Floating tremolo, dual pickup to String Thru, single pickup in the UK

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Petef2007, May 5, 2018.

1. Petef2007

Petef2007 SS.org Regular

So I have one of my ESP guitars that i'm looking to modify from a floyd rose, dual pickup setup to a single humbucker, string thru system. Basically filling in the pickup cavity and the bridge cavity and installing a thru body system in its place and then refinishing the guitar.

Anyone know any luthiers in the UK who could take on something like this?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Does this guitar have a lot of sentimental value?

Mods like that, when done properly, are going to run almost the cost of getting a whole new guitar.

3. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Yeah I mean at that point you're changing pretty much everything about the guitar. Cheaper and easier to sell it and buy the guitar you want.

But if you just want the functionality you could block the term and remove the neck pickup. That's cheap/free.

4. rockskate4x

rockskate4x rockskate4x

A step further would just be to wire the bridge pup straight to the volume pot and output jack, bypassing the neck pup, switch andtone pot altogether. If you have some spare wire and a soldering iron the mod is free and completely reversible. A tremolno is a clean solution for blocking the floyd, but a dead 9v battery does just as well if you aren't planning on quickly going back to floating mode between songs in a live setting. I would do these things before buying a new guitar, and I would try a new guitar before deciding that a double bucker floyd guitar absolutely had to be fundamentally changed to get what I wanted out of it.