For those who are attending/have attended university, talk with me about your gear!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Rogueleader, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Rogueleader

Rogueleader Bringer Of Storms

I am going to college (moving in next week). And would like to know what everyone here used when they were attending or what you will be using!

Heres the fundamental parts of my dorm room practice rig.
    Guitars (Jackson SLSMG, and 1985 ibanez dt250 destroyer)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Into engl e530 into headphones. For jamming/playing out/playing without headphones in the dorm I just ordered a rocktron solid state poweramp and a avatar 1x12 cabinet (which will still probably be too loud!) as well as a rack case to protect the preamp/poweramp.

What did you use?

2. telecaster90

telecaster90 Smokestack Lightning Contributor

First semester I had a Line6 Flextone III 1x12 combo. Second semester I came back with a Carvin MTS 3200 head and an Avatar 2x12. Does your school have designated practice times in the dorms?

3. Rogueleader

No designated practice space in the dorms at my school. Luckily my room is a single so maybe if the people in the adjoining rooms aren't to anal I can practice sometimes with the cabinet. There is a designated practice space in the music department building (i'm majoring in music) but they are little 4x4 cells and its a pain to haul all the gear down.

Did your university have practice space in the dorms? How did the modeler work out for you? Everyone told me a small modeler would be a better choice but I'm not really a huge fan of any modeler on the market right now.

4. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

I'm going to community college and I live at home so I can get away with this as a "rig":lol:
    [​IMG]
    I leave for "real" college in December though so I need to figure out how I'm gonna down-size without spending an assload of money.

5. Rogueleader

Love the jackson!

I'm facing the same quandry, I've been so spoiled by my blackmore that using anything else, especially through headphones, seems like a downgrade. Which mesas is that? I'm not the knowledgable about the mesa boogie brand but don't some of the newer ones have a power cut feature that makes them sound really good at lower volumes?

6. wannabguitarist

Thanks, I'm liking that red SLSMG too. Everyone seems to get the blacks ones for some reason.

That's an older DC-5 (50 watts), and even with the Weber Mass it's ridiculously loud:lol:. I think the Mark V has that feature but I'm not sure.

How's the e530 sound?

7. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

Well, when I was in an actual dorm room I just used a cheapo $99 strat copy and a Korg PX4 through my computer speakers.

I moved into a frat house after the first year though, and played a Jackson PC-1 into a Soldano Astroverb in the basement. I still regret selling that amp, they've gone WAY up in price since then too.

8. DaveCarter

DaveCarter Melowiddler

I finished a music degree this year, here's what I ended up with in my room by my last year:

RG1527
    RG7321
    RG550
    Les Paul
    Strat
    Acoustic
    Classical

Line 6 Spider II 30W 112 (Practise)
    Mesa Roadster (Gigging, exams)
    Mesa Recto 212
    Pedal board
    Multitrack recorder + SM57

They has Flextone XLs, Peavey Valvekings and Pod XT Pros in all the practise rooms so I never needed to shift gear around for rehearsals. I started my first year with a lot less stuff but my advice would be to take as much as you can afford to take, its suprising how much gear you can find a need for when you're studying music! Make sure you have a way of playing through headphones so you dont piss off your flatmates by practising at 4am ;)

9. telecaster90

telecaster90 Smokestack Lightning Contributor

The modeler worked out alright for me, it was more of a preference of tube tone than anything else. My school doesn't have practice spaces in the dorms, and there were only certain times you could practice.

10. Jzbass25

Jzbass25 SS.org Regular

I'm moving into my on campus apartment next week and I'm going to have a

Legacy head with a 2x12 legacy cab
    A few pedals, Weber attenuator
    Rg1527
    Rg2570

and hopefully I'll buy a G-major 2 sooner or later. I'm sort of worried about brining my gear from fear of it being stolen but it is a pretty secure place.

11. Rogueleader

Damn, thats alot of stuff. I'm still on the fence as to whether I want to bring my practice bass rig (Fender P bass into peavy 15 watt practice amp). I'm gonna see how the other people with adjoining rooms are and then if it seems appropiate I may sneak the blackmore in by semester. How big was your room? My room is a little more than half of this
    [​IMG]
    And I have no clue where I'll be putting everything.

Thats quite an upgrade between years. Do you think frat houses are more tolerating in the regard of practicing? If so I would pledge in a heartbeat!

It seems like a lot of people prefer the weber attenuators? About how much does one of those set you back? Do they work pretty well?

12. MacTown09

MacTown09 SS.org Regular

i am going to college next week and this is what i will bring as far as musical gear:

Peavey XXX head
    Vader 2x12
    Schecter hellraiser c7
    Tone port/headphones for practice
    Classical Cordoba

13. Neuraxiom

Neuraxiom hurf durf

The summer before I moved into my dorm, I decided that I wouldn't have a lot of space so I bought a micro cube.

I barely used the damn thing after buying a podXT Live and using my computer as an amp. Computer speakers are good enough for practice and quiet enough for the roommates/neighbors not to care.

14. Rogueleader

Where are you headed? I wanted a vader 2x12 originally but I'm on the 8th floor and wanted something pretty light. Is the classical for coursework? I'm gonna have to get one for the music coursework and have no idea whats good (my mom is a classical guitarist and has an original contreras but beyond that I haven't even played classical).

15. Ostia Man

Ostia Man Contributor

If your gonna have a computer run a pod directly. and you can record any ideas or chord progressions to jam over and stuff. Its a lot more practical, not the best sound but hey, not bad at all.

when I started going to college (conservatory of music) I had a boss gt-5 and a 4-track tascam and two cheap radio shack speakers :) this was 1998.
    I had a blue voodoo half stack(still do, Its... somewhere...) but stayed at home

16. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

i lived in a bungalo first year, townhouse 2nd year and am 2 weeks away from that same townhouse.

JSX halfstack + guitars. no issues :)

17. wannabguitarist

The people are more likely to tolerate the extra noise but you have a better chance of getting stuff stolen depending on how often the frat throws parties at the house. I honestly would not feel safe leaving my gear in a frat house, even behind a locked door.

AFAIK mine was a bit cheaper than a similar THD hotplate. I picked mainly because you can adjust the resistance so if I ever decided to sell my amp and get a different one I could keep the same attenuator.

18. thesimo

thesimo SS.org Regular

Pod XT Pro + Headphones

19. DaveCarter

DaveCarter Melowiddler

It does look like I had a bit more room than you'll have, but you can still be creative with what you've got. I had all my flightcases lined up behind the door together with my drum hardware, then a 5-way rack of guitars against the wall with the Mesa next to it. Then the Line 6 went under my desk, and things like the multitrack/wireless/pedals in the bottom of my wardrobe. Other people I knew kept guitars in cases under their beds or on top of the wardrobe, so there's always a way to shoehorn stuff in!!

On the course performance students were assessed as much on tone as we were on playing, so you had to have enough gear to get the right sound; playing strat-material on a les paul would easily get you marked down. People were usually happy to share gear though, since not everyone is lucky enough to be able to afford loads of stuff. I was always loaning out the Mesa and my pedals because I didnt want people getting shit marks for not having the right sound just because they couldnt afford the right gear! Depends what sort of stuff you'll be doing on the course, but generally Id say try and take as much as you can!!

20. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

I'm gonna be making this same decision soon. My choices are Pod X3 Live, Boss GT10 or Digitech RP1000. All of these with headphones+laptop for recording.