First 5 String Advice!

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by DiegusMaximus32, Aug 23, 2013.

1. DiegusMaximus32

DiegusMaximus32 ss.org Irregular

So I'm looking to buy my first 5-string bass (my first bass, period, as it happens). Looking to spend max about $700. Anyone got any tips? I'm looking at Ibanez and Fender mostly, but I've soon some cool Lakland 5's. Aaaand, go!

2. davisjom

davisjom SS.org Regular

I would say get an Ibanez SR505. Or better yet. Save up a bit more and get an Ibanez BTB575.

Fender is good and all. But for your price range most of what is available isn't the best, IMO.

I live near Sweetwater and they always have Fenders of all price ranges on the wall, and I've yet to play one that was under $900 that I truly enjoyed.

As for Lakland. Never really did it for me. Not the best tonal control and they felt awkward in my hands. But that's probably personal preference.

My best advice for you is to go out and play as many as you can. That's the only way to find a bass that's right for you.

3. DrAleksi

DrAleksi Active Member

My first bass was a 5 string. Still got it and love it. It's a Cort JP5 Signature bass, but you'll have to hope one comes up second hand because they haven't made them for a few years. They do come up very occasionally but they should be within your budget and I love mine to bits.
    Active, 2 bartolini pups, volume, pickup select knob, treble, mid bass. New strings and it can go super bright, but even with the crappiest strings you can get some real bright tones out of it.
    Love it to bits, but try and play before you buy if you find one. You have to be happy with how the instrument plays before you buy it in my experience

4. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

I just bought my first bass as well (waiting on delivery): a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V. The buzz on the recent Squier models over at TalkBass has been pretty positive, and it's hard to argue with the price. Squier has active 5-string models as well, so you might find something to meet your needs for a number of spec preferences.

5. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Where the fvck are you seeing Laklands for $700?

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Lakland Skylines go used pretty cheap. The cheapest Lakland 5'er is $830.

7. abandonist

abandonist Banned

Get a B-stock Ibanez BTB. They're all over ebay. I got a 6 string a while back and love it. I've played basses of all sorts of price ranges and I personally think it's the best value for the money on the market if you like the neck.

8. 7stg

7stg SS.org Regular

This is a good way to go, the 35 inch scale is a plus. Also, why go 5 when you can go 6.

9. DiegusMaximus32

Thanks guys! Great advice. The Ibby SR505 looks sweet, but I'm wondering if the 605 if a better option? It has a lighter bodywood (ash) and I like the finish a bit more. Anyone got any experience in that area?

As for the BTB's, I think I'm in love haha. I've always enjoyed neck-thru guitars and these look very solid. Found one for $700 flat on eBay, so that might be the way to go.

10. davisjom

davisjom SS.org Regular

605 vs 505 there's not much to really say one is "better". The only true difference is slight changes in the selected woods. So at that point it's whether or not you feel like chipping in the X amount of dollars to buy the 605.
    But if you really want a nice bass. Dig around and find a used SR706. That's my currant bass and it is fantastic. Especially with that trans black flame top

11. 7stg

7stg SS.org Regular

Schecter Stiletto Studio 6 or Ibanez BTB676 are worth a look.

12. coffinwisdom

coffinwisdom SS.org Regular

Get the best used Ibanez you can afford. IMO there isn't a better sub $1000 bass

SRs are nice if you're supplementing your guitar playing/recording and want to play with a pick. String spacing and scale length are an easy transition from guitar.

13. DiegusMaximus32

That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I found a bunch of SR505's and 605's on CL for DIRT cheap. Now the question is, which to get? I really like the 605 because it's going to be lighter to hold, being ash and all, and I like the finish more. Anyone have any insight into the tonal difference between the two?

14. coffinwisdom

coffinwisdom SS.org Regular

From what I've researched the tonal difference is subtle. The SR505 would be a bit darker sounding due to the mahogany. Here's a basic guide to tone woods (http://www.jemsite.com/jem/wood.htm).

As far as I know everything else -- hardware, neck, pickups, etc -- are the same SR505 through SR755. So I would go with whatever looks the best to you.

15. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd certainly uncertain Contributor

B... T... B...

16. Dregg

Dregg SS.org Regular

If you're thinking about Ibanez; I would recommend a BTB. I personally dislike them a bit since the string spacing is a little bit too wide for me, but if you have big hands, go nuts. The B-string has a good tension too unlike the SR series which gets pretty sloppy IMHO once you start tuning down.

17. wilch

wilch SS.org Regular

I just bought myself a BTB675 after a pretty poor experience when trying to buy an SR605 from a store here in Sydney. (the poor experience had everything to do with the store, and nothing to do with the bass).

Love the BTB675. Fit and finish is great. The tension on the low B is good, not that I could really feel that much of a difference with the 605 I played (but I didn't play them back to back).

The string spacing is great too. I can even use my clumsy fingers (I'm a guitar guy, never owned a bass before) to pick the strings. I had a tiny bit of trouble doing this with the 605.

If anything, the string spacing and the "bigness" of the tone/sound is the main difference I'm noticing. It's just fat, clear and big. Plus it looks great. My fiance who doesn't know anything about guitars was actually surprised at how nice "this one looks". lol.

Check out my NBD thread for pics: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ba...8-nbd-my-first-bass-ibanez-btb-pic-heavy.html

18. MrSleepwalker

MrSleepwalker duh-jent

Ibby SR or BTB

19. rifft

rifft SS.org Regular

Also check guitar center's used listings. I just picked up a BTB675 (my first bass!) for just over 450 shipped. It should be here in a few days and still had that plastic control-info thing on it :hbang:

20. Espresto

Espresto Well-Known Member

If you can afford it I'd recommend a Dingwall Combustion. I promise it'll be the last five string you'll ever need.