First song using DFHS

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Parka Dez, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Parka Dez

Parka Dez SS.org Regular

2. Makelele

Makelele SS.org Regular

Link isn't working.

3. Parka Dez

Parka Dez SS.org Regular

Fixed, sorry about that! Thanks for telling me.

4. Makelele

Makelele SS.org Regular

As far as I can tell, the drums sound fine. I also like the guitar tone. Sounds a bit like Meshuggah, except the riffs are more varied (ie not just chugging on the low-whatever meshuggah tune to). I liked it.

5. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD

Very nice!

6. 7slinger

7slinger wake up dead

that's some really good stuff, tell us some particulars,
    like what software you used for recording, what guitars,
    amps, mics, that stuff... :yesway:

7. DSS3

DSS3 Banned

Sounds like you just got DFHS ;).

Try out some of the production settings that Thordendal included with the "sonor of metal" pack.

8. nyck

nyck blah!

Sweet riffage dude!

9. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf <b><i><font color="Black">Canis lupis obscurus</fo

That shit is ill, son. Fucking righteously badass.

I approve. :hbang:

10. Vegetta

Vegetta SS.org Regular

:metal:

awesome tone man

11. rcfreak7772000

rcfreak7772000 New Member

shit :O i dig, i dig

i like the bass drum sound, lots of click,

add some bass and this would be on my mp3 player for awhile

good job, makes me want to buy a good computer so i could used dfh :p

12. Parka Dez

Parka Dez SS.org Regular

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. The tune is actually a new tune for my band ( www.myspace.com/thesafetyfire ). Im going to give it a proper good mix during the week and will repost the remix of it.

In all honesty I probably wont redo the drums, Im far too lazy! However thanks for the tips DSS3, I will check them out.

For the recording setup I used a POD XT Pro, an Mbox, Pro Tools, DFHS and the standard PT plugins. Thanks for the comments on the riffs, it is much appreciated. This is a sort of one off really really heavy tune for the band, so glad to see people like it.

Thanks again!

13. Ryan

Ryan <b><font color="green">Hylian Metal Master</font><

nice writing man :metal:

14. Lozek

Lozek Desk Magnetic

That's sounding pretty good man. Are you running that via battery or the actual DFH gui?

Got some tips for if you're running a battery version, don't know if you could do the same via the DFH gui as I've never seen it.

To get your kicks more authentic, use two kicks as you would physically on a kit, get them virtually identical but then alter the tuning of one by literally one increment. It'll be hard to tell the difference unless you're sitting there A/Bing them against each other slowly, but in a song format it seems to add to the authenticity

On my kits, I link a set of close mic'd samples with a set of rooms samples at a much lower volume. If you do it really subtley, again it creates an almost subliminal effect of it being a real kit.

On your track, I felt that the snare was slightly distant, I'm not sure if it was sample choice or volume. Perhaps the same with the overheads just a touch? I think you might benefit from perhaps dropping the level of your kick drums slightly, and then adding an overall compression to the kit. That seems to make everything sound bigger and more 'in your face' but also gets good seperation from the other instruments.

But those are my opinions and it's all subjective :cool:

15. Ancestor

Ancestor SS Contributor

Yeah, man, that is the shit. :yesway: Production is really good, too.

16. Parka Dez

Parka Dez SS.org Regular

Thanks for the comments guys.
    Here is a new mix of it
    http://download.yousendit.com/C16B0E1C5C807912

I tried out a few of the things you said Lozek. Im actually using the superior sampler.

The main problem im finding now, is that my songs are fucking quiet compared to cd's, like nowhere near the volume. Any advice anyone?

Dormant likes this.
  17. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf <b><i><font color="Black">Canis lupis obscurus</fo

Stereo compression and a good limiter on the master. The Waves L2 Limiter is really good for volume maximumization.

For quick and dirty stuff, I'll run a compressor > multiband EQ > limiter on my master tracks. Will get you into CD volume territory, if you desire. I'm no pro, however. Just an amateur who's learning, with a bit of education behind him.

Desertdweller could give you good tips for stuff, I'm sure.

Y'know what's funny? I didn't even realize you were part of that band The Safety Fire, but when I first heard this new song, I thought, "Wow. That sounds liek it would be great for that crazy British DEP/Meshuggah band I heard awhile back." I was thinking of you guys. :D I could hear your singer over that song in my head.

Stuff sounds amazing, man. :yesway:

18. Parka Dez

Parka Dez SS.org Regular

Thanks Dark Wolf!! Your comments are really encouraging as we are sending some demo's of the new songs to some people, which could be extremely important. So thanks for that, made me smile! Im surprised you heard my band, was it off this forum?

Thanks for the advice as well, I may need to invest in some waves plugins, they sound goood!:hbang:

19. ChaNce

ChaNce Auto-banned?

This opens a WHOLE huge can of worms. There is a huge number of resources related to mastering on the web (Gearslutz.com or tweakheadz.com are two) but every expert in this area will tell you one thing:

Using software limiters and compressors on the bus to make your songs "CD loud" is a really bad idea. The problem is that all of the dynamics get squished out of the music.

A much better option is to use one of the indy mastering houses that uses analog equipment to master. One is Massive Mastering (massivemastering.com) Listen to the examples, he/they do a really good job. He also does a ton of heavy guitar-oriented music, and has a knack for getting the bottom end tightened up and powerful.

Also, the waves plugins are REALLY expensive. If you insist on doing yourself, look for the UAD-1 card and software, it sounds very nice (analog-y), and has high resale value. Look on ebay.

20. irg7620

irg7620 zombie

i really like this clip. very well done. the drums sound somewhat what i am going to go for when i start putting my cd together. keep up the good work. excellent guitar tone as well.