Fishman Fluence Adler Opinions

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by braintheory, Mar 8, 2018.

1. braintheory

braintheory SS.org Regular

Have any of you guys tried the fishman fluence adler set? If so, how's it compare to the other fluence models? It seems like the adler is never talked about. My favorites so far are the kse and abasi. I've also tried the moderns and carpenter, but like those 2 (kse and abasi) better

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Sorry to not answer your question, but what did you prefer about the KsE and Abasi set?

3. braintheory

braintheory SS.org Regular

The Abasi sounds almost the same as the modern, but just a little more upper mids and has other modes to play with. Had them both in the same guitar

The KSE is the tightest and most aggressive to my ears, but a bit less output and not as thick sounding as the others. The Carpenter I just didn't like as much as the others

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  4. Sanrek

Sanrek SS.org Regular

Having just installed the KSE (bridge/ceramic) in my horus M3 (which I still need to take pics of ! Shame on me) I'm also curious to hear about the Adler.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  5. Womb raider

Womb raider Drink from the goblet, the goblet of gore

Fluff did a review of them a while back. Unless someone owns a Warbird on here and can chime in, I don't think these are very popular due to the aged covers that will only look good on a handful of guitars.

6. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

I don't think a lot of people own these, and @Womb raider hit the nail on the head. The aged gold covers don't look right in most guitars (although they look awesome in some). I the moderns, classics, Tosins, Strat, and tele sets - I can tell you that all 5 are just really, really good. That said, I have only heard recordings of the Adlers - never in person. In Fluff's review, he calls them "barky". Check out that video - there are about 3 good videos up on youtube that seem to give a good view of them (speaking as someone who has not heard them live). They sound like really aggressive passive pickups to me. Barky, in a good way.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pickupwhoricus americanus

Yeah agufish was gushing over them iirc.

HeHasTheJazzHands and Strobe like this.
  8. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yeah that was a huge oversight with the Adlers. Why limit them to one look?

EDIT: Here's a review. You can probably ask the guy more about the voicing... vocings. :lol:

https://electricpickupartist.wordpr...n-fluence-will-adler-signature-humbucker-set/

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Womb raider likes this.
  9. Womb raider

Womb raider Drink from the goblet, the goblet of gore

Agreed. They look fine on his sig, but there's only so many guitars that would look decent with it. The pickups in the photo are actually his SD set, but it's basically the same vibe. Don't know why they didn't just make a few color options and they would most likely sell a lot more since there are a lot of LOG fans.
    [​IMG]

10. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Nice! Sick guitar, and sick pickups.

I loved the KSE set. SO unbelievably tight that it sounds like they have a noise gate built in.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Horus M3. I already have a Caparison (Brocken), but I'm strongly lusting after a Horus, and considering whether it's worth flying to the nearest store to try one.

11. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

I absolutely love the Moderns. I've heard some really great things about the Devin Townsend set, that they're tighter so I think I may give those a try next. I've heard some great things about the KSE set too, I can imagine they're also very tight. I have a buddy who absolutely swears by the classics but he goes for more of a British crunch tone so I've been hesitant to try them. I'll follow this thread too if anyone with the Adler set answers...

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

I heard the opposite about the Devin set. It's not as tight as the moderns because of the more low-mid focus and the reduced high end.

13. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

One thing I haven't seen answered - are the Moderns all compressed like the EMG81?

I actually really enjoy that compression for rhythm playing. It makes me sound tighter and more consistent than I actually am. Really dynamic passive pickups unfortunately accentuate my inconsistent picking haha

14. HeHasTheJazzHands

They still have that active compression. I've seen EMG haters that still don't like voice 1 of the Moderns because it's got that EMG-esque compression to it. Also, I wanna say it was either Tosin or Devin that said they dug the compression the Moderns gave for some tones.

I actually have a guitar the Willies might fit in, though. I have an Epi Explorer Korina with faded gold hardware. Might one day check them out.

15. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

It has been interesting to read all of the opinions. I am thinking about giving a set of the Moderns a shot.

I used EMGs for years, but switched to Duncan over the last 5 years or so. I have been thinking about trying active again, and the Fluence Moderns seem to be the base set that all others are based on.

I know people compare them to a 81/85 set. Would you say the Modern Bridge has more chunk, or body than the 81? I never loved the 85 in the neck, and wished I would have tried the 60 back then. Does one of the voicings on the Modern neck sound not as bassy as the 85?

16. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

With EMGs I always swap out the stock mini pots for full size 25k pots anyways, which gets rid of some of the compression and opens them up a bit more. The Moderns definitely have an "EMG-esque" tone to them in the active voice, but they're their own thing really. Although if you work on tightening up your rhythm playing anything you use will sound good, I wouldn't rely on the compression to sound tight. Just my 2c

17. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

Before I tried the Fluence Moderns I was an EMG guy for maybe 6 or 7 years and I like them both for different things, but the Moderns definitely have more bite and growl to them (at least through my rig). With the Moderns I get more of a saturated crunch and with EMGs I can get the same tone, just a bit harder to dial them in. As I mentioned above though, I always swap the stock EMG mini pots for full size 25K pots, so they sound a bit more open than stock EMGs anyways. And I would compare the modern neck in the active voice to an 81, actually. Dont know if you've ever tried it, but putting an 81 in the neck gets you the same sort of creamy tone without as much booming bass. The passive voice almost sounds like a JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck

Shask likes this.
  18. HeHasTheJazzHands

I found the Fluence Modern bridge has more high end than the standard 81, which is a good thing. The 81 has a good midrange attack, but not enough high mids/treble for mytaste.

Shask, Strobe and RLG167 like this.
  19. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

It's interesting to hear a different opinion here. I have the moderns, and they sound less compressed to me than my 18V modded EMG's. They don't feel very compressed to me, and definitely not on voice 2. That said, I know they were going for an EMGish tone on voice 1 for sure, so maybe some of it is intentionally there. I have heard the Devin Townsend set has some compression/sag built in.

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

I mean they're still ahead when it comes to EMGs, but it still seems like they tried to add in some compression to please active fans. I'm sure a lot of that extra clarity comes from... whatever technology Fluences uses. :lol: I'm also wondering if the huge midrange bump has anything to do with compression?

Strobe likes this.