Formula One thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by levijaymz, Oct 30, 2012.

1. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I'll accept that there's a lot of luck in F1 and sometimes it just doesn't fall your way. But even excluding that, how many times did Nico out drive Lewis? Singapore, Europe, Japan and Italy? Then compare that to his embarrassing drives in Monaco, Canada, Austria and Germany. He got 3 of his wins because there was no comparable car near him. Even his best race in Singapore, it's hard to say he was the best driver that day.

Yeah, Lewis didn't lose it in Malaysia. He lost it in Belgium, Bahrain, China, Russia, Baku and Malaysia.

If you're going to say Lewis doesn't deserve it and Nico does, you're going to have to back that up.

2. TheTrooper

TheTrooper SS.org Regular

Outdriving somebody else doesn't really mean anything, I mean, Verstappen outdrove Ricciardo many times, but Daniel is still P3 in the standigs and He woul've been even if Max was in RB since day 1.
    Let's not forget that Lewis screwed up 50% of his starts, for his own fault, as Nico did fewer times.

In Canada Lewis hit Nico and Ferrari screwed up, that could've been a different story.

What I meant with "doesn't deserve" was for what he did in the last laps.
    Even his team was not ok with that, I mean, why would You risk to deprive Your team of a win? Lewis had 2 more WDC because of Mercedes, he should be respectful of the company and of his teammate, fair play should always be 1st in this situations (ok, he didn't do anything illegal,but come on, learn how to lose).

3. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Max and Daniel had a pretty competitive season, actually. Some races Daniel was miles ahead, others it was Max. This was a fairly even spread, too. Nico had 5 wins because Lewis had bad luck, compared to only 1 of Lewis's wins being without Nico beside or in front of him.

Lewis had 6 bad starts to Nico's 5. Hardly 50%.

If you're saying Nico and Lewis rubbing wheels on the Canada start was bad, what do you think of Austria, or even Spain?

You're genuinely going to criticise him for not wanting to lose? He's there to win WDCs. It's what Mercedes hired him for. His best chance to do that was to back Nico up, hoping he drops to 4th and getting the win. Mercedes had nothing at stake, really, and they've been saying for years that they want to allow both drivers to race. This is the second time Nico has come on the radio asking for Lewis to speed up instead of actually racing and overtaking him.

4. TheTrooper

I don't agree wth the bad luck story, in the first 4 races Nico was really going strong; Lewis might have had a issue in qualifying once, but he did plenty of mistakes during the first races.
    Bad luck it is still part of the sports, like Nico had in 2014-2015.

Austria was Nico's fault, too aggressive; Spain was absolutely Lewis fault, he went for a gap that wasn't there and it was LAP 1.
    Nico closed the door at the same time Lewis went for it, but he felt the pressure of 4 wins to 0, and even if he saw the grass he didn't brake.
    (that's how I see it and how Merc saw it)

The fact that the engine map was not the ideal one on Nico's car doesn't mean anything, You can choose the map and You can choose where and when to attack; too much adrenaline there.

Nico let lewis past at Monaco, where he had problems with his pace, not even a question and in fact lewis thanked him; Mercedes was happy because they wanted to win. That's part of being in a team.

Of course I wasn't criticising for wanting to win, I was criticising the fact that it is not "Lewis Hamilton's brand, directed by L.H." but Mercedes, and by not caring about giving another win for your team, You aren't really supportive of the team that gifted you 2 WDC with that spaceshift You're driving.

Remember when there was the Spain crash?
    Merc did some tests with Wherlein, which was strange at that paricular moment; the reason was (according to what Ted Kravitz said in the Notebook) that L.H. wanted to leave the team; they panicked and let Pascal try some laps, in case mr. Rockstar was really going to leave.

Listen, I like Lewis but sometimes he is a little bit childish with his behaviour.
    I think he is one of the greatest driver ever, but If we are going to argue about bad luck, failures and this and that, than we are going to argue on every single championship ever and Schumacher would have had 17 WDC.

There's no point, it is what it is, but let's face it: if he wasn't driving that Mercedes, he would be nowhere. If he was in the situation of Vettel, he would be 6 in the standings, maybe lower.
    Driver's ability it's only 1 component, otherwise Alonso would be 1st even driving a shopping cart :agreed:

5. TheTrooper

6. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I can't believe this. Fair play to him, he got his championship and that's where he's calling time on it.

It'll be interesting to see who gets his seat. Alonso, Pascal, maybe Jorge Lorenzo?

7. TheTrooper

That is a nice joke :lol:

Yeah it's crazy, but now so much possibilities opens up.

Alonso? He should be there with Lewis, I want that "2007 again" type of feeling

Wherlein? I doubt It's gonna be someone so young, because Mercedes will try to win the title again next year, so they might go with someone experienced BUT Pascal is the only one of the youngs who tested the Merc so.....

They are already speculating on Vettel and Alonso, but hear me out: the get Verstappen and Gasly goes to Red Bull (Or Kvyat goes to Reb Bull and Gasly to Toro Rosso).

I'm crazy, I know. :nuts:

8. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Max is staying put. Daniel is more likely to move because he's already suspicious of where Red Bull's loyalty lies. Seb's staying put, but Fernando could leave. Hulkenberg made his decision too early. The obvious choices are Bottas or Wehrlein as their Mercedes/Wolff drivers.

Lorenzo actually tested the Mercedes a few weeks ago, and after the race on Sunday was very coy about racing on 4 wheels.

9. TheTrooper

Yeah, that was just me thinking of absolutely the most impossible ways this is going to resolve :lol:

Mercedes is going to do a livestream FB with Nico, Lewis, PASCAL and ESTEBAN and they added "..You don't wanna miss this.."

:eek:

10. Elwood

Elwood SS.org Regular

I hope Bottas does go to Merc and Massa goes back to Williams. With the money Williams will have coming in & the savings on engines as part of the deal with Bottas going to Merc it should make them more competitive.

Red bull will hopefully be even more competitive. No idea what Ferrari are going to be link in 2017 though, it should be a fun season.

11. Elwood

Elwood SS.org Regular

Are all the other F1 fans in hibernation during the off season?

Or is everyone one here more NASCAR?

12. TheTrooper

Yeah, Bottas is surely going to Merc, really few doubts about that.
    We will finally see him in a very competitive car and also see how he compares with Lewis, so it's definetly good for the show.

According to many sites Massa has accepted a 6 Million $ deal with Williams IF Bottas goes to Merc; with all the money Stroll is (has already) bringing in the team, they will surely gonna be pretty well ahead of some team I bet.

My money for next season are on Red Bull and Mercedes but I really hope Ferrari gets extremely creative with the loopholes and comes out with the greatest car of all.
    The engine is good, the chassis and aereodinamycs in general not really.
    (2007 and 2008 was an exception)

13. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

Pretty much that :D
    I'm kind of glad Massa is back, maybe he can finish his next last race in Brazil next year, him crashing there was a bit sad.
    Really curious how next year will turn out, a lot of changes, maybe Mercedes will not dominate that much, and I hope we'll see less races where nothing happens at all for the last half of it. And I hope Verstappen won't stop driving like a complete lunatic from time to time, if everyone just drives like a machine, avoiding flaws, avoiding risks, I'd end up falling asleep by lap 10 :D All those radio calls from Vettel "he got really close to me, he has to be punished" "it's raining, we have to stop"... those guys are getting paid millions of $ to race. And than you got Hamilton, it's pouring with rain and he's like "get that safety car off the track, the track is fine, I want to race" ... Being careful and reasonable is something you do on public roads, as long as nobody gets seriously hurt, racing is something else. Or should be, I think.

14. TheTrooper

Isn't time to announce Bottas?
    Come on Merc, we're waiting!

:scream:

15. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

It's a real shame Manor have gone into administration. They had some good performances this year with Pascal and Esteban.

16. TheTrooper

Just announced fellas, Massa is back in Williams and Bottas takes Nico's places (act like we didn't know)

:lol:

17. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

And Pascal goes to Sauber, don't forget that one!

18. TheTrooper

Yep, he's really exited :wallbash: about that

19. TheTrooper

Sooooo, the 2017 Sauber is out (as renderings of the Williams).

Not too shabby, but I'm more interested in seeing Merc, McLaren, Red Bull and Ferrari.

20. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

That Sauber looks fantastic. Gorgeous livery. I'll not judge the Williams until we see in the flesh photos. The big thing for me is how minor the width increase in the cars is. Going from 1997 to 1998, the cars looked really strangely proportioned and too narrow, but I think they fixed that pretty well with the low front wings and high rear wings. These new cars still look well proportioned to me, so that's a good thing.

It'll be exciting to see the McLaren with the naming system change and rumoured orange. Supposedly Ferrari have the Mercedes nose now, too, though they're also rumoured to be behind on the chassis, so what else is new?