First Marathon Today!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by MemphisHawk, Feb 15, 2014.

1. MemphisHawk

MemphisHawk Japan's One And Only

31 years old and I finally decided to go for it. I have run 4 half marathons over the past 3 years and one 15 miler. I ran the 15 miler in 2:10, but I am not expecting to do so well in this marathon. It is the Okinawa Marathon, which is considered one of the harder ones in the world.

For instance, this runner ran a 2:15 MARATHON at Yonaguni Island but only managed a 3:20 at Okinawa!

My Race History

I am hoping for under 5 hours, lol
    See you guys later.

MikeH, asher, ThePhilosopher and 4 others like this.
  2. Ill-Gotten James

Ill-Gotten James SS.org Regular

3. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

Yes- good luck!! :yesway:

4. MemphisHawk

Thanks guys. I finished, albeit very slow. all the hills seemed to go on forever. I tried to jump up on the sidewalk to pass people who were basically walking and clipped the remnant of a metal sign post which gashed into my big toe through my shoe. Really started to hurt around mile 20 to the point where I wanted to quit. Anyway... 5:57:40 is my official time. Don't know how many more marathons I'm gonna try. lol.. edit - now that I check it looks like mile 11 to mile 18 is straight uphill the entire time.

[​IMG]

5. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

Alright! Congrats, man! Sorry about the toe, tho. Once you get recovered from this one I wouldn't be surprised if you were game for the next one to come along. ;)

6. DoomJazz

DoomJazz Classic Lojack

Proud of you :)

7. MemphisHawk

1 year later update: Ran the same exact Marathon again yesterday. Beat my time from last year by 28 minutes. I was doing great at 20 miles and then I HIT A HUGE WALL. I was going slower downhill than I had been going up the hills earlier in the day. My GPS watch messed up too around the same time, so you actually see the difference in average paces from the first 20 miles to the last 6. My official time was 5:30, not fast, but 28 minutes better... I'll take it. This is a really tough Marathon as you can see from all the elevation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And as a consolation prize, I beat the oldest female finisher, haha 72 old lady was putting in some work. the oldest male finisher was 80 years old and he blew me out of the water. That's a good lesson in how "it's never too late to get going" for anyone that needs motivation.

[​IMG]

8. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

Congrats dude!

Wonder how much quicker you'd run it in reverse.

Slightly off topic, but what watch do you use? The wife is getting back into running, and has said we need to do a half by the end of the year (as well as my GoRuck Challenge this year, and an HCL next....irrelevant.)

Been looking at Suunto ('cause the cool Army kids have them, and I have experience with them) and Garmin ('cause the runners use them) mainly, but open to anything.

9. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

Wow, that's an insane elevation map. I'm doing my first marathon in 11 days and aiming for around 4:45, but the elevation is much more flat here.

I'm using a Polar M400 for my runs, but it is also a daily activity tracker and can be used for much more.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  10. MemphisHawk

Thanks guys, and ChickenHawk, I was using a TomTom Multi Sport. It does swimming and comes with a nice bike attachment as well. The fact it lasted 6 hours is a great sell. I gps'd my walk to and from the race to my house in addition to this which was another three miles.

Good luck on your run Philosopher!!

11. helvbdxzy

helvbdxzy SS.org Regular

well,Once you get recovered from this one I wouldn't be surprised if you were game for the next one to come along.[​IMG]

12. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

Missed this!

Great job, that is some crazy elevation for a marathon, some trail races I did had less.

Suunto sucks, get a Garmin.
    I have both and my Suunto is now just a $400 dollar watch, it won't upload, the GPS watch needs you to buy a GPS pod to work, the watch does function well though. I would not buy one and this was a gift.
    I had a Garmin 305 for 12 years, works today but with reduced battery time from original battery.