First PC build in a few years

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Jonathan20022, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

The last time I built a PC was when I built a water-cooled project 5 years ago and gifted it to my dad so he had something to work on. So it's been a bit :lol:

I've had this planned for about 5 weeks now, but it's finally happening this week. I was just waiting on the ....ing aftermarket GTX's to go in stock. Thankfully earlier this week I caught an Asus 1080 Strix OC for a split second on Newegg. (More on Newegg at the end :lol:)

Here's the specs

Asus Strix 1080 GPU
    Intel i7 6700k CPU
    be quiet! DARK Fan
    Asus Maximus VIII Hero Mobo
    Corsair Dominator RAM 16gb (2 x 16gb)
    Fractal Design r5 Case
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w PSU
    Asus DRW 24B1ST Drive
    Samsung 950 PRO 256gb M.2
    Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD
    Asus PG27AQ 27” 4k Monitor

This is supposed to be a work *cough*gaming*cough* PC, so anyone got any Keyboard/Mouse recs? Looking for reliable and comfortable moreso than anything else.

Anyways this should be pretty killer, I was waiting on Pascal before going into this and it's a great time to jump on the PC ship :lol: I've been using an iMac + rMBP combo for about 5 years now and they're both still pretty reliable for my music/video/photo work. But between all this PS4.5 and upgraded 4k Xbone .... I got really sick of dealing with consoles, so makes sense to just get onto a proper PC for gaming.

And like I said about Newegg.. make sure you double check prices before checking out. I had to change my IP address and location just to get regular prices, they started doing this yesterday for whatever reason. Pretty scummy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

I'm enjoying the variety of cheap mechanical keyboards these days. The Logitech G710+ is my personal favorite, as the combination of brown keys and O-rings is a nice quiet option. Lotta popular red switch choices with the gaming crowd. Corsair has a great selection of mid-priced keyboards too.

As for mice, I've used the same Logitech MX518 for nearly ten years now, and I happen to like that design a lot. The current day version is the Logitech G400s. It's a simple mouse in many ways - not even laser based - but what can I say, it's still a great mouse.

3. FEcorvus

FEcorvus SS.org Regular

you are the opposite of me, I prefer to get the loudest, clackiest keyboards I can find as they tend to be the most comfortable for me, probably psychosomatic and there are exceptions both ways

luckily I live with a bunch of other computer people so it doesn't really bother anyone, and all but one of them have clackier keyboards than me anyway

the best one around here amongst me and my friends is corsair rgbk90

4. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Went with an RGB K70 Corsair Brown Switch keyboard and a Zowie Mouse, the Zowie is super barebones but it should last me ages. I'll post build pics when I get everything in later this week.

5. GodOfChugs

GodOfChugs SSO's Chugmeister

Hell yeah! \m/ when I was reading the list I saw fractal and immediately thought you were getting an AxeFX to match the build

6. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Newegg is pretty scummy for that. If you were in Canada, I'd recommend NCIX as they're quite often cheaper than Newegg for Canadian customers. Alas, the same doesn't appear to be true when comparing the US versions of Newegg and NCIX.

7. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

I checked out NCIX for parts as well before everything, but I ended up getting a few things locally like my CPU cooler. Sadly the be quiet doesn't fit on the ASUS mobo :lol:

I had a hell of a time trying to make it work but the heatsink on that thing was insane. I ended up going with a Corsair H100i Liquid Cooling system for the CPU and it works beautifully!. I'll take some pictures of the final setup and show them to you guys soon enough!