Frankly, I'm disgusted..

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Jakke, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

2. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

This is why I think we need to take a better look at the right to freedom of speech. This is dangerous stuff.

3. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

I do believe that it takes more than pills to cure any disease, you somehow have to believe that you'll be cured, it can either be a divine intervention or strong believing about your body's capacity to heal. Owever, it helps, but not as much as prescriptions drugs, especially in HIV or other really deadly deceases.

Those religious fanatics should be prosecuted for giving false "medical" advices to people who are weakened by their decease and that could easily lead to their death.

4. Sephael

Sephael Divine Paradøx Contributor

Freudian slip?

5. XEN

XEN BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS Contributor

Having grown up in and around all of that BS it's really nothing new to me, and in fact it's rather tame compared to some stuff I dealt with, especially in my own home.

One of these days I'm going to put it all in print (or the iBooks store) but for now, suffice it to say, I have renounced Christianity.

[​IMG]

6. chronocide

chronocide Total Grind Hell

Foo Fighters are in on this stuff too. Or at least they used to be and Nate Mendel definitely still is.

Well, sort of. He's a big proponent of the groups that claim "HIV isn't real, don't take your medication, you'll be fine!" Morons.

7. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

Seriously? These guys did a gig against the WBC I would've thought they'd be more savvy when it comes to that sort of thing.

8. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

I'd read that book:yesway:

9. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

Fuck that.

This pretty much confirms my suspicions that basically all evangelists are fucking stupid.

10. chronocide

chronocide Total Grind Hell

HIV Dissidence Debate | Mother Jones

That's a response from Mendel after an article had slagged Foo Fighters off for being HIV denialists.

Note, the charity he supports, Alive and Well AIDS Alternatives, was founded by the now deceased (due to AIDS) Christine Maggiore, who tested HIV+ but refused treatment and also refused to have her daughter treated, also resulting in her death.

11. Dvaienat

Dvaienat SS.org Regular

The preachers who believe this are clearly suffering from delusion. Most likely due to indoctrination in young childhood. And the worst thing is that some more deluded people will take their claims seriously and stop taking medicines. In other words they are leading people to their graves.

Religion is a complete falsity made up by the powerful to control the people. I wish people would just wake up to that fact, and stop believing in things which are both illogical and have no proof. There is no sky fairy. We have to take responsibility for our actions here, on earth, in this life.

Mr. Big Noodles likes this.
  12. Sephael

Sephael Divine Paradøx Contributor

Worse still, honestly, is that a lot of rural Africans believe that having sex with a young girl will cure the Aids

13. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I am a bit confused, this is happening in Africa or in the UK?
    If it happens in Africa I can accept that people can be misguided due to the state of most of the African countries, poverty, bad education and not easy access to information.
    If it is happening in the UK then I am shocked that people would believe these kind of claims.

14. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

Happens in the UK and the US, probably in other places too

15. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

People or churches can claim whatever they want and I disagree even joking about freedom of speech. At these day and age we have all available information do make a decision. That of course requires good judgement and a critical mind. If these people believe that prayer will cure them and not medication for whatever reasons (despair, faith, outright stupidity) then it is their choice. They will be missed by their loved ones but not by me!

Now concerning the church itself there could be a legal case of exploitation of religious beliefs since there is no scientific proof that prayer cures HIV. This is false advertizing and endangerment of human lives. If church wants to provide moral support for these people ok but leave science to scientist and medical issues to MD's.

16. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

I think we should round them all up for false advertising... After all, they are selling a product that can't be measured, quantified, or percieved in any kind of way. How is that different from a con-man selling boxes of air to little old ladies?

-We promise it'll be worth your while...

Well, I promise that if you invest 5000$ in my business, it'll be worth five times as much in 500 years. How do I know that? I know it in my heart, and it says it's true in this book I've written myself. And if you don't believe me and give me the money, I will have punish you, sorry about that, it's all out of my hands, but take comfort in that I love you and all humanity anyway.
    Ok, you can make the check out to J-a-k-o-b....

17. Waelstrum

Waelstrum All Fourths Advocate

:lol:

Basically, I agree. The great thing about freedom of speech is that when you don't like what someone is saying, you can use your own speech to counter it. I do, however, think that distributing potentially fatally bad medical advice should have legal ramifications. If a doctor knowingly prescribes the wrong medicine then it's murder, but if a church does it's faith.

18. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

And then people say I have a peculiar faith because I don't believe God has anything to do with nature's course. Pray if it strengthens you, but please, PLEASE take the darn medicine!

19. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Hahahaha so true! I have thought countless of times at how easy it would be to run a scam like this seeing how gullible are most people. Unfortunately for my pocket and fortunately as a person and my fellow humans I have a conscience and could not live with myself. But really it seems almost effortless to trick people to give you money!

20. Nimgoble

Nimgoble Wound tight

While I'm not denying the effectiveness of holistic treatments, I think it's kind of a stretch to say that it takes more than pills to cure any disease. If I have a minor bacterial infection of some sort, am given an antibiotic and am otherwise healthy, no matter how much I'm convinced I'm not going to get better, that medicine is still going to do its job.

This.

The thing is, they aren't claiming there is any scientific proof, so it isn't false advertising. Is it dangerous to listen to this advice? Sure is! But, as you said above, people should KNOW this already. The information is out there. It's time for people to stop believing whatever is spoon-fed to them and do some research. If they still choose to listen, then the consequences are on their heads. The churches aren't forcing anyone to refrain from seeking medical attention.