First build help

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by lawizeg, Apr 20, 2013.

1. lawizeg

lawizeg

I want to build a guitar this summer. I've never built much before, as a teenage girl, but I have a friend whose dad builds and he would be wiling to help me out with any special equipment I need.
    Is chambering too advanced for a first build? A BM style headstock? And are woods like Birdseye maple, rosewood, and swamp ash too difficult fr beginners to work with? Trying to get a feel for the actual do-ability of this.

I'm definitely going to be reading everything I can get my hands on about the process of building, I'd just appreciate some advice on those questions before I get into it.

CD1221 and Mattmc74 like this.
  2. The Spanish Inquisition

The Spanish Inquisition Unexpected

Not trying to bash you or anything, but if a friends dad knows everything, can't you ask him?

3. muffinbutton

muffinbutton knows the muffin man

Having never chambered a guitar, I can't say anything about that, as for the rest, a blackmachine type headstock probably wouldn't be too hard for a first build. I was too scared to try on my build especially with it being and 8 string. As for the woods, you shouldn't use very expensive or nice exotic type stuff on a first build. Just to be safe. That way when you make a mistake you aren't out a ton of money and a nice piece of wood. Just my opinions, I haven't finished a build yet but you can mine out in my sig. Good luck!

4. CD1221

CD1221 SS.org Regular

I say go for everything!

Fancy wood, complex design, the whole hog. Build like you plan on keeping it for life. If you approach it with a "it's only my first build, I will build my dream guitar next time" attitude, you won't approach it in the same manner, with the same level of care or attention to detail. Figure out everything you want and go for it!

Back yourself, ask questions, read ALL the other build threads here and ask questions on those threads, and most importantly: build!

Building is an awesome experience. Very frustrating, most likely you will make several mistakes, I know I did. Several of those mistakes turned into really cool features that I wouldn't have considered if I hadn't stuffed something up. Do full size plans, seriously. Make sure everything goes where you need it to go. Understand how the different elements fit together. Ask more questions, clarify any points that you are unsure of. Practice, practice, practice any techniques or processes you are unsure of on some scrap timber first to build confidence and then take your time.

Be prepared to amaze yourself.

good luck.

lawizeg likes this.
  5. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

^ skeels likes this.

lawizeg likes this.
  6. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

7. mwcarl

mwcarl SS.org Regular

None of those things are too advanced, you should be fine as long as you can do a good job of planning and careful execution. Good luck.

8. lawizeg

lawizeg

Thanks, that's exactly what I plan on doing!

Thanks for the advice, that makes a lot of sense mate. I've decided on a Black Limba B6 style body, with a ziricote fingerboard/headstock veneer, and a White Limba/ebony neck. :yum:
    I feel like the B6 style is very simple yet I love it, so it'll be great to build! Super excited.

Prepare to see a build thread starting when I get the stuff I need in :wavey: