Final Fantasy XIII-2

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Bloody_Inferno, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Ok, for those who bothered to complete the first FFXIII game, we all though "Really? Was that it?" Well the eve of it's release outside Japan is close by so a thread is in order.

The previous game was heavily based on the new battle system, so a lot of the issues the first game had have been addressed here.

Random Encounters. :squint: No more visible monsters, instead there's a new thing called the Mog Clock (can determine how the battle begins).

Live Trigger is introduced. Basically dialogue trees with NPCs (a la Xenoblade Chronicles) that can lead to multiple endings.

2 more focal things. Temporal Rift: a puzzle solving system that involves between dimensions, and Histora Crux System: time travelling that based on the players choices can affect multiple endings... I'll try not to give too much away.

Anyone else other than me looking forward to this? I guess after the first FFXIII there probably won't be much, let alone those who still care about the franchise. :lol:

Xiphos68, Fiction and Michael T like this.
  2. Michael T

Michael T Sea Turtles mate Contributor

I'm stoked, played thru the demo for it about 6 times now.

I've had it on PreOrder for at least 10-12 months, actually i think i PreOrdered it around the same time as my BRJ Jekyll.........:scratch:

I've been a fan of the series for over 20 years, its had its ups & Down but i always enjoy them in the end.

3. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

I'm excited. I enjoyed FF13, The fighting was pretty boring after the first 5 fights, the linear play was boring, and the free-roam at the end sucked, and somehow, I really enjoyed the game. I guess I liked the idea of having a set story, its different to the usual FF's where I'd get sidetracked grinding and exploring, where as this the story was the focal point, and after all those ridiculously named alignments, dear lord I needed to focus on it :lol:

I sold my Xbox 360 though, so I don't think i'll pick this up for a while, I'll wait until the next gen comes out so I can pick up one for dirt cheap.

4. Rock4ever

Rock4ever SS.org Regular

I'll probably end up buying this due to morbid curiosity, but seriously....

WTB MASS EFFECT 3

5. 1337

1337 SS.org Regular

I don't believe in any FFs passed VIII. They don't exist.

6. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

10 was great, and 12 was alright.. It was playable to the end for me.

7. Bloody_Inferno

Except IX was great. Even if it was mostly a tribute/throwback to the first 6 games.

8. Tomo009

Tomo009 SS.org Regular

I am definitely interested, pre-ordered and waiting.

Screw the haters, FFXIII was a good game even if it was linear.

That said it sounds like the developers really have addressed a lot of people's concerns with XIII. Really looking forward to this, I've even managed to not really spoil anything for myself.

Also none after VIII exist? I find IX far better than VII and VIII. I even prefer X to those 2, but I know that isn't a popular opinion. Might have something to do with not playing VII at release, when I got around to it I didn't find it particularly different from ant of the earlier games, it was just much, much slower and therefore tedious to me. I did get VIII at release though and it's good, but far from my favorite. Still haven't played VI and I don't even know why.

XII is my least favorite in the series though, I never even got around to finishing it.

9. Qweklain

Qweklain SS.org Regular

I personally loved FFXII. I really like the battle style and even though it was linear, the story was very good and drew me in. The linearity did not bother me one bit to be honest. I am sure I will enjoy XIII-2 just as much if not more.

Tomo009, you NEED to play VI if you have not yet. Definitely the best one IMO, yes, even beyond VII.

On a side note: As I scrolled to the bottom of this thread, there is an ad in the ad-box for "Final Fantasy XIII-2 Preorder Now." Talk about hitting the target with marketing!

10. Bloody_Inferno

FFXII is a solid game in the non-traditional FF sense. It's not all too bad, the game did require some refinement though. The battle system was taken from XI but felt clunky and completely abusable. However Xenoblade took the best concepts of FFXII to a new level. Speaking of which... Square Enix, take note of what your former employees are doing here. ;)

And agreed 100% that all serious FF players should play FFVI.

11. Tomo009

Tomo009 SS.org Regular

I honestly have no idea why I haven't played VI yet. I guess i'm waiting to play it on an actual console, don't want to emulate it haha.

12. Bloody_Inferno

Does PSOne Classic release count as emulation? :scratch: There's also that PS1 release a decade back (but that actually WAS emulation, with FMVs, and it was slow as sin).

OT: Also, for those who loved the music in the first game (like me), Masashi Hamauzu returns for this game. This time he's assisted by Naoshi Mizuta (Street Fighter Alpha, Parasite Eve 2, the bulk of Final Fantasy XI and all expansions, among others) and Mitsuto Suzuki (bunch of remixes for Square Enix games and others).

13. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

What version of VI should I grab? I have Snes, PS1 & a Gameboy. I'm assuming Snes?

Edit: We need a FF Megathread :lol:

14. C2Aye

C2Aye has the groove.

FFXIII was an absolute borefest for me, there are better FF games and certainly much better current generation RPG's.

But then I saw gameplay for XIII-2 and I was hopeful because there looked to be a better combat system (despite the QTE's) and less of the dead linear gameplay. Then they had to go make that Serrah girl a fucking main character :noplease:

I'll probably still play it though in the hope that it will be better that XIII and I owe it to myself for sticking with XIII to the end.

I've only ever played VII through to the end and I borrowed X but stopped because I strongly felt the urge to punch Tidus in the face. Thankfully XIII didn't have any stupidly annoying characters (well, there was Vanille but I let her off because she had an Aussie accent which is a massive novelty in mainstream games, unless your name is Claudia Black, in which case you'll more likely not to hear her in a game! Hope is pretty much quinessential anime emo so I wasn't so much annoyed, more like apathetic) which was a plus.

I've heard good things about FFVIII. Worth a shot?

15. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Definitely worth playing.

The magic drawing system gets fairly tedious to begin with, but once you get a few hours in you don't really have to bother, also the GF (Ifrit, Shiva etc) System is really cool with their own levelling/experience with it. Also the characters tend to be fairly far into there stereotype, meaning, if the character is a douche, he's the biggest douche you'll ever meet. Great game! :lol:

16. Xiphos68

Xiphos68 SS.org Regular

:lol:

I recently just pre-ordered the collectors edition for this game, and know nothing about the story line or anything.

It seems pretty awesome and I wanted the collector's edition for the music too. These games have awesome music!

Can anyone tell me where to start on Final Fantasy, I've always heard about it, I just never got into it until now and I've never played any of the games before.

BTW this song rocks!

17. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

I actually just played thru and beat XIII a few nights ago just so I could get this game when it came out. I can't WAIT! Ya, people say XIII was linear, blah blah blah... who cares? It was different, but if you are a die-hard fan, you would overlook this and get thru it lol. XIII was still good, and I can't wait to play thru XIII-2.

XII was great too btw... after you got thru the first hour :D

18. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

If you can play older games and what not, definitely get 7, seems to be the best game in everyone's eyes, it is a great game, but I prefer 8. I also think 10 is really cool, brings some awesome new features that really make the game one of y favorites.

19. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

AH! I remember going to the bus stop around the time I was in 7th grade, and this guy kept talking about Lost Number, and limit breaks and stuff like that. After hearing this for over a month, I had to ask him what game he was playing. He told me 'Final Fantasy VII', and handed me a strategy guide he carried with him. I told him I was gonna pick it up, and all he said was "Enjoy"... well, that was back in... 1996, and I've played everyone of them (except the spin-offs) ever since!

So, maybe VII would be a good start, as it was a breakthru in the series for being the first in 3-D and with cutscenes. I personally liked II (IV) and V, and thought III (VI) was better than VII. But anywho, try out VII... it's dated, but, it's a GREAT adventure. You will fall in love and play thru the rest of them. They aren't chronologically made, so you can play them in any order really. I loved them all, as VIII, IX (still need to beat Ozma one of these days), X, XII and XIII are my top favorites for the new gen systems, and II (IV) being my all time favorite! Poor Palom and Porom... you will not be forgotten!

20. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

I never thought VII was the best... good, but when X came out, I forgot about VII, until Advent Children came out. I liked VIII more than VII as well! Squall and his gunblade were an amazing team!