Formula One thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by levijaymz, Oct 30, 2012.

1. F1Filter

F1Filter Contributor

If you were able to secure a Ford Cosworth deal. You had a very good chance of scoring points, or even getting a podium finish. Because back then, it was all about the chassis. The Cosworth engine was the great equalizer for the privateers. That is, until the turbo engines and ground effects appeared...

But besides the early 90's, which I still think are some of the most gorgeous F1 cars ever. I'll have to agree. Late 70's-Early 80's: Some great racing, lots of parity amongst the constructors, even the "Garagistas" had a chance of winning. Of course, the sport back then was also a bloodbath. Lots of gruesome leg injuries once the ground effects cars came into play (which moved drivers position on top of the front axle). And that's also the era where we lost both Ronnie Peterson and Gilles Villeneuve.

Yet it sometimes seems that the inherent respect amongst drivers back then, because of the risks involved, just doesnt exist within the grid today. I'd think a driver like Pastor Maldonado wouldn't have his superlicense for very long back then. Or would probably even be alive after a season or two.

BTW, that Sauber C34's livery absolutely reeks of Felipe Nasr's sponsorship money he's bringing in. It's really sad to see Sauber in their current state. They deserve better, IMHO. I really hope they're going to be able to score some points this season.

2. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I, personally, think the real sadness is less the lack of competitive teams, and more the lack of teams. Plus, this year, we could have Force India really competing and hopefully McLaren and Lotus will get back up there. 11 cars fighting for the win wouldn't be bad, and we'd also have Ferrari hanging around pretending to be fast. That'd just leave Sauber and Toro Rosso fighting for the last few places with Maldonado.

3. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

STR10:

[​IMG]

4. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

Newey must have something clever up his sleeve.

5. Dooky

Dooky SS.org Regular

Ayrton won his first championship with a V6 Turbo.

6. Kobalt

Kobalt Insert Brand Name

That's because in modern F1, talent is out of the window, unless it's spent in R&D, along with a huge pile of money. The drivers are second. They modified the rules, as to prevent teams with virtually unlimited funds like Red Bull or Ferrari to monopolize their spot at the top of the championship.....yet they still manage to stay up there. The "handicap", per say, is the more points they earn, the bigger the entry fee gets for them.

What is the point for smaller teams to even attempt competing in F1 if Red Bull spends 196 million Euros comparatively to Caterham who spends 42 million Euros? The problem is getting so out of hand that we keep losing teams and thus cars on the track. In three years, we lost six cars.

Not sure what you mean by progress, unless you mean another Michael Schumacher era is what you can call progress....it was about time for Vettel to get off the throne after four championships... :lol:

With about 400 additional horsepower, an h-gated gearbox with clutch, and very little downforce. :p

7. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Ricciardo tops Hamilton on Top Gear. I can't wait to see Daniel with a good engine...

8. 777timesgod

777timesgod SS.org Regular

Why did Ferrari announce their F1 car. They would make more of an impact with an ice cream van, judging by last year's standards of course. Come on, put some effort this year!

9. F1Filter

F1Filter Contributor

10. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I hope K-Mags can have a repeat of his Australian performance last year.

11. Kobalt

Kobalt Insert Brand Name

Less than 10 days to go!!!!

Goooooo Sauber!

Also, that VJM08 is infinitely sexy.

[​IMG]

12. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

13. Chonker

Chonker SS.org Regular

VJM08 is the last car I worked on when I was in F1, I really hope the guys at FIF1 do well this year.

14. Kobalt

Kobalt Insert Brand Name

You worked at SFI or you worked on their car as part of some other association? FIA?

15. Chonker

Chonker SS.org Regular

I worked for SFI, it was a good place to work with some great people. They really deserve success and I hope they get it (although the slow start to this season is probably going to hurt).

16. F1Filter

F1Filter Contributor

P1/P2 sessions already start today? Where did he winter season testing go? Seems like the off-season is getting shorter and shorter.

Anyway. Here's hoping to a close, exciting, and most importantly, safe season. :yesway:

Reminder to anyone in the US. All practice sessions are on NBCSN Live Extra. Or find "alternate" ways to get the Sky Sports feed. Your choice. :lol:

17. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I guess with the time change, FP1 and 2 will be today for you guys, haha.

I'm actually going to be in America during Malaysia, does anyone know what channel it's showing on?

18. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

NBCSN. Hopefully the provider where you are has it.

19. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

The Manor car, at last!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The McLaren car really should have looked more like this.

[​IMG]

20. F1Filter

F1Filter Contributor

Anyone check out the new Formula1.com site? $27 USD for timing&scoring with some telemetry? :scratch:

Subscribe to F1 Access