Formula One thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by levijaymz, Oct 30, 2012.

1. TheTrooper

TheTrooper SS.org Regular

Shame it didn't really work for Haas, but I guess it's more tyre related than anything else.
    (Geez, Grosjean is whining about something all the freakin' time....)

What a great USGP it was, one of the best of the year.
    Nice overtakes and fights, from top to bottom.
    And what a great job Sainz did!

2. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

That stewards' decision though. Regardless of whether or not the decision is right, the timing was shockingly bad.

Crappy end to a great weekend.

TheTrooper likes this.
  3. TheTrooper

Totally agree, in fact, I couldn't believe when they announced it right when they were "backstage" at the podium.
    "5 sec for what?" then they showed the video and unfortunately it was correct, but bad timing.
    Happy for Kimi, because he kept those Soft tyres for a LOT.
    Very sorry for Vettel, I thought he did a great great race, shame he didn't share my feeling (he was pretty disappointed)

4. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I think Vettel was really lucky Bottas is the guy in the other Mercedes. Really curious how much of the Mercedes performance in this half of the season has been the car improving or Lewis upping his game. If Valtteri were on the pace here since the summer break, Vettel would be out of the championship by now. Only time he was comparable was in Italy where Mercedes had by far their best pace advantage of the season.

With regards Max, right decision for sure, but I agree with Horner that if they made the rule decision after the Mexico podium the should have stuck to it.

5. TheTrooper

Well, let's be honest, LH is one of the greatest drivers ever, no matter what Era of F1 we are comparing.
    VB is surely a great driver, but he does not have Ham experience in the Merc and he can't adapt to the car as good as HAM (I'm talking about the upgrades).
    Ham also has the fastest car (at COTA the Merc was just better and had 30Kph with DRS and slipstream more than the Ferraris) at some circuits, so not much Vettel can do.
    Next year might be another story, much more fought between 3-4 (and maybe 5) Teams, but this year LH just deserves the WDC. (different story if the 3 Asian races went good for Ferrari, but that's F1)

Surely, that makes Nico's WDC pretty freakin' valuable, despite what detractor might say of him.

StevenC likes this.
  6. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Yep, Lewis is one of the greatest ever all around. But from people praising Valtteri's consistency in the early season against Lewis's peaky performances, to Lewis having one of his most complete and well fought seasons is just incredible. Three more years like this could bring him to right around 90 wins...

TheTrooper likes this.
  7. TheTrooper

They dropped Kvyat!
    Red Bull Racing/Toro Rosso/Marko terminated his contract.
    That sucks.

8. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I'm so disappointed and I've always been a Kvyat fan. I've got my 2016 RB 26 hat sitting on my desk right now.

TheTrooper likes this.
  9. TheTrooper

His sponsor said he will try to negotiate with Williams (Geez, everybody is aiming at that spot haha) but yeah, poorly treated, even though he did show poor performance this year.
    A Stroll-Kvyat pairing would be pretty cool.

10. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

WORLD CHAMPION!!!!!!

Also, Seb should have gotten a penalty for that. You can't crash into two cars and get away with it. Just a sloppy start for him.

r33per and TheTrooper like this.
  11. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

Only watched half the race (again)... one of those races where only a major crash or technical failure could have made it interesting (at least regarding places 1-3) after the first couple of laps. So Hamilton won the championship, and his successor won the race, most likely :p Well deserved. Not much of a fan of Hamilton, I'd much rather see Ricciardo win, or Bottas, or Raikonnen, but at least it's not Vettel. He lost every bit of sympathy I had for him with that crash in Baku.

Suprisingly enough I don't think we got any radio from him complaining about how Verstappen and Hamilton cut him off or crashed into him. We heard him whining again when Massa tried to push him off track (which was not exactly nice, but you don't win races by being nice). I'm sick of Vettel whining about everything. "He cut me off! He pushed me off track! He changed lanes without using his indicators! I saw a cloud, we need the safety car on track NOW!" That is one of the few things I like about Hamilton, he just wants to race. "There's only one inch of water on the track, why do we have a fucking safety car on track? Seriously..." :D

r33per and StevenC like this.
  12. TheTrooper

Yeah, not a good move, but he seems to be catching some understeer there and had to work with the wheel a bit, clearly not on purpose (but yeah, if it wasn't for P1 or the WDC that would've been a penalty)

Not a bad race, interesting to see how much problems Ham had to overtake cars (he had some damage at the diffuser).
    DAT fight between him and Alonso was gold.

13. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

14. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

15. TheTrooper

16. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

The MGU-H is the coolest thing about Formula 1 at the minute. This is a step backwards and won't fix any of the sports problems. This won't bring Aston Martin or Volkswagon to the sport anymore than the current formula will. Aston Martin is ridiculous to begin with and I don't see how VW's interest will hinge on a PU that is less innovative than the ones they were building in WEC. They still have a turbo and they still won't rev to 18,000 or 20,000 rpm, so they won't sound like the 90s or 00s. One engine always dominates in F1, always has always will. It's been like that since the 80s when the DFV became redundant. There won't be another DFV. Cosworth have won 2 races in the last 20 years.

If F1 can realise it is a technology series not a spec series, and embrace what comes with that, it can move forward. There will always be a team with an engine advantage. We've seen this year that you can make the fastest car without the best engine. If we're going to have a series that's very aero dependant, then we're going to have cars that can't follow very easily. So our options are to have big names in the sport like Fiat, Renault and Mercedes building engines that matter, or to have Williams, McLaren, Red Bull and a low budget Ferrari team with essentially spec engines. The racing quality will be the same.

r33per and TheTrooper like this.
  17. TheTrooper

Agree with everything, but according to Motorsport.com/it Aston Martin is happy with the "specs" of the engines for 2021.
    The problem is that they listened to the fans.
    WRONG.
    The fans know what they want, not what they need.
    I doubt the big names will give the all clear; Twin turbo woul've been better anyway

r33per and StevenC like this.
  18. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I get the feeling Aston Martin are going to say whatever Red Bull want them to say. I just can't believe that they have the resources to build an F1 engine to compete with whatever Ferrari or Mercedes would build.

But you're 100% right. Don't listen to the fans.

TheTrooper and r33per like this.
  19. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

Thanks ☺

And I agree - technical prowess was always what drew me to F1, as well as a driver's ability to take that car and drive it beyond what most think possible.

Would you be in agreement with me that when they listen to fans (of which I am one, might I add), they make a formula change like DRS?

StevenC and TheTrooper like this.
  20. TheTrooper

Reb Bull of course would like that change, but RB doesn't build engines.
    I think the Strategy Group(?) anf the Teams have a meeting scheduled for the 7th, but Mercedes is against, Ferrari is against and Renault too.
    The " 3000revs more " is BS, 3 engines are not going to last an entire 22 rounds-season, not a chance.
    Removing the limit of fuel consumption AND adding 3000 revs might do something, but I personally would prefer a stronger MGU-H and maybe a twin turbo.
    If they really want to take down costs, they could do a "standard for all" MGU-H (horrendously powerful) and some other components.
    They way the proposed the thing, that's basically bulding ONE engine for all with only the brand changed LOL