Frankiphone in Roadflare Red (modding an Epiphone)

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Mr-Jemhead93, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Mr-Jemhead93

Mr-Jemhead93 I think I'm profound

It's been a while since I've posted on the forum but I figured I'd document my upcoming project. I have an Epiphone les paul thats been laying around for years now and was the guitar i used for practicing guitar repairs. I always wanted to eventually mod it out and figured it would be good to practice some more! So here's the plan:

-replace the neck (original neck is busted) I ordered a chinese bolt-on neck, maple neck+fretboard with black block in lays and a blank headstock (going to shape the headstock myself)
    -Thanks to good ol' Uncle Ben Eller and the RG550 reissues i was inspired to try and attempt to put a roadflare red finish on the guitar (I already got the dayglo paint Ben Eller recommended)
    - all black hardware (knobs, pickguard, pick up rings etc) and locking grover tuners
    -I ordered some Dimarzio Imperiums with matte black covers with exposed pole pieces also going to add a coil split as well
    -add a super cool and edgy pentagram on the head stock because 16 year old me would appreciate it
    -I am debating on whether i want to add a black binding on the guitar, it would be painted on since i really don't feel like doing any wood work to the body. It just seems like its going to be too much of a hassle to try and attempt it that way. any pointers on this?

I'll be posting pics as I progress with it :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mr-Jemhead93

Ok here are some progress pictures, I drilled out the hole for the coil split wrong so i had to patch it up and re-do it. I put on the primer for the finish and painted the binding on. first time i tried just roughly tracing it and outlining with frog tape but as you can tell from the pics it did not come out too nice. I went and got some fine-line auto paint tape and rigged up a pencil to trace the outline cleaner and that seemed to do the trick! (yes I know this is some mickey mouse stuff, I'm a first timer) Just waiting for the neck to come in the mail so I can proceed with the painting.

progress pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first attempt at the sketchy binding:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second attempt at the sketchy binding:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not perfect, but as good as I'm going to get it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'm not seeing any images.

4. Mr-Jemhead93

thats weird they're popping up for me

5. Mr-Jemhead93

progress pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first attempt at the sketchy binding:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second attempt at the sketchy binding:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Not perfect, but as good as I'm going to get it
    better?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  6. Mr-Jemhead93

here are the pics for the first post as well, Like i said its been a while since I've posted on here haha
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Now they're working. The second take on the binding looks loads better. Should look great with that red.

Mr-Jemhead93 likes this.
  8. Mr-Jemhead93

The neck came in yesterday. The would has no finish so I'm going to sand with 1500 grit and use either tung oil or Danish oil for the neck. As far as the fret board goes I'm not quite sure what to do with that yet, i just know I do not like glossy maple fretboards. Any suggestions? As far as the quality for a $30 chinese neck I was expecting worse, the fret job looks rough but they aren't sharp, there are some scuff marks from when they sanded (whats the best route for getting rid of these? finer grit sand paper?) and the headstock seem to be shaped unevenly around the nut area. I put up a sketch of the headstock design I'm going to cut into it and there is some room for play at the base of the head stock[​IMG] where its uneven, but its not much. I'll also have to reshape the heel with some sanding so it fits the neck pocket nice and flush. anyways here are some pics and a link to my imgur, because for whatever reason the pictures here seem to disappear after a day or two
    https://mrjemhead93.imgur.com/all/

pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Mr-Jemhead93

Its been a minute since I've posted or had any progress done I have been pretty busy with school. Anyways I've shaped the headstock, drilled the holes for tuners, applied several coats of danish oil and added the graphtech tusq nut and grover locking tuners. Just waiting for the body to come back from the paint shop. (I decided to have someone else do it since there is no room here at home atm due to the move)

IMG_3388 (1).JPG