Finally Some Common Sense On Syrian Refugees

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by TRENCHLORD, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    The arguments are indeed so similar, it's frightening.

Foreigners who are out to destroy a country from within, slogans about returning the country to greatness, even leaders who can easily justify violence against a citizen who is only speaking... couple that with anti-intellectualism, populist "solutions" which aren't well thought out, and an appeal to emotion rather than reason, and you have...

Hmmm. Does that refer to a current presidential campaign, or to the Nazis? Tell me which is ruled out, by the terms I spelled out not being applicable, before just giving me a knee-jerk reaction.

And if you can't rule one out, but think that one or the other still doesn't go too far in your opinion, keep in mind that you'll be signing on to eliminating the Constitution and the first Amendment right of free speech when you handwave away justifying beating someone for protected speech.

----

Anyone here ever read of the Wave movement experiment in a California high school, where the students couldn't understand how regular people could join a fascist movement willingly, and a teacher decided to show them how the students weren't immune? There have been several movies based on what happened at the school. It's fascinating and terrifying at the same time.

2. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Come on, Explorer, you're better than Godwin's Law.

3. Eliguy666

Eliguy666 V's are Just Better

-Person who has been banned in the past for that exact thing. :nono:

4. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Godwin's Law doesn't apply to conversations wherein one is actually discussing mainstays of the Nazi regime, or of the regime's rise to power. If my parallels are indeed hyperbolic and not representative of Trump's words and actions, then you'd indeed be correct in pointing out how Trump never engaged in such, and that my statements were unfounded.

I'll add two more parallels to either easily shoot down if false, or to add to the list of things which are relevant and scary and *true.*

Accusations of communism.

Not being willing to rule out special tracking and/or required registration of a religious group of citizens.

Here's a ohttps://www.yahoo.com/politics/donald-trump-has-big-plans-1303117537878070.html which has both points.

Godwin's Law is about accusations like, "Gays and women are like Hitler for wanting equal rights," or "You're being like Hitler for enforcing the rules."

Do you truly think Godwin's Law is about discussions about actual points of view and actions which parallel ones embraced by the Nazis?

I'm happy if someone were to show that news sources which currently support the examples I gave were merely inventions, and retractions issued.

"Oh, Explorer, Trump never justified someone getting physically beaten for using their free speech rights! And he clearly rejected registration of citizens of a particular religion!"

See, those would be assertions which could support the conclusion that I was just pulling the accusation of those parallels out of nowhere.

If I was instead talking about, say, Bill Gates, and I was to make the claim of those parallels between Gates and the Nazis, it would be relatively easy to dismiss that claim because Gates hasn't spoken publicly about any of those things. *That* would be a correct application of Godwin's Law.

I'm happy to discuss this further, but there'd have to be some showing that the parallels I noted didn't really happen, as opposed to saying that my noting those parallels is factually correct but outré.

5. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

...and this one's gone far enough. :locked:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.