Formula One thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by levijaymz, Oct 30, 2012.

1. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

My guess is that Nico, as chair of the Sons of F1 Drivers in F1 Secret Society, called on junior member Max to crash and cause a safety car to bunch up the leaders, in an attempt to overtake. Merc calling a pit stop was just a coincidence that played into his hands. Nico had a pretty good view of Singapore 2008, after all.

2. shadscbr

shadscbr SS.org Regular

I bet Hamilton was beyond anger

3. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

What a race!

I was sitting at Woodcote, and had a great view up the Wellington Straight, and could see the whole Brooklands/Luffield/Woodcote complex and along the National Pit Straight. A lot of action from where we were. Great to see Williams in front again, even if they didn't have the ultimate pace on the Mercs, let alone any pace in the wet. Good to see Hulkenberg keeping up his post Le Mans form.

Definitely going back next year.

EDIT: Though, a much bigger tent is necessary. My friend and I went in a small two-person tent and next year I think we'll be going for something more serious.

4. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

The FIA has now removed these kerbs after complaints from drivers:

In other news, I've tickets booked for the USGP. Sitting at Turn 5.

5. Kobalt

Kobalt Insert Brand Name

FINALLY some excitement!

Love the Singapore GP. One of my favorites along with Hungary and Malaysia.

6. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

First race of 2016 in a few hours. Lewis on pole with a time faster than 2004, and the new quali format is a failure, reverting to the old one in Bahrain.

7. Kobalt

Kobalt Insert Brand Name

It looked interesting on paper, but in reality it was no better than the old format.

8. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

The race turned out spectacular, though. Maybe this year's tyre rules will provide the right amount of strategic variation.

9. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

There seem to be not that many fans here, but did anyone watch the race today? I didn't see many in the last years, and this one was the first this year, and the winner aside, I found it very exciting to watch. Tons of overtaking, a few minor accidents and unless they lead from the start, Mercedes seems not nearly as dominant as they were last year. Hamilton was overtaken by a Redbull mid-race, and Raikonnen even passed him on the straight, same tires, both with activated DRS... I hope the next races will be equally entertaining.
    And if those races are equally entertaining, I wonder what all the changes in rules for next year are good for... it might probably be a dumb idea, but seeing that almost all of the races I watched over the last years got progressively less entertaining towards the end, I began to wonder how things would look if they adopted a system I've seen in german touring car masters, where they have two races of 40 and 60 minutes each?

10. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I watched today's race. All of the races this year have been that exciting. It's been great!

As for Merc, Lewis's car floor was damaged, Daniel was on much fresher tyres and Kimi was on a faster compound. Not to mention when Daniel and Kimi came up behind him, Lewis started driving terribly.

I think what's really made F1 exciting this year is the new tyre rules, having 3 compounds. Not sure if that really explains this race considering everyone was doing their best to be on the only viable race tyre, the soft. They don't need to change the regulations for next year. They're trying to add more downforce, to make overtaking more difficult, and they haven't given Pirelli any information as to what tyres they want made, or an official contract for next year's tyres.

If they add an extra race each weekend, we'd just have two races where no one can overtake and ruin it for the statisticians among us.

11. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

Weren't Kimi & Lewis both on medium and Daniel on soft? Anyways, both had fresher tyres, you're right about that, and I didn't consider the floor damage. Still, last season at least the Red Bull would have had trouble overtaking even if Lewis would have been completly drunk. I was suprised to see a fair number of drivers going for medium, Hamilton, Raikonnen, Button...
    You might be right about the extra race. I was just dreaming about having the exciting first half of each race, twice :D I also thought the new ideas for the qualifying sounded interesting, and the result was rubbish.

12. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Yeah, Kimi was on the soft and Daniel was on the medium. I checked lap charts for overtakes and pit stops. Not to mention both of those cars are kinder on tyres than the Mercedes. James Allison's calling card.

Hopefully Lewis will get his act together for Russia. Maybe make a competition out of this championship.

In other news, the teams are trying to get rid of Bernie, and Bernie is trying to cancel their contracts, taking away their money and power.

Hersteller vs. Bernie Ecclestone: Muss der F1-Boss abtreten? - Auto Motor und Sport

13. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I'm thoroughly of the opinion that Red Bull fixed that race for Max. Daniel was leading and they changed him to a suboptimal strategy.

14. Dayviewer

Dayviewer Mr. Djelecaster

Well then, as a Dutch guy I decided to give today's race a try because of all the hype for Max in the last few days
    You couldn't evade news about him in NL lately, it's insane :lol: , and so I was pleasantly surprised :D
    BUT! Not just because of his victory;

As a kid I was a HUGE F1 fan, never could stop talking about it, I followed every race from around '96 untill '04-ish, knew all the tracks, drivers, statistics etc, it was nuts haha.
    Then however I started to watch less and less, it didn't feel exciting anymore, everything felt very predictable.

And I still have the feeling that's the case, every year I read that the season is again dominated by 1 or 2 drivers, creating predictable results in my eyes (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Today's race however, even if Max was magically replaced by another driver, was sensational.
    Having Hamilton and Rosberg go out in those first few turns, proceeded by the battle for the podium between Red Bull and Ferrari was fantastic.
    Not to mention the battle for 1st in the last 20 or so laps!

It was some edge of your seat stuff, and yea of course, finally hearing the Dutch national anthem at the end, by an 18 year old no less, was amazing for us Dutchies too :lol:

I'm really interested in watching the next races now as well.
    But on the other hand I'm afraid that when Mercedes is back for the whole race, then everything will get back to the ''boring normal''

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong, and I'd love to actually, because I followed this sport with huge passion all those years back, and I'd love to get back into it again :agreed:

15. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

I nearly fell of the couch laughing when Rosberg and Hamilton crashed, literally. Don't mean them harm, but as for suspense, that was probably the best thing that could have happened to the race.
    As for the strategy: I'm not sure right now, but didn't Verstappen and Raikonnen do a good deal more laps on their last set of medium tires? If Vettel & Riccardo woul not hav been so busy fighting each other, they might have caught up with them, they were catching up until some point, and with DRS & better tires, that might have been even more entertaining. Too bad Ricciardos tire blew...
    And, there I agree, with Mercedes back in the race (Monaco might be a different story), we'll probably see an entertaining battle for 1 and 2 and another one for 3 to 6 which could as well be taking place on different track...

16. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

This race has sort of been how all the races have been this year, except with a Mercedes in front of the whole thing. Monaco, as ever, will just be a procession with the only interest being when someone crashes.

17. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

2016 has been a very entertaining season. So much so that the Monaco Grand Prix was actually fantastic.

18. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

That was an interesting race finish.

Not a good weekend in sports for Italy.

19. rgk7

rgk7 GuitarherHoe

Summer break is over...
    But I´m in the US for the next 4 weeks. Sadly I might miss some races...but on the other side it´s propably just a one men show ;)

20. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

That was a great race!