Finally Got the Drive To Write Again, Smash it For Me?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by oc616, Feb 13, 2018.

1. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

After bunkering-up, trying to resolve whatever it was that kept bugging me with my tracks, I decided to put the 8 string down and pick up a 7 again in drop A. Being able to write (and finish) songs again has managed to give me some drive into bothering with music and enjoy it once more. As usual, I'd like some feedback on where I'm at, although I feel its worlds better than the last few things put on this Soundcloud account.

https://soundcloud.com/amostagreeablesloth/gods-unappeaseddemo-1

2. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

Wow that's some angry stuff there!!! Also listed to Once Punch Man, which was queued up afterward. Not a big fan of screamo style vocals, but I enjoyed the tracks. Vocals remind me a little bit of Sepultura.

Good to see the 7 string inspired you to write more. Just out of curiosity, why do you think the 7 string is more inspirational than the 8 string? Does the 8 string lead you to spend too much time on technical stuff? Is your 7 just a better instrument or more fun to play?

3. zarg

zarg guitar and computer nerd

Sounds really good, I like it! The only complaint I have is that the vocals are a little bit too monotone also having some parts being growled low or screamed higher would make it a bit more interesting imo.

4. axxessdenied

axxessdenied FUZZ & CHAINSAW

I was thinking the exact same thing. Doing more layering and adding some layering on the sides to accent certain words would really bring some cool dynamics to the vox.

5. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

Thanks, I always thought Sepultura was a close comparison to my voice too. The 8 just became very restricting in a couple of ways, one of them being the "technical obsession" you mentioned, otherwise it'd sound like riding the low string forever. The other reason was when I thought of it as "just drop A with a low E" or something, the tone was pretty off. I've got a couple of 8's and the voicing on both for the 7th string sounds thinner than my 7's.

There are sections where I do one high and one low, namely the chorus and the widdly bit around 00:28 in. I do get what you're saying about adding a bit more variance in the verses though, so I'm still getting back into the swing of singing.

zarg likes this.
  6. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 ..working on my mix Contributor

This is awesome man, love the heaviness. To me, your vocals sound a lot like Tommy Vext. I immediately thought of some of the old Divine Heresy stuff, like the song "Failed Creation" -- if you are familiar with that.

7. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

This is weird, I was checking out his new band Bad Wolves the other day and my girlfriend said "you've got a similar voice to him". Tommy is someone I wish I could actually sing like if I had the pipes haha, but thanks.