First PC Build, whattya think?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by NotLukasz, Apr 15, 2017.

1. NotLukasz

NotLukasz SS.org Regular

Hey folks! I just got done picking parts for my first build and I was wondering if I could get some opinions and advice. I plan on using it for graphic design, music, gaming (preferably on above average settings), and daily use. The types of games I plan to play are Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim, Battlefield 4, Overwatch, Arma 3, and I want to be able to play newer games on better than decent settngs.

I don't plan on spending more than $1500 on the computer, as I am already going to spend around $800 on peripherals including a new desk and speakers, and I don't really need an overkill setup.

Here are my parts:

Intel Core i5 6600k
    BeQuiet! Shadow Rock Slim cpu cooler
    Asus Z170-A ATX
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2X8GB)
    Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
    NZXT Phantom 410

EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W

(PCPartpicker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Tmmc7h)

Will this get the job done? Any better options within my price range? All suggestions are welcome.

2. Electric Wizard

Electric Wizard Dignity

It depends on your expectations for gaming. The machine will be overkill for everything else you have listed. If you want to do some VR or 1440p with a high framerate then the 1070 will suit you. If you don't have a nice monitor it's not really needed IMO. I use a 1060 and it has handled anything I've tried on 1080p ultra.

3. Pav

Pav ???

That will be a pretty nice PC. The GTX 1070 will play most games at higher settings these days. Personally I would look at squeezing a Core i7 in there rather than a Core i5, but you'll be able to do just about anything either way. Unless you're going to be gaming at higher than 1080p you could afford to step down to a cheaper graphics card.

4. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

My notes:
    - Why a 6600K? Kaby Lake is out, get a 7600K at least.
    - 850 Watts is absolutely, completely unnecessary unless you're building a RIDICULOUS machine. Video cards have become far more efficient these part few years. Even a 750W can handle two GTX1080s in SLI. If you're only planning to use one videocard, 500W is more than enough.

Aside from that, looks fine, although I'd probably go for 32 gigs of RAM, but that's still not quite something I consider an absolutely necessary inclusion if you're not doing recording and using a boatload of sample libraries.

5. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

Nice! Good spec- my GTX 1060 is more than enough for Skyrim Special Edition with plenty'o'mods. So the 1070 will only make me jealous!!

It's a great sense of achievement- your first ever build. Did mine at the start of this year.

6. blckrnblckt

blckrnblckt SS.org Regular

Maybe look at the AMD R5 lineup?

7. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

I have that same Phantom case and its stupidly huge. I highly recommend doing a mini ATX build like my roommate just did. It requires some liquid cooling but thats not a bad idea anyway.

I slightly disagree with Xaios about upping the CPU. The 6600 will meet all current gaming needs. I do agree with him on nerfing the PSU, perhaps to 750w.

Also, you might as well save a little more and go for a 1080. Might as well at this point. Its a beastly build and should have the beastliest GPU.

8. NotLukasz

NotLukasz SS.org Regular

The only reason I'm getting the 6600k rather than the 7600k is because the motherboard i picked out would require me to get an older CPU to do a bios update so that way it would be compatible with the 7600k. I also read that the 7600k is only slightly better so I figured I wouldn't complicate things for myself and just get a 6600k. As for the psu I chose that just for any future upgrades I might do. I think I'll go down to the 750w like leftyguitarjoe suggested.

9. NotLukasz

NotLukasz SS.org Regular

I plan on getting two Asus VG245h's so I probably could step down to the 1060. Once I start to feel that burning hole in my pocket I might upgrade to a 4K setup, but as of now I don't really see myself spending that kind of money. How similar is your setup to mine? Would my setup with a 1060 be able to run most game on 1080p ultra?

Is the 1070 still worth getting with the Asus VG245h's?

10. Electric Wizard

Electric Wizard Dignity

Here's a link to what was in my build:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vvjfjc

Seems like it would be comparable. The downside with my build is that the mobo is crummier than I thought and I haven't gotten a stable overclock, I think the one you picked out would be way better which will give a few extra FPS potentially. I play ARMA with max settings. Haven't tried any of the other games you have listed. DOOM on ultra gives me like 140 fps or something crazy. GTA V with everything maxed except a few of the really in depth AA and other options gets around 50 fps. CPU intensive stuff like 7 Days to Die also runs very well.

I don't really know too much about monitors to be honest, I just know from my build that I'm getting framerates that my monitors can't take advantage of.

11. Pav

Pav ???

The 1070 is a sweet card but the 1060 would probably still be fine since you're looking at 75Hz monitors. It all depends on what you're going to be playing and if you plan to upgrade to a higher resolution or refresh rate in the future. Based on the game's you listed I would look at a 1070 at least.

12. Dredg

Dredg Insignificant Contributor

Agreed.

Either way, anything 1060 or up absolutely destroys anything else on the market, and will continue to do so for quite some time. 1060's are much more reasonably priced IMO and OP can always SLI another one in a few years if/when s/he need more juice.

My rig runs a 1070 FE (not worth the extra $$$, but at the time, I took what I could get) and runs everything I play at ultra, 80+ fps.

13. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Wrong. Nvidia specifically disabled SLI on the 1060. Only the 1070 and up are capable of it.

14. Dredg

Dredg Insignificant Contributor

Well that was just plain mean of Nvidia.