Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 - bad pre's quality. What to buy next?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Oklep, Mar 19, 2017.

1. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

yes, the pod will make a much better DI sound. if it has spdif i´d recommend you use that to connect to the 6i6, because then you avoid using another AD/DA conversion stage and you avoid extra cables that could potentially introduce more noise.

2. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

OP - I'd say get an Audient interface, pretty much the price of a decent DI box (Radial). Flush the Focusrite interface on Ebay.

3. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Sigh. The Scarletts are great interfaces even the first gen. If you use the 1/4" line in (and I would not use the pad) you bypass the mic preamp and go through a simple buffer. The guy in the vid said he was clipping the input by definition it'll sound bad... any kind of buffer stage before it could have rolled back the level. Mine doesn't clip on a dry input. If you go through the XLR In you are hitting a mic preamp which has no business in your guitar signal path.

4. Oklep

Oklep SS.org Regular

Now I am confused. So do I want to go through preamps (xlr) or not? Many different opinions

5. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

If you use a DI box, you'll be using XLR to the Scarlett (using the mic preamps)

This is a perfectly good option and probably the best with the Scarlett 2i4.

6. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

a DI box is designed to go to a mic pre. it converts the impedance and level of a guitar so that it can go to a mic input, so you can record DI´s into a console or interface. not sure what that guy is talking about that a mic pre has no business in a guitar signal. this is very standard procedure also for pro studios.

7. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

Would you still be getting the benefits if your interface only had a 1/4 line in?

8. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

No, you'd be bypassing the mic pre.

9. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

Seriously, this is the only forum I know of where you can get a straight answer. :yesway:

10. vdubreeze

vdubreeze SS.org Regular

This is not correct. On all of the Scarletts the channel input goes through the mic pre no matter if it's set for line level or instrument level, which is standard for inexpensive interfaces and even some not inexpensive. But that in and of itself isn't a deal breaker, it's just worth noting that nothing gets bypassed and it'll be the same whatever under $1,000 interface it is. But early Scarletts all had a problem with the instrument inputs, which had no headroom and clipped much too early and easily. They were a problem no matter what you did. They claim to have fixed this in later generations. But a direct box, even an inexpensive good one (Radials are great but not cheap) will go into the XLR set for mic input and will make it work right.

11. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Regarding the Scarlett from Focusrite's web site:

Reference:
    https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en...nputs-on-my-interface-bypass-the-Mic-Preamps-

What I take this to mean: The 1/4" input is the least processed input on a scarlett and only goes through an input gian stage of the preamp input to allow you to set the level.

Whether you like the result or not is up to you. There certainly are higher end choices and other factors to consider too (A/Ds, sample rates, impedance, etc). I a Scarlett (2i4) along with five or six other interfaces and consider the 2i4 to be a very good day to day interface when you set the input levels properly. Mic pres and interfaces definitely have some personal choice going on. I like Focusrite quite a bit, generally.

Not sure why this thread was necrobumped. But figured I would post the info from Focusrite themselves. I'm sure the OP has either gotten his input levels set or gotten a new interface by now (almost a year ago).