First mix after a while. My bands djentish demo. Tell me what you think. SSD, TSE x30.

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by rippie, Aug 19, 2017.

1. rippie

rippie SS.org Regular

2. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

Not a fan of the music, but the mix is pretty darn good for what you're trying to achieve.

Only suggestion I would have is to bring the single note riffs up a little more, possibly by also using compression ducking against the rhythm guitars to make them stand out a little more.

3. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

I think the mix is pretty slamming, especially in the upper range. The cymbals aren't harsh to my ears and the balance between the guitars and vocals seems to fit.

My biggest gripe is the kick and the snare though. It's like 250hz was boosted to hell on the snare and there is no "crack" or "snap". There is also little-to-no reverb on the snare, which is what makes it absolutely huge IMO. The kick rocks the sub region, but is lacking a little bit in the 1-3khz and 8khz range. The guitars/bass grit drown out that upper register of the kick during heavy rhythm sections. Hearing the kick just by itself, it sounds like you may have some compression with too fast of an attack. I'd go back to the EQ on the kick and snare, but then I'd also parallel compress the kick/snare/toms and do it hard af.

I enjoyed the song. Cheers!