS.org Regular

Hi Nick got a MusicMan Albert Lee with the dual humbuckers (Mahogany body + Rosewood neck, 5 way switch).

Currently the bridge's custom DiMarzio sounds a little... mhmm... grainy. My non-trem version of the same guitar was a little smoother. I'm looking to add power and smoothness to the tone, tame a little of the highs, without disturbing the legendary punch this guitar possess.

My previous guitar of the same model had a BKP in there that I liked, but to not influence your advise I'll leave it aside for now, and see if I should indeed go with something new or whether I had made the right choice the first time around :p

Thanks!

13. zimbloth

Hi there. I would suggest either the Holydiver, Abraxas, or Warpig :)

14. Valco

Valco SS.org Regular

Hi Nick,

I've just bought a strandberg boden O6 in red with a maple fretboard, ash body and flamed maple top. It's loaded with seymour duncan jazz(neck) and JB (bridge)

I'm after something more snappy for the bridge, but I'd still like some nice cleans in the neck(could possibly keep the jazz, or replace it with something better?). I hear good things about painkillers, what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

15. zimbloth

I wouldn't do Painkillers in an ash/maple guitar, too bright. I would suggest the Holydiver or Warpig set :)

16. MoonJelly

MoonJelly brainless and deadly Contributor

Nick,

I've been asking around on another thread about a good single pickup for an all Jatoba guitar. It's heavy and hard wood, so I've trimmed down as much mass on it as I can.
    It's my first time building with it, but I've read it can be glassy and kinda shrill with the wrong pickups. Would a Nailbomb or C-Pig cut the mustard? Or even a Pig-90?

Thanks for your expert advice :wavey:

17. zimbloth

I definitely would go with the C-Pig!

18. TedintheShed

TedintheShed SS.org Regular

Hi Nick,
    Traded my Jackson 7 mentioned in my previous post for a Martin Acoustic as a present for my daughter's high school graduation, so the result is that I am back to 6 string, but what I have is entirely different.

I play a modded PRS Torero. This guitar is neck through, and solid Mahogany Body with Flame Maple Veneer and maple neck. Right now I am in drop D, but will probably change to drop A. I use my bridge pick up for distortion, favoring predominantly focused and brutal low end (not muddy). Seeking a more modern sound. I use my neck pick up for cleans, favoring the sound of an ultra crisp tones like an EMG S or the Lace sensors found in a Fender Strat Plus. I know that may be hard in a humbucker that splits (4 conductor), but what would come closest?

Are we still looking at Ceramic Warpigs?

19. zimbloth

Yeah the ceramic Warpigs would sound sick in a Torero. You could also do Black Hawks.

20. guy in latvia

guy in latvia SS.org Regular

Impulse or Black Hawks for basswood Ibanez RG7?