Frankenstein Seymour Fokin pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by DudeManBrother, Feb 27, 2018.

1. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

So after a few days with my Padalka, Ive been getting familiar with the Fokin Uppercut pickups. I can’t find any specs on them, as they are custom pickups from Russia. They are hotter than I typically go for. I like med-hot A5 types. I like to dig into the strings a lot for the brutal sounds. So as I’m enjoying the guitar, I continued to hear this grating upper mid frequency that started to drive me crazy.
    So I decided to take a Duncan Pearly Gates neck pickup, a Duncan Alternative 8 bridge pickup, a spare A5 magnet, the base plates (multi scale) and the short hex poles from the Fokins’ and build a set of hybrid pickups.
    5420D284-624F-481B-B02E-CBDA30F135CB.jpeg

They have remedied that frequency thankfully! There’s some wax that needs to be cleaned up but so far I’m really happy. The A5 adds just enough extra oomph to the PG, which is normally an alnico II. It actually pairs very nicely with the Alt 8 (alnico VIII magnet). The short pole hex heads seem to bring a punchy, bite-like quality to the pickups. Though it’s possibly due to the -volume only, no tone- circuit. They also split very nicely and the neck has one hell of a bark in split mode.
    Chances are I’ll place an order for some Elysian pickups and get something cool and custom to add to the guitar; but it was a fun afternoon project that instantly solved an immediate problem and who knows, maybe I’ll love them? I need to get to the rehearsal studio and turn up loud to get the real results.

2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Very cool pickup mods!
    Would love to hear some soundclips if you have the ability.

3. DudeManBrother

All I have at the house is my phone. If I can figure out how to capture the sound somewhat realistically and load it up I will for sure.

Kyle Jordan and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  4. DudeManBrother

Well the pickups sound great, but they need more wax. The bridge was giving me the nasty microphonic squeal. Back out they come. Probably this weekend. I’d also like to take this time to apologize to Simon Padalka for aborting the previously immaculate control cavity :rofl:

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Fokin Awesome! Fokin Seymoure Duncans! I love the Fokin pun potential!

Are there any hum issues being that the coils aren't paired with each other? I had some issues with my D-Sonic 7, but that was a super hot bar magnet on one coil.

I have a pair of Elysian Pickups that I really love. They just match my style.

DudeManBrother likes this.
  6. DudeManBrother

There is a bit of hum at higher volumes that isn’t too apparent at bedroom volumes, though my mk IV does have a bit of hum all the time on ch 3 so it’s tough to pinpoint. Since I need to re-pot them anyways, I might further mod the Pearly Gates with all 3 mags from the Fokin. Again I have no idea if they’re ceramic or what, but I don’t use the neck pickup a ton, so I’m cool with further experimenting.

I also just talked to Simon, and he’s going to send over the pickup routing specs so I can get a custom set ordered up if I decide to go that route. But in the mean time it’s fun being the MacGruber of pickups :lol:
    1B230AA1-1C78-4DB9-B318-60FEE8CFF14E.png

Edika and bostjan like this.
  7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Makes me want to take an upper decker. :lol:

Now with a little patience and a little wire and a couple of magnet bars, you could make your own pickups. You have fifteen seconds.

DudeManBrother likes this.
  8. DudeManBrother

After letting the pickups sit in wax for 25 mins or so, it cured the microphonic squeal thankfully. Having the shifted coils doesn’t seem to induce any excess hum at high volume now that they’re properly coated. I ended up using one of the Fokin magnets in the Pearly Gates. The A5 and (whatever the Fokin mags are) both had a nice bite both humbucking and split, so I just went with the last one that I tried haha. I’ll use the A5 for something else, and now have a spare A2 and Fokin secret magnet to use on future pickup mods!

I couldn’t get a cell phone recording to sound good at all so I’ll have to hold off on sound clips until the next time I go to my drummers little studio.

9. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Those look pretty fucking sweet, dude! I played Ceramics for the longest time, and now I am just over the tone. I'd much rather play some A5 or even A2 loaded pickups.

AkiraSpectrum and DudeManBrother like this.
  10. Spaced Out Ace

Nah, just leave them as they are. They look kick ass.

11. DudeManBrother

AC925D52-7F1F-45CC-9852-0726C2932927.jpeg They are Seymour Fokin rev. Yellows now :lol: They definitely turned out sounding great, and look much nicer with the wax cleaned up.

I need to pick up some proper pickup tape to rewrap these coils though. The original tape is on there but it’s not designed to come on and off multiple times, hence the yellow electrical tape used to keep the original tape in place for now.

12. Spaced Out Ace

Leave it. Now it makes the logo on the body pop and standout.

NateFalcon and DudeManBrother like this.
  13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pickupwhoricus americanus

yeah that looks sick, really works well with the logo and the body wood color

14. DudeManBrother

877D1320-3A11-402A-9872-4E0B8340978A.jpeg
    Bumping this old thread because my Elysians have arrived! I was building a head shell today so didn’t have time to install these today but I’m looking forward to hearing these. I’m loving the ebony covers (matches my fretboard inlays).
    My Duncan/Fokin hybrids have actually been pretty outstanding and I haven’t had any complaints about them over the last 4 months, but happy to try something different.

15. KnightBrolaire

nice, what set did you get? javelins or tridents?

16. DudeManBrother

I went for Tridents on Adams recommendation. The little sound clip on his site is burly and brutal. Looking forward to these

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  17. KnightBrolaire

tridents are awesome pickups, same with the trident II or goliaths.

18. DudeManBrother

I can definitely see myself ordering more pickups from Adam. Really good guy to deal with, and the innovative nature of his design is really cool.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  19. DudeManBrother

BB2ED05B-9EB1-4040-ABE3-883396C4E7DD.jpeg 5B6F587C-DA1F-440E-9838-44D9424DE888.jpeg
    @ElysianGuitars they fit absolutely perfectly. They look incredible as well as sound phenomenal. I only had a quick minute to test coil splitting/function but damn I’m impressed. I want to hurry through this job today so I can’t get back home and really play these things. Thanks again Adam!

20. DudeManBrother

https://www.bitchute.com/video/lGFOO1j8OsYN/

Finally made an account somewhere to put up some videos if I’m ever so inclined. This is a quick sloppy take of a couple riffs I’m writing. Elysian Trident bridge thru my Mesa Tremoverb. No boost, gate, EQ etc. just raw in the room with an iPhone. An old school shit video like early YouTube days :lol:

There is a great mid grind to these pickups that gets further accentuated with the amps like this TVerb, the Bogner, 50 cal, 5150’s, and Archon. They all produce it in a slightly different place but it’s a very musical EQ curve. I’m really happy with how these sound.