From 6- to 7-strings ...

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by joe-tofu, Jun 17, 2012.

1. joe-tofu

joe-tofu SS.org Regular

Hey guys!

I'm in a dilemma right now and my question maybe dumb :D

I started a new band in January and I wanted to switch to a seven-string for that. As always I couldn't decide on a guitar and now I wrote a couple of songs on my 6-string, that include parts that seem to be more comfortable on a 6-string in Drop-A (so: A-E-A-D-F♯-B). Of course I'm talking about licks and riffs that include the D and F#-strings.

So, what do you do in that case? Tune the 7-string to 6-string Baritone-Tuning + a high E-String or do you force yourself to play that parts just differently on the 7-string even if it's less comfortable?

2. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Try both and see which works best for your purposes.

3. Crank

Crank Mike / Made Of Hate

personally I don't like baritones, they seem to sound numb. I'd rather go for 7 string tuned to AEAdgbe and get accustomed to it. Sooner or later it will be flawless. On the other hand nobody says you can't go with your own tuning (like Tremonti for few of his songs). Tune it as you like and feel comfortable all the times ;-)

4. joe-tofu

joe-tofu SS.org Regular

Yeah, you're right. Trying both surely would be the right thing to do. Weirdo-tunings just always seem "wrong" to me, so I kinda resist tuning a guitar in a non-standard-way :D

Thanks

5. Sam MJ

Sam MJ Tries to be helpful

well, im lazy so i would get a 7 string just so i dont have to keep messing around with different tunings :D

6. mr_rainmaker

mr_rainmaker Resident Cherokee

go for the gold, 8string.

7. joe-tofu

joe-tofu SS.org Regular

Haha... that would leave me in the same situation, doesn't it? Brainfuck :D

8. mr_rainmaker

mr_rainmaker Resident Cherokee

9. jl-austin

jl-austin SS.org Regular

I have the same problem, I write just about all of my stuff on 6 strings (tuned to B standard). On my 7, I tune it like my 6 strings, except with a high E. So the top 6 strings are identical to my 6 strings (Gb instead of G). I like this tuning. For me it works VERY well, it is VERY easy to swap back and forth between them.

For me it got confusing with standard tuning (on the 7). Going between 6 and 7. So much so that I would have certain songs for each, and that just didn't work.

10. joe-tofu

joe-tofu SS.org Regular

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I love my 6 string and I don't plan on abandoning her :D For me, the 7 is mostly about better sounding low notes and an extended scale. I bought an RGD2127 yesterday - we'll see, what happens. Worst thing: I sell it and stick to my 6 strings :)

11. BenHughesDS

BenHughesDS Divine Solace

Why not just bump your current tuning up to drop B, then have a low F#? That way you can keep your current tuning/note positions and have the same sort of range as an 8 string... it's what I do and i love it being able to explore 8 string territory whilst keeping the comfort of a 7 string and the different playability of a drop tuning.