First Build: 8 String

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Taylor, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Taylor

Taylor Formerly... someone

Specs:

27" scale
    Neck-Through
    5 piece Walnut/Maple Neck
    Swamp Ash Body
    Cocobolo or Redwood Burl Top
    Bocote Fretboard
    Tru Oil Finish

Black Hipshot Bridge & Locking Tuners
    Seymour Duncan Nazgul/Sentient Pickups

The general shape is going to be a Skervesen Raptor shape, with a (reversed) Skervesen Viper-ish headstock. :metal:

On to the Pics:

The Neck (lol dog toys)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Fretboard
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The neck blank needs to be run through a jointer, and I still need to re-saw (and fine sand) the Bocote Billet, but I finally got started! Progress is probably going to be a little slow, but I will post updates when I can! (Lets hope I don't screw up too much)

Oh, and I "forgot" to add the member built tag, since ElRay seems to enjoy posting the reminders. :squint: :lol:

2. Bodes

Bodes SS.org Regular

A "like" and a "thanks" due to including the obligatory foot shot!
    Some nice looking wood there!

3. ManuHB

ManuHB SS.org Regular

I agree with Mr Bodes! That wood looks amazing.
    Hey dude, a suggestion from a mate working on the same thing: why not try to design your own guitar? I mean, since you are going to go through a relatively long and expensive process to create your guitar, make it something unique! Haha well that's subjective and totally up to you, but I had to say it ;) . Have you decieded already stuff like what bridge you'll be using and so?
    Keep it up mate! :yesway:

4. Deegatron

Deegatron SS.org Regular

Im also a fan of the accidental foot shot. I have at least one in every build.

That fret board looks stellar. please don't ruin it with inlay. just leave it blank... Just my opinion tho. your build.

ManuHB - for a first build I think he's buit off more than most.. 8 strings is plenty to be worrying about without worrying about body shape and how it will work sitting down vs standing + upper fret access and all that junk. copying an established body and headstock design will allow him to focus on the important things like level frets, a nice tight neck joint and proper neck angle to name a few.

5. Taylor

@ManuHB The body is going to be kind of my own take on the Skervy Raptor, not a carbon copy :). And I'll be using a Hipshot Bridge and Locking Tuners.

@Deegatron Oh yeah, I knew from the start that there would be no inlay. Why would I cover up all that beautiful grain!?! :nono:

6. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

Beautiful wood!

7. Taylor

Okay, I have a question. I was practicing fretting today on a few scraps of hard maple (getting better at it). After I pounded the fret wire in, I tested how easily they would come out. I stuck my thumb under the protruding edge of the wire, and was able to push it out, albeit with significant force. So my question is this: Should the frets pop out by only pushing pretty hard with my thumb?

8. Deegatron

Deegatron SS.org Regular

No, they should be in there pretty tight. make sure of the following.
    A) correct fret slot width
    B) fret slot is deep enough that the fret can COMPLETELY seat.\
    C) take a triangle file and bevel the tops of the fret slots where the fret crown will meet the fretboard. there is a very small radius here and putting a small bevel here helps the fret seat completely.
    D) clean out the fret slot 100% RIGHT before fretting.
    E) fret slots must be 100% perpendicular to the fretboard.... this is more important the larger your fretwire gets....

now try to fret your scrap again... when you think you've got the wire seated 100 take a piece of paper and run the corner of the paper along where the fret meets the fret board. if the paper slides under the fret you are not 100% seated.

another thing to try.... once you've finished fretting, clamp your radius caul that you used to sand the fret board radius to the frets... now run some water thin CA glue from each side of the fret.... leave it to dry for a few hours.... that should hold down any frets that want to spring up and should help keep everything more level.

9. Taylor

Alright, I went out and tried again, and they fit really tight. I just wasn't pounding them in hard enough to seat them properly the first time. :yesway:

10. Taylor

Alright, small update:

Swamp Ash Wings ordered from Exotic Woods, and a nice Redwood Burl Drop Top ordered from Oregon Wild Wood.

Bocote billet has been re-sawn and needs a little TLC before it becomes fretboard material.

Pics later!

11. Taylor

Sorry about the the triple post, but I have another question! I cut the scarf joint and am ready to glue it.

This style of scarf joint:

[​IMG]

When I go to glue it, I should probably set the headstock end a little proud of the neck, right? I feel like if I try to glue it even, the headstock end might slip down, and I'll have to sand down the neck end to level everything, which is considerably more to sand. If I glue the headstock end a little high (maybe 1/32"), I'll have much less leveling to do.

Oh, and pics tomorrow. I promise.

12. 9Lives

9Lives GuitarHaggler

I love the fret board. I'm going to be doing my first soon.

13. Deegatron

Deegatron SS.org Regular

I highly recommend you build yourself a router sled... it should only cost you about $10 bux or so and it's ideal for cleaning up the scarf joint and leveling the rest of the neck all in one setup....
    then you can flip the neck and shim it and use the sled on the back side of the neck to bring it down to the correct thickness and taper... this helps ALOT with getting a nice consistent carve.
    but that's just my 2 cents... YMMV

14. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Setting the headstock piece a bit higher than the neck should be more than fine when gluing it. It's like you said, leveling off that bit from the headstock will be a lot easier than leveling the whole neck. Try using nails on the sides towards the edges to keep the headstock piece and the neck together when gluing, it should make it a lot easier and it won't slip around on you.

Good luck, and happy building.

15. shikamaru

shikamaru SS.org Regular

drool ! this is incredible, can’t wait to see how it looks like on the final product !

Hope you’ll have a ton of fun with this man !

16. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

That fretboard is the dogs :eek:

17. Taylor

Okay so PICS!!! (as promised)

The Swamp Ash Wing set got here this week:
    [​IMG]

Along with the Redwood Burl Top:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here it is with the body template:
    [​IMG]
    I was disappointed when I went to the store for some MDF for my template... they didn't have any of the spalted variety :fawk:.

Sorry the pics are super noisy (and overall pretty crappy), been using my uncle's super old point and shoot. (shouldn't have dropped mine in a stream last year)

Anyways, the scarf joint is going to get glued tomorrow, and I'll try to get the fretboard cut and slotted too. I'll try to get some action shots in if I can!

18. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Djentleman

I've never seen redwood Burl like that, is it quartersawn?

19. Taylor

20. MikeDojcsak

MikeDojcsak SS.org Regular

Some really nice woods you've got there. About how much would one expect to pay to embark on a similar project? Including woods, tools, pickups, electronics etc. I'm really interested.