For those that fly with your guitars...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by MetalGravy, Feb 10, 2012.

1. MetalGravy

MetalGravy Making a meat suit

2. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Now we can fly with our Fly!!!

3. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

I originally bought my ukulele almost exclusively because I wanted a stringed isntrument that I knew I'd be able to take with me as carry on. This new bill still doesn't seem like a sure thing for being able to take a full-sized guitar (and likely won't go into effect until 2014 anyways), so the uke is still the only thing I'll be taking with me.

4. Moolaka

Moolaka SS.org Regular

There's still no way I'd let them touch my amps in cargo. No. Way. ATA case or not, inertia is what hurts.

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I guess that isn't too long of a wait. :shrug: :lol:

6. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

Actually, I ashamedly don't know the details, but there already is a piece of legislation that allows this. You have to show them the piece of paper though, my uncle does it all the time.

7. Iamasingularity

Iamasingularity 7string Ghost

What?????

Didn`t know you guys had to stick up with this.

I`ve been taking my guitars and amp on board from India-Japan-Singapore-Maldives on all their airlines with no special permissions. This is suprsing to me! I always assumed you guys could take your instruments on board with you.

8. leandroab

leandroab Stay Negativeā„¢

I always try to persuade people during the chek-in for a "gate check" (stowing the guitar in a bin, not the overhead compartment). One time I got it. The other I didn't. But that was a 34" bass :rofl:

Hemi-Powered Drone likes this.
  9. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I fit my Steinberger in the overhead compartment just fine and didn't have a single airline question me with bringing it as a carry-on. I've actually done it twice now, once for a cruise and the other was for my trip from Boston to San Fran.

10. Brandon

Brandon Azlgaf

Never had a problem with this, even with a hard case. But if it's official, then I'm for it.

11. Murdstone

Murdstone Sycamore Trees

When I made a prototype bass on vacation once, I stuffed that bad boy in a duffelbag, wrapped the neck in a mile of bubblewrap and took it on the plane like a normal carryon. The stewardesses tried making me check it simply because they didn't think it'd fit in the overhead bin, but I made it by like half an inch. So I shot them a bragging smile and took my seat.

12. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

I have flown a dozen times in the last year with a guitar. Most times it fits in the overhead. Twice or 3 times they put it in a coat closet, which was definitely a big favor. Once it was a tiny plane and I had to gate check it. It's all good if you don't have a huge case, it seems. And always be at the front of the line during boarding. That is the only price to pay really. I have never been told during check in or security that I have to check my guitar.

So my tip is don't have too huge a case, and do your best to bring it on board. If it won't fit overhead ask nicely if there is room in the coat closet. If the person working the gate tries to make you get check (this has happened a few times) do get the gate check tags etc. and just put them in your pocket. When you get the plane try to bring it on board (ask if it's ok if that seems necessary) and if they don't agree, go ahead and gate check it.