First Floyd Is Killing Me, Please Help

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by murderdeathkillblood, Mar 30, 2016.

1. murderdeathkillblood

murderdeathkillblood SS.org Regular

So i sold my guitar in order to buy a new one. The new one is a Jackson Adrian Smith SDX, and it has a locking FIXED tremolo (so it can do major divebombs, but no squeals) (It says Floyd Rose Special on it, but i think that's probably a whole range). I foolishly thought that this would save me from most of the Floyd Rose woes, but i was wrong, and i completely ....ed it, and I've been at it for around ten hours over two days, and i need help. I've messed with everything, done it all with painstaking caution and trial and error, wasted twenty dollars of strings, and i'm about ready to give up and take it in to a store, except i'm both broke and proud so i still want to do it on my own.
    I'm not gonna bore you guys with the whole process, but essentially now everything is fine except i think i need to increase the spring tension. When i tune the strings up, it starts to pull the bottom of the bridge towards the nut, and it makes every string get lower the more i tune the other strings (if that makes any sense). Eventually the bridge is sticking up away from the body of the guitar, pulled by the strings. I think the only thing i have left to do is tighten those screws in the back (I already tried a bit, but not much) to increase the spring tension, which theoretically would stop the strings from pulling the bridge too much. Right? I'm just scared to screw those things in too deep without consultation.
    Anyway thanks to anyone who reads this, I really desperately need some help with this crazy ....ed up Floyd Rose bull.....

MechyKola likes this.
  2. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

So yeah it sounds like you either need to do one of these:

1) just screw the screws that hold the springs in deeper so that there is more tension there to match that of the strings.

2) Add more springs (it can hold up to 5 but usually only come with 3). These can be brought for fairly cheap (make sure you get some decent ones though).

It is a bit hard to give advise just based on your description. Can you upload some pics of both the top of the guitar (the side with the floyd and the strings) and the bottom/back with the claw and the springs, to give us a better idea about what is going on? That way it will be a lot easier to help you out.

Did you go to a higher string gauge from what the guitar came with stock or have you changed tuning? That would explain all of you problems. So: What string gauge did you put on and what tuning are you trying to achieve?

3. GXPO

GXPO SS.org Regular

What gauge and tuning are you using?

I drove myself nuts trying to tune a Floyd with 3 springs using 10s tuned standard when I first got one. I needed one more spring.. :(

4. RUSH_Of_Excitement

RUSH_Of_Excitement SS.org Regular

5. MechyKola

MechyKola SS.org Regular

I have the same issue - more spring as said works, or if you are desperate blocking off the tremolo saves a lot of pain

6. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

More springs, or screw the claw deeper into the body.

7. GXPO

GXPO SS.org Regular

It's not always an "or" if you know what I mean.. The amount of tension achieved with one extra spring and the claw at half travel is great than 3 average springs slammed into the body.

If you want 3 springs you could consider high tension springs. I don't have a link I trust but googling it should help.

8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

1. Place a 9V battery between the trem block and the body (opposite side of the springs) in the trem cavity.
    2. Tune the guitar.
    3. Tighten the springs slowly until the battery falls out.
    4. Check the tuning. If it is correct, you are done. If it's sharp, loosen the springs as little as possible, then make small adjustments to tuning if necessary.

9. musicaldeath

musicaldeath Herald of Djod

Came in to post the recent Uncle Ben video and saw it was already done. So I'll just say go watch that. Pretty much everything you need to know (minus intonation, but that isn't so bad on Floyds either).

10. murderdeathkillblood

Alright here come the pics, sorry if they're ....ty (and the sock is under the bridge to prevent scratching, it's not usually there). Full discolsure, i might be doing this image uploading thing wrong because i don't understand that link-yness of it, but i tried.
    Also i took all the strings off when i gave up last night, so there's only one in the pics.
    https://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view.sfly?fid=4aa5266ad0763fac9a16dcf07a6807f9 [​IMG]
    https://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view.sfly?
    fid=4aa5266ad0763fac9a16dcf07a6807f9#1459355140889
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last two pics are of the angle it's supposed to be, and then the angle that it goes to when the strings are on.
    Also yes, i did increase the gauge, i don't know what was on it before but it now has .11's.
    And as a sidenote, how do i maximize the spring tension with the spring placement? Should i have them going straight up and down or diagonally towards the middle?
    I really appreciate everyone who replied, thanks for trying to help me with this crap.

EDIT: yea i ....ed up on the picture thing, but if you follow that first link it takes you to the gallery with all of them.

11. RUSH_Of_Excitement

RUSH_Of_Excitement SS.org Regular

Great minds think alike :cool: and pick the same default profile pic apparently:lol:

12. murderdeathkillblood

Also I have no idea why random words in my post are gigantic and underlined. I'm sorry for ruining the beauty of your guy's site.

13. bostjan

Must be your browser. You text looks uniform to me.

14. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

Some malware does that. Highlights and underlines words, usually makes them links. Might wanna scan your computerboxmachine.

Everything looks fine to me as well.

15. murderdeathkillblood

Ok well at least I didn't mess THAT up. My plan for now is to go buy some new springs when I get out of class and see if that does the trick, if not I guess I'll start screwing those bastards in.

16. bostjan

Did you get a 9V battery?

Seriously, the trick is to block the trem, then tune, then adjust the tension. I've done this hundreds of times and it's always worked like a charm for me. If you have extra springs, it won't hurt anything, and you can add them at whichever point they become necessary, but it shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes to restring a FR guitar using the trick I posted above. The first time I tried to set one up, I tried to do it the way you did it and it took me three hours, or maybe longer.

17. murderdeathkillblood

When I was adjusting the tension before I had the trem block blocked with a stack of index cards, but no matter how I adjusted it the string tension was too high and pulled the bridge upwards after I removed the block. I'll try it though once I have the new springs

18. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

You'll want to do minimal screw turns equally on both screws as well, if it hasn't been mentioned. You won't see results until you keep tuning it. Once the guitar is fully in tuned (check every string again) then re-assess.

Flyds are a pain to setup, but once you get them balanced you'll love them.

19. ncfiala

ncfiala Silence you bastard

Just do what I did.

1. Sell all of your guitars with trems.
    2. Use the money to buy more guitars without trems.
    3. Never be guilty of trem wankery again.

20. bostjan

Don't remove the cards, let the spring tension open up until they remove themselves, and you'll be all set.