Floyd Rose tuning issues after downtuning

Discussion in 'The Sevenstring.org Workbench' started by shredderroland, Mar 16, 2018.

1. shredderroland

shredderroland SS.org Regular

I had my Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid C1 FR S downtuned by a whole step. It stays perfectly in tune until I use the FR trem. It goes out of tune at the slightest touch of the trem but is otherwise fine. This hasn't been a problem before it was downtuned, tuning was rock solid. It's a genuine Floyd with Elixir strings. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

2. Deceptus

Deceptus SS.org Regular

Did you change the string gauge?

If not, there could be less tension between the springs and strings. Let's say there needs to be a certain balance between springs and strings to make the Floyd Rose float. If downtuning the tension of the strings is lowered and thus the springs take up more tension pulling the Floyd Rose slightly backwards. As a result, the Floyd Rose is slightly angled. If you use the tremelo system, it won't return to it's zero position, resulting in a slight tuning problem.

The the knife edges the Floyd Rose can also be worn down a bit. I have had this with my Floyd Rose as well. You could try and use a bit of teflon spray/oil and smoothen it up. It helped me for a while.

3. shredderroland

shredderroland SS.org Regular

The gauge was changed from 9 to 10 and an extra spring was put in to compensate which makes it 3 in total. The spring came with the guitar so all three springs are the same strength. The guitar is less than a year old so I don't think it has anything to do with wear. The bridge is completely flush with the body when I look at it but it's possible that it doesn't return exactly to the same position although I can't see any difference.
    It seems I'll have to get a guitar tech set it up properly because there is no obvious reason for the issue. I know the guitar can stay perfectly in tune when using the trem because it used to before the strings were changed. No amount of trem use would make it go out of tune.

4. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

Did you stretch the strings really good before locking them down?

Also make sure the screws that hold the nut to the neck are tight, just don't get crazy and overtighten them, but they are worth checking.

5. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

6. Sollipsist

Sollipsist SS.org Regular

Probably a silly question but... does it take less and less retuning over time ? Even with only dropping my 6th string a whole step, I had to keep adjusting the tuning every so often until the tension balance settled in, over maybe an hour or two. With new strings it probably would have taken longer.

7. Zachman1750

Zachman1750 SS.org Regular

My Floyd had issues with the saddles not being tightened enough, so they were sliding slowly towards the neck. Check the saddles.