Finally Some Common Sense On Syrian Refugees

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by TRENCHLORD, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Very impressed with Rubio's views on the refugee crisis.
    Our government's responsibility should be first to our own citizens, not our global "popularity" as the Obama-Clinton doctrine seems to prioritize.

We come first IMO, since this is our nation. You can't allow the entry of those that we have little to no personal info on.

OmegaSlayer likes this.
  2. Insomnia

Insomnia Needs more strings!

Interesting take. Can't say I totally agree with him, but he seems a helluva lot more knowledgeable than Trump.

3. Glosni

Glosni SS.org Regular

Great to see those often touted american-christian values in action. Shining city on the hill, anyone? Bring me your huddled masses, does that ring a bell? "Your" nation is supposed to be the home of the brave, but refugees fleeing unimagenable violence and tragedy, some of them children, just scare you to the point of turning you back on some of the most desperate people on this planet?

I wonder if the Fox/GOP rhetoric would be different if most of those values would be christian instead of muslim. :ugh:

4. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    You skipped over Rubio refuting you, in as far as when secular law like the Constitution is in conflict with religious rules, "God's law always wins."

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153730656743486&id=649998485&refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2Fplugins%2Fvideo.php&locale2=en_US&_rdr

That means that only government is more about protecting the christian faith for Rubio than the citizens.

Sorry you weren't aware that Rubio thinks the laws of Yahweh trump the Constitution in the US. That's the same basis of government embraced by other religious regimes in other countries, and it doesn't look like freedom is the plan of any of these types.

I'm looking forward to the apologetics on this one. :lol:

5. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

No Yahweh for Rubio, Explorer: that's a Jew thingie, Rubio doesn't do no Jew thingies, you know?

6. Thrashmanzac

Thrashmanzac plays in 69/42

That's an old testament thing Mang.

Tell me how hard you worked to be born in your country. I finding it disgusting that a government can bomb civilians on a whim, then turn around and say .... like "we can't let them in because we don't know who they are" (i'm paraphrasing of course). show some ....ing empathy.

7. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Yeah, about that...
    [​IMG]

8. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Most of the people I hear saying that we need to take care of our own people first as a reason to deny entry to refugees are the same people who are vocally opposed to government healthcare and socialized welfare. It's a bizarre disconnect, to be sure.

9. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Our own people come first but those goddamn lazy bums should get a job! Or something! Screw mental health, man up and get over your PTSD!

10. narad

narad SS.org Regular

The thought that we would ever have significant info to discern between terrorists and non-terrorists upon entry into a country is hilarious. Just the thought that there is a database with any information at all about some random person who has lived in some far away country their entire life, let alone the enough to profile them for possibly having malicious intent! I'm all for rejecting admittance if there is serious evidence of intent and this is assessed by a proper court and not some random airport security team, but your base case for 0 info has to be acceptance. Otherwise you're turning your back on a core tenet of America.

Though I like that Rubio pushed on with the merit-based permanent immigration policy. I've seen far too many friends have to leave the country after completing masters (and even PhDs) at top US schools.

11. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

Quoted for truth!

And, yeah, this too!

12. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Yeah, but to those people, "our own people" means white people.

13. asher

asher So Did We

...plenty of whom need those social programs they love to cut, in fact.

Though they've convinced many of those people otherwise.

14. lelandbowman3

lelandbowman3 SS.org Regular

Didn't turn out too well for the Natives, did it?

15. asher

asher So Did We

It's kind of amusing, but it's a terrible analogy either way.

16. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

http://mediamatters.org/video/2015/12/08/msnbcs-maddow-highlights-how-voices-in-the-righ/207361

Kind of how I feel about the whole Trump thing. Make the radical ideas seem less radical by having some guy spewing non sense. I find it pretty funny some of these candidates condemn him when these are also the people who thought we should have a religious test to make sure the refugees we do take in are Christian.

To his credit Rubio did not agree with that. His "God's law always wins." stuff he was spouting about gay marriage and abortion does worry me though. We were founded on a separation of church in state. If you're curious about some more information on this, this is a decent article: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/15/opinion/sunday/a-christian-nation-since-when.html

About the vetting process currently in place: http://www.npr.org/2015/11/17/456395388/paris-attacks-ignite-debate-over-u-s-refugee-policy. These politicians act like we don't do any screening. The visa process is more problematic and even THAT is a cluster f^%#

17. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

That doesn't make their choice to accept newcomers any less noble. And being that we know better, it's not like we can't take steps to keep an eye on them once we've allowed them to enter. Those wishing to enter legally are essentially allowing us to tag them like wild animals. We get illegal immigrants all day every day anyway, don't we? That's still an issue we'd have to tackle whether Syrians wish to immigrate to this country or not. From what I hear, a large majority of them don't even want to be here. I imagine a lot of them didn't really want to leave their home until it became necessary to do so.

If I recall, the folks that came here were seeking religious freedom. They weren't even running from anything as bad as what those now seeking refuge face. To say, "It didn't work out so great for the Natives,"--in my eyes--is a cop out at best. A petty one at that.

18. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

edit: op banned. nvm. not worth it. lol.

edit 2: looks like someone is GLUED to this forum. :lol:

19. narad

narad SS.org Regular

20. chaneisa

chaneisa Marc Spector

The sad thing is we can't really weed out those will ill intent, but if we deny 1000 because 1 might be bad, we are, as previously stated, going against some of the things America stands for. It'd be killer if there were ways to monitor immigrants and effectively find that 1/1000, but we simply can't. There's too many coming in, and too few are actually here to do harm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.