Finish ideas for a maple fretboard

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by ElRay, Apr 15, 2010.

1. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

I'm usually not keen on maple fretboards, but for a build I'm planning, it's 99.999999% likely the way I'll go. I could just go with a lacquer finish, but I'd really prefer the "bare wood" feel. Can I get away with a very minimal coating of lacquer? Any suggested lacquers? I'm leaning towards Behlen's Rock Hard Table Varnish.

How about lacquer over epoxy?

If I'm going with a film, then something like the Thor Epoxy finish would be good. I've already experimented with multiple coats of epoxy and sanding down to 600 grit, and I like the feel, but how's the protection? If I did want to do something like the Thor Guitar Labs epoxy finish, what kinds would give sufficiently high build without being too soft?

Any other recommendations?

Ray

2. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

i dont know about the fretboard but.

"The Ultimate Question: What string gauge is needed for 18.84# of tension when tuned to E2 on a 27" scale guitar? "

whichever sounds and feels the best, its a guitar not a suspension bridge about to survive a hurricane.:shred:

3. Wi77iam

Wi77iam Ibanez fanboi

:lol: That's his signature. Tis a joke.

ElRay likes this.
  4. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

thats my answer...tis a joke:lol::hbang:

5. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible 7-string hack

6. AthenaInlay

AthenaInlay ss.org irregular

I've seen a lot of people do nice work with Tru-oil. On OLF (luthier's forum) I read about a guy who was doing some tests. His results:

"I did just finish a month long experiment testing various finishes on maple fretboards. The best results occurred with wipe on finishes.....Tru-oil and Minwax gloss urethane both achieved a very nice, smooth sealed surface. Both are harder than shellac. The Minwax gloss is very easy to apply and can be flattened with 0000 steel wool or highly polished with compound.

Minwax wipe-on has my vote so far with maple. It's easy and durable. I haven't tried it on darker woods but this is my clear choice for lighter woods."

...Athena

ElRay likes this.
  7. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

Thanks!

BTW, phenomenal work. :shred: This build is "only" a travel guitar, so it will have a blank board.

Ray