Finally got my first seven

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by noodles, Sep 25, 2005.

1. noodles

noodles Contributor

I'm down one PODxt, and up a Ibanez AX7221. My KXK is still a couple of months out, so I needed something to scratch the itch until then.

No, the little amp isn't plugged into the Mesa. It just, framed the picture out all nice and shit. :lol:

[​IMG]

2. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

Congrats, man! :yesway:

3. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

Nice. And an old park amp in the pic too!. 80's old school Marshall SS amp ( when Marshall wanted to make SS amp's but not use the Marshall name with them)

noodles likes this.
  4. noodles

noodles Contributor

That old school Park amp is the best sounding practice amp I've ever had. I rip it in my bedroom all the time through that thing!

5. Jesse

Jesse iJesse Contributor

thats neat, I never knew that!

6. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Having played this very guitar, it's really a pretty damn decent instrument, especially for what these are going for...

7. jacksonplayer

jacksonplayer The Fusion Guy! Contributor

I've only played the 6-string version of the AX, but it wasn't a bad little guitar. And you'll need a stage backup even after the KXK arrives, so that's pretty cool all around.

8. noodles

noodles Contributor

Yeah, I think it will be fine for backup, but a few things are gonna have to change first. The tuners are total garbage--the low B constantly goes out of tune from backlash, and I have the tuner key set screw about as tight as it will go without danger of breakage. The chrome bridge is going to have to go, too, or at least refinished in black. Chrome on gunmetal satin? Bleck. I might even rewire it to one volume and tone, and leave the bottom two knobs unused. I just hate LP wiring. I also need to shave the neck down a bit, because the chunky D is a bit fatiguing after a while.

The pickups, which really aren't all that bad, still have way too much bottom end for even my tastes. Things get very muddy on the wounds. Mahogany body, what do you think I should go with?

9. wolfsd

wolfsd 6 string? What's that?

Congrats on the move to the "Dark Side".......MUAHAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAAAAAA!!!!!!

steve

noodles likes this.
  10. jacksonplayer

Duncan JB/Jazz combo. Great with mahogany. DiMarzio Blaze Custom would rock in the bridge, as well, since I know you are more of a DiMarzio guy.

As far as the tuners go, I can sympathize. Every Ibanez I've ever owned had crappy tuners. Most of their guitars have locknuts, so it's not as big a deal, but you really notice it on the fixed-bridge guitars. I'm kinda surprised about the fat neck, though, since it's an Ibanez.

11. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Hey, eleven59...

He got his first real 7 string.. got it of the ibanez line ;p

12. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

It's the most un-Ibanez neck I've played recently - unless you count the early '80s bolt-ons. In fact, it's kinda similar to a 7 string version of the bolt-on Destroyer from that era...

13. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

I think its supposed to appeal to gibson types. I was never a fan of that neck, but mostly just cause it has 22 frets.

14. jacksonplayer

I remember those old ones--especially the Roadstars. Those were basically strats with ugly headstocks. :) And you're right, they had thicker necks. I don't think the Wizards came in until the RG, though maybe some of the early 540s or ProLines had them, can't remember. That's been awhile.

15. noodles

noodles Contributor

Actually, I'm a Duncan guy, but I put a Tone Zone in my RR because my standard JB/Jazz set didn't sound good in it. It was my first Dimarzio. :lol:

I never tried a JB/Jazz in a mahogany guitar, always Alder, which is why I asked first.

16. jacksonplayer

The JB-7 sounds awesome in my C7 Blackjack, which has a mahogany body. Obviously it could be different in that Ibanez, but one thing I've found about JBs is that they are not very bottom-heavy compared to other high-output pickups. That's one reason I don't like 'em in Jacksons, since most neckthrus always seem to need a little more 'heft'. A Distortion-7 might not be bad, either, but things will get a little less 'sharp' that way.