FREE Rock/Metal drum VST (and how to get br00talz tones)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by steelyad, Apr 19, 2016.

1. steelyad

steelyad Hop Pole Studios

Evening all.

I've quickly put together this video because I keep hearing mixes from younger/fresher mixers with really poor drums, and the usual excuse is "I can't afford the good stuff".

Well that excuse works no more - check out MT Power Drum Kit AU VST Drums Sampler Plugin Instrument - there's a free VST with a full kit, with splittable outputs for each drum, and a quite usable tone. Since you can split the outputs, you can mix each drum to taste to fit with your metalcore/deathgrind/lounge jazz project or whatever.

Yes you can moan about the lack of variation, but it's free. Like gratis.

I made a video talking through how to mix with it here. Sorry if it's a bit rushed but I recorded the whole video twice due to a webcam fail....

Ludgate and MechyKola like this.
  2. PhilT

PhilT SS.org Regular

your video is in my favourites now! Thanks a lot for that man!

3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I've been using this plugin for a couple months now. I quite like it.

4. steelyad

Thanks dude! Just tryin' to help out the family.

5. PhilT

PhilT SS.org Regular

Hey man, just saw your video about chaging from firewire to PCIe.

Looks like you've done it a while ago. How are you enjoying it? Did you run into any problems with drivers or stuff? Did you get yourself an octopre to connect to it in the end?

6. steelyad

Hey, I only changed a few months back, although time does fly.
    I've had zero issues, which is more than I can say for any USB/Firewire interface i've ever used.
    I already had the Octopre since 8 channels isn't enough to track a drumkit - I also got an Alesis AI3 to expand my channel count, but that's got my 70's BBC mic pres running into it since it doesn't have preamps, it's a pure ADC/DAC.

Latency is currently running at 64 samples (1.4ms) with a full mix running and it's beautiful. Soooo hassle free, I don't know why I didn't do this sooner.

7. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

Tons of great info here. Great job!

8. steelyad

Thanks guys! Should I do something similar on Steven Slate drums? They're my usual suspects, but did cost me 89 dollars (still hella cheap....)

9. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Does Slate require a dongle? I don't remember...

I'll take it slightly off topic but what card did you use for the PCIe setup? RME?

Cool video, definitely need some free drum sample options so kudos for posting that!

10. steelyad

Yes it does need an iLok unfortunately, it's a pain but quite useful in moving between my laptop and studio PC at will and keeping all the plugins working properly.

I went with the RME Raydat - it's great for what I need - if you need less IO then the AIO might be the one you need, there is no analog at all on the Raydat but I had my DAC boxes already.

-Adam

11. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Yeah, I've been toying with the idea going the same as you are, I have an ageing laptop and desktop and PreSonus FP10 setup with outboard vocal channel (Joemeek stereo preamp). The cool thing with the firewire setup is that I can take it on the road or plug it in my desktop, with PCI/PCIe I'd have to rackmount the whole thing if I want to make it roadworthy. Otherwise, the price of ADAT pres and the PCIe stability are definitely enticing...I'll still need to think about it...

The other idea I had was going with something like Audient iD24, 10 track if I get ADAT preamp, and 2 Audient pres., could be portable.