Fix for a fundamental issue I have with the piano roll. (using reaper)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by thevisi0nary, Aug 22, 2017.

1. thevisi0nary

thevisi0nary SS.org Regular

So something I am noticing when writing drums in the piano roll, is that the lack of a center visual reference makes writing more difficult. I am constantly looking to the left to get my reference for note input, either that or I am sweeping through the notes to find the one I need. Obviously renaming the notes on the keys themselves on the left is not a fix for this.

Something I would really like to do is to edit the background image of the piano roll to either display names or both names and icons infinitely so that I can see exactly where I should be clicking. Is anyone interested in trying to help me do this? Or possibly show me how?

Again using reaper.

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

Can't watch the video right now and don't use Reaper but this should be it :
    Hopefully that helps.
    If it's what I am used to in other DAWs, it is indeed renaming the notes on the keys (and removing some and rearranging others as you see fit). It can still be a bit challenging depending how many keys you have (for example I have a ton of cymbals and around 8 articulations for the snare and hihat). But it's much nicer. I put them all in a nice order like C and C# = kicks, D,D#,E,F,F# snare articulations etc...No gaps and all other keys deleted. My DAW (Sonar) even allows the drum map to be a middle man that can receive input from the usual triggers and translate it (so importing drums from Guitar Pro where 38 = snare etc. still works fine).
    Hopefully this helps.

3. thevisi0nary

thevisi0nary SS.org Regular

Thank you for your help but this is not what I am talking about. If you start at the empty piano roll, you either need to memorize your drum map or start by looking left to the keys to know where the kick drum is. Then you have to do this for every note. What I want is something edtiable in the background so I don't have to keep looking left.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  4. NickLAudio

NickLAudio Audio/Video Engineer

Here's a good video explaining what you can customize in the midi editor. ~4:00 and forward I think will help you, maybe not. Worth a watch though.

This thread will also help with a visual representation on the editor background by changing the colors...

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=186727

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Winspear likes this.