Fortin 33 Meshuggah signature pedal

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jul 31, 2017.

1. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

5153 is a pretty tight amp as it is, given how extreme the 33 is, I think I'd only use it with looser, bassier amps like rectos.

Jacksonluvr636 and Bentaycanada like this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

Mike said he made it explicitly to tighten up darker looser amps like rectos .

3. killertone

killertone SS.org Regular

One of the reasons I left forums a couple years ago was because of rampant misinformation and the ensuing pile on from forum members. It totally bums me out no matter what the piece of gear is or whether I like that particular piece of gear or not. What fascinates me is that this anti-factual tirade is usually born of some hyper emotional response as if the product inflicted some sort of damage on the person. I'll never understand it.

I am not going to try and get anyone to like anything. If it helps you achieve your tone then awesome, if not , no worries, try something else. What I will most definitely do is provide factual information and demonstrations of products that will hopefully help the viewer make up his own mind. That is my one and only goal with the demos I make.

That being said, I urge you to watch the videos I made of the 33 and see if you think the claims made in this thread are true or not. I used a Recto and an 800. Two totally different amps. The vids are out there and both are in this thread.

Have fun and don't get dragged down by negativity. Guitar and music is supposed to be fun. It sure as hell is for me.

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

If this is inspired by the TC Preamp as said before, then listen to Meshuggah's DEI and Chaosphere. If it makes a Recto sound that bright and cutting, then I'd imagine an already insanely tight amp like a 5153 would be nothing but treble. :ugh:

The Grind and 33 seem like they fuck a fuckton of low end, while the PD can be tweaked to either cut or boost the low end and low mids. The PD is meant to work for a slew of sounds, while the 33 is meant to get you a Meshuggah/style chuggachugga with flubby/not-so-tight amps like a Recto, OG 5150, or a cranked JCM.

Bentaycanada, Kyle Jordan and Dineley like this.
  5. TheEscalator

TheEscalator SS.org Regular

If you guys want to build your own 33-alike Pedal, just take a TubeScreamer, take out the clipping Diodes in the Feedback-Loop of the first Op-Amp-half (Gain-Section), and replace the 1k-Resistor in the Feedback-loop of the second op-amp-half (Tone Control) with a 2k resistor. or go for 3.3k, if you want to have more low highs pronounced.

What do theese simple mods do?
    2k will boost Frequencies ~1.4kHz, 3.3k will rather go towards 2kHz.
    And by taking out the Clipping-Diodes you get a huge clean gain boost, way more than anyone could need, and way more than the 33 provides.

Using such a modified TS in my rig currently, and it really brightens up my 8-string plugged in a 6605mh.
    Try it out!!! you could even use switches so you can change between modded/unmodded settings.
    Have fun!

Vyn, Ron Head and takotakumi like this.
  6. mjd515

mjd515 SS.org Regular

can you share your setytings for this? i am having issues matching this and i would like to try this out on my patch

7. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I tried looking for this patch but I can’t find it, I might have deleted it out of my Axe FX. You can probably get close to it from the look of the curve. From memory, the first band is a shelving filter at 200hz, minus as many dB as it does. Then I think the second band was a peaking filter at 100hz, just reducing enough dB to make the low cut a bit sharper. You could probably just make the first band a blocking filter at 200hz and skip band 2.

3rd band I think I skipped.

4th band the stock frequency is 1599hz I think, I just bumped that up 1.5dB with the stock Q setting.

Then a slight high cut to taste, and set the overall Level to whatever boost you prefer.

Most of my patches now I just use either no boost, or a real overdrive since I just plug my pedalboard into whatever amp I’m using. Though I think I did find a more accurate way to model the TC integrated preamp, using the FET Preamp drive block, with the following settings:

PAGE 1
    Drive block: FET Preamp (not FET boost)
    Drive: 0
    Level: to taste, but it has less on tap than my integrated preamp, so you might need to put it on 10 and then also turn up the amp block Input Trim

PAGE 3
    Low Cut Freq: 200hz
    Bass: -12db
    Mid: 1.5db
    Mid Freq: 1600hz
    Treble: 1.5db

You can turn up the low cut frequency to make it tighter, and turn up the tone knob to make it more aggressive if you want.

And a third option, there’s a guy on YouTube who did some real in-depth tone matching of some Meshuggah tones, including trying to match his 33 pedal, and this is the filter block setting out of his patch:

3FD07473-81D2-40C1-AD8B-808DB0F57ED3.jpeg

All the settings are in the pic, the settitngs outside of the frame are at default value.

This is the video it’s from.

I forget if it was in part 1 or part 2.

8. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val SS.org Regular

Got a chance to open up the Satan and the Triple Rectifier out on the patio today.:eddie:
    While I am REALLY digging what the 33(and the Precision Drive to be fair) do for the old Triple Rectifier. I’m not sold that the 33(or the Precision Drive) do much for the Satan(120w). It’s already tight, and has plenty of gain. It’s not a bad thing; it just seems unnecessary.

9. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

The Thrasher and Satan don't actually need a boost, the built in ones are fine (the boost on the Satan I think is the same EQ curve that the Fortin GRIND has, just at a set dB level). That being said, I use my GRIND as a tight rhythm boost and the boost on the Thrasher as a warm, fat solo boost.

NorCal_Val likes this.
  10. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

My 33 has been great with Marshall 800/DSL/JVM, Jet City 100 LTD and Fryette DL60. I'd like to try it with a Recto, although it did not get along with my old Mark V35.

NorCal_Val likes this.
  11. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Cant remember if I posted here or not but after reading the last page and killertones reply in particular I will share my Fortin experience. The reason i bought the 33 was because of his videos specifically. Sounded amazing.

When I got the pedal I absolutely hated it, felt it was extremely over priced and sold it the next day. It was very well made and I guess after seeing some replies maybe it just doesnt like my amps. It made mine sound horrible.

I have a 5150 2x12 combo and a Bogner Rev 2 and a few different cabs. The Bogner i understand. Ive had that amp not work well with certain pedals but ive never had a boost that the 5150 didnt like. These amps dont need a boost but i turn the gain down and boost the front and enjoy the results.

Anyway, the way I saw it was that wow, i literally have to make my amps sound like crap on purpose to get this pedal to help in any way at all. I personally get tired of internet hype so I went to share my experience online, in the Fortin group specifically. Then I was basically attacked and dogpiled as killertone mentions, in the actual Fortin group lol. Because I didnt like the pedal. The worst part was Zach Koury. He is the shill that works for Fortin and hypes every single product they put out. He was the worst of all and went as far as actually making up lies about me and trolling and just making things even worse. Needless to say I left the Fortin group with a very bad taste in my mouth.

If the pedal works for you then great but I personally feel that Fortin is now a contract type of guy who used to make killer amps and now just uses internet hype to sell overpriced product. The latest Maxwatt he did wasnt all that great. Sounds good but a Very overpriced amp that i have personally heard people make EXACT comparison sounds with other amps that cost much less, Randall line didnt do too well, etc. Etc. Dont buy into the internet hype is my opinion.

I play music and kevdes93 like this.
  12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I had to unfollow everything Fortin related because of Zack. Seriously, the dudes social media presence is insufferable as shit. Did the same for Carvin/Kiesel as well.

13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

between him and the giant circle jerk/rabid fanboyism in that group, I left a long time ago. He still spams fortin shit in the axe palace group, guitar group therapy and ergn groups :noplease:

14. Jacksonluvr636

@Kyle Jordan lol.

So I did post in here a while back you can see. Kyle liked it so I got to revisit my hell. TY for that.

They conveniently posted only specific screen shots of the conversation and then deleted the thread so nobody could see anything else that was said.

Then the Zack dude continued to harass me via PM after I left the group so I had to block him.

Absolutely ridiculous. I guess my beef is mostly with him. If Fortin makes a pedal I don't like then who cares, that doesn't make him a bad dude but to employ someone like Zach who literally harrasses people, makes up lies and deliberately tries to cut and paste snippests of a conversation to post online to fit his narrative, that is absolutely ridiculous.

It is all coming back to me now haha. I could probably never buy anything Fortin again based on principle as long as that guy is employed by Mike.

15. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

Sorry about that. Just reading through and thought you made some good points.

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  16. Jacksonluvr636

All good man I was just messing around. Made me laugh seeing it but it did irk me at the same time. Not you, just the thread in whole. I was extremely pissed off at the time about what went down but its old news.

Is hard sometimes to express everything intended in the right way online.

Kyle Jordan likes this.