Finally Tried BKP Aftermaths...

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Vyn, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

...and what a mixed bag! I've been reading about these on SSO for years and for a while they were the hype train of all hype trains so I thought I'd go down to the local as they had a guitar in-stock with Aftermaths fitted.

The guitar in question was an Ibanez RGAIX6U, link for reference:
    http://www.ibanez.com/products/eg_d...&cat_id=1&series_id=10&data_id=354&color=CL01

Tuning was good old Drop D.

Bridge:
    No complaints about the bridge, standard ceramic, high output shenanigans. Very open sound, not warm but open. Lots of clarity, not so much bite on attack. Quite dynamic. I can see why a lot of people gravitated towards this as a staple bridge pickup.

Neck:
    First reaction - "Fucking awful, what is that noise?!" I had to dial a lot of mid and treble out just to get something that was playable. Very metallic sounding, harsh. Granted it was quite clear and you could hear every note but having grown up on a guitar diet of 80's shred it was like my ears were being fucked with a chainsaw. Didn't have that classic warmth that I'd normally associated with a neck.

Anyway, I finally tried them. Back to SD BW's for me!

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

funny, my experience was the bridge had the godawful clanky metallic mids.

LeviathanKiller and wakjob like this.
  3. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

I started on the amp (boss katana 50w on brown with the built in boost turned on) with bass, mid and treble all at 12 o'clock and ended up dialling bass up to 1 o'clock, mid down to 11 o'clock and treble up to halfway between 12 o'clock and 1 o'clock for the base rhythm tone to play with. It was mid-happy like most high-output ceramics but it wasn't harsh. Then when I switched to the neck I had to dial the mid back to 9 o'clock and the treble back to 8 o'clock and it still had this ridiculous top end.

4. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

Yes, they're very dynamic and articulate but also very "dry" , they lack a little bit of "balls".
    Very good for djent stuff but I personally prefer a pickup with more character.
    I don't like the neck pickup at all, at least in my guitar, has like 50% of the bridge pickup volume.

Vyn likes this.
  5. Asdef

Asdef SS.org Regular

Have exactly same feelings about BKP Aftermath.
    Installed them to Caparison Angelus to try. Don`t like it at all in bridge and neck. Back to EMG.
    Same story with alder body and maple top guitar - ended up with other pickups.

Vyn, wakjob and lewis like this.
  6. karjim

karjim Set the World Afire

Tried once on stef ltd 607 B , a nightmare. ahah
    The ducks came to eat my brain and enjoy my flesh. This pick up is for a 2009 djent project or to compensate the absence of wah during a hendrix style solo.
    Cold sweat, Black hawk, Riff Raff have so much mojo compared to this thing. Some guys here like it a lot on dark LP mahogany guitars, never have the chance to try....maybe it works with this configuration

Vyn likes this.
  7. HerbalDude420

HerbalDude420 SS.org Regular

That neck pickup is a joke. It sucked at even basic cleans.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  8. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Dry / metallic all sounds totally within my own experiences. I don't think they're a bad pickup, but they're very finicky. You're definitely going to need the right woods / right tuning / right use case for them. I don't recommend them because of it, but I still really enjoy them when you wind up playing in the niche where they excel.

To think they were once super hyped and everyone swapping out like really sensible pickups like rebel yells / holy divers for them though... ha.

fps likes this.
  9. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

I have them in a basswood/maple top guitar with ebony fretboard.
    They track notes like there's no tomorrow and they're very good for fast downtuned stuff or fast staccatos, but that's all.
    Neck pickup sounds like a DI guitar track.

10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

:deathm:

11. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

I don't think people know this, but Aftermaths as far as I remember, they were originally a very specialized custom pickup for one player on the BKP forum who wanted a very "percussive" and super-tight pickup. I was surprised that they made it a regular, which then of course led to it being such a marmite-pickup (either love it or hate it).

12. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I love the aftermaths. shrugalug

13. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I think I read that post/thread. They used to do custom pickups then so guys had aftermaths with Alnico magnets and Holy Divers with ceramics. It would be cool if they still offered some sort of custom shop to tweak some of the specs.

14. nistley

nistley SS.org Regular

I think they still do, I see many new guitars with "Custom BKP'.

15. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I tried to get a modified Holy Diver set and they said they don't do spec changes anymore. If you are a builder like Aristides or endorsing artist then you can get custom pickups.

16. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

I thought the aftermath was developed by Nolly several years ago?

17. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I own a 7-string baritone with the Aftermath set and agree with what people have already mentioned above. The guitar is mahogany, ebony neck, fixed bridge, 28.625" scale length. For reference, I have another guitar, same brand with exact same specs, but with SD Blackouts. The neck Aftermath pickup is pretty bad imo. You can pile on more gain but it never reaches an acceptable (for me) fluidity+bite combo point. There's just not a lot of body and character grit to it. It's a hollow (not in the tubular way typical of a neck pup), almost single-coil-esque, tone but without the snappy bite of an actual single-coil or split humbucker. It's very clean/dry sounding. I actually have to make entirely different versions of lead patches on my Axe-Fx specifically for that pickup. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The bridge I do like. It is clanky, metallic, and kinda twangy just as described by several people. I like it. It has a place in my arsenal. I think I'd prefer it in a shorter scale length guitar though to tame it just a bit more. I'll probably sell the set and replace it with something else since it's a soapbar sized set which won't fit in anything I have at the moment and then re-buy the bridge pickup and find a different neck pickup to pair it with for one of my shorter passive-routed guitars.

18. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

I bought a used guitar with an Aftermath bridge but Illuminator neck... now I see why he did that lol.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  19. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

No it was someone else and I think the person also gave the name Aftermath.
    The very early Holy Divers were apparently a different design with a ceramic magnet. I remember this because I asked on the forum about it.

20. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

I dig the aftermath (bridge only), but you pretty much have to downtune for it to sound good. Anything above D standard gets way too harsh for my taste