fret buzz 7 on low b string help!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by dfm86, May 26, 2018.

1. dfm86

dfm86 SS.org Regular

Hello guys, first of all of I don't know if this is the correct forum to start this thread, if it ain't, feel free to erase it or copy it some where else.

I recently bought a Jackson DK7 Pro series (2017 model with natural wood finish) that comes with an original Floyd Rose. I took it all apart because I did a totally new paint job on it and also changed the string gauge (I have no idea what the stock gauge is) to one of those fat bottoms skinny tops sets (62 low B and 09 high E). The thing is I get a terrible string buzz on the Low B string while playing open or fretted through out the whole neck!!!! I messed around with the action and truss rod and no matter what there's always that terrible buzz. The other 6 strings have no buzz at all. I don't have access to a luthier right now so, I'm pretty much gonna have to solve this one my self.

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks!

2. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Did it buzz before all the work was done and especially with the lighter strings? How hard do you pick?

Since thicker strings oscillate more you can't expect to have the same clearance with the low thicker string as you had with the lighter gauge. That is amplified with a heavier picking hand. There is no guitar I had that would have a gauge over 46 at the lowest string that would have 2mm clearance and not get some type of buzz. Let alone something closer to 60. Another cause might be a low nut that might not have been as obvious with the lighter strings in combination with really low action. Unless there imwas paint in the neck pocket due to the refinish which might have changed how your neck sits.

3. dfm86

dfm86 SS.org Regular

Yeah, I've been messing with the truss rod, action, shimmed the nut and and the fret buzz seems to be probably 30% lighter now. I think it has something to do with the string gauge. 62 probably is too high for this particular guitar which may be the reason for the buzz. My last resort will be to file the frets a little bit, although I've never done such work.

4. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    when you say messing with the truss rod, have to been adding relief to the neck, or straightening it?

you may also need to shim the neck, or tighten it, as when you put it back on, it might not have ended up as flush to the neck pocket as it did before? could be that one of the upper frets is catching. Basically, the open string is buzzing, which would not really indicate a problem with the neck relief or anything, but more with a fret higher up the board catching. So what I'd do is pull the enck off, and when you put it back on, make sure the bolts nearest to the bridge are tightened first, then tighten the others, then jiggle the neck see if you can move it by hand in the pocket.

62 shoudln't be an issue. I currently run 64 for a low A which will flop around a lot more than a taught 62 in B. I've also run 72/74 in the past as well without an issue, although they did require more clearance.