Final Fantasy 15 FINALLY coming September 30th

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Mar 31, 2016.

1. ProtoTechDeath

ProtoTechDeath SS.org Regular

Been waiting for this game since its announcement in 2006. I had almost given up hope and assumed this game had gone the way of a third Necrophagist album, very grateful they continued work on this and it's finally coming out soon.

2. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Crap, I forgot about that side mission.... Also, I'm not a fan of Blitzball...

3. Repner

Repner SS.org Regular

The worst one for me was trying to to get a final time of 0:00:0 on the chocobo in the calm lands. The more attempts I put in, the more frustrated I got, and the more frustrated I got, the worse I got.

4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Yeah. I did that race when I encountered it in the game regularly and most definitely didn't get anywhere close to 0:00. When I was gearing up for the last boss and read how to get the celestial weapons, I was like "nope, not even going to try that one!!"

5. Repner

Repner SS.org Regular

Footage of the opening chapter:

6. Repner

Repner SS.org Regular

I just checked my original copy of the game. Turns out I still have a save file from when the game was released with everyone's celestial weapon, with the exception of Wakkas. I must've had WAY more patience than I do now. I'm looking at my 15 year old self thinking "Freak!!" right now.

Having said that, I didn't beat most of the Dark Aeons or Penance back then.

7. wankerness

The guides all said Wakka's was one of the easiest to get, but I HATED Blitzball and won about two matches, lost several more and couldn't figure out how to win worth a crap so it was never going to happen for me either :D Fortunately the game was incredibly easy with hyper-powered Yuna and Lulu with the double casting and mana conservation afforded by their weapons so it didn't even matter how wimpy the other characters were.

ANYWAY, FF15! So, the demo for FF15 really doubled down on this game having exclusively guys in black as playable characters, huh? That seems like a good way to alienate a massive portion of their fanbase. One of the hallmarks of the series has always been the great women characters and to just have none in the game at all, especially in this new age of PC-ness, seems like commercial suicide. And they have to sell 10 million copies just to break even?! Square could be in some trouble here!

The combat and stuff looks like it might be alright, but I could never get into these games unless I liked the characters, and these guys look like blandsville.

8. Ralyks

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the all male characters. Tifa and Celes are like two of my top 5 FF characters.

9. wankerness

I guess my problem is that the characters I liked the least were always the guys. Hope in FFXIII (he's the one character in any of these games I've played I actively hated), Locke, Irvine, Snow, Squall, Kimahri, etc. The writers for these things really like making obnoxious attempts at witty characters and super emo douches. :D

10. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Tetsuya Nomura's character designs have been dated for some time and they really haven't evolved since their inception with Cloud. Having 5 shonen bros isn't really looking all too appealing in the character department.

I'm really hoping there's more to this, and I still have high hopes regardless.

Fair enough. I'll still play it. Plus the soundtrack is done by Yoko Shimomura so that's guaranteed to be good.

11. wankerness

I looked her up to see what I'd heard of hers, and apparently the only two games I've ever played that had her soundtracks are Mario RPG and Parasite Eve! I do remember Parasite Eve having great music, but what is she best known for? The Kingdom Hearts games? Mario and Luigi?

Speaking of Parasite Eve, I really want an HD version of that! Maybe one exists, who knows. I haven't played it since the PSX was current gen. :p

12. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Seriously. Yoko Shimomura wrote that. ...and most of the SF2 music too.

But you've already said her other well known hits. I guess you can count Legend Of Mana and some of the first Xenoblade Chronicles game, but what's already mentioned are what she's best known for.

Parasite Eve got a third game called The 3rd Birthday. But it's PSP exclusive.

13. wankerness

Ah, yeah, I've never played SF2 but I've heard a bunch of the music in various youtube videos since it's so iconic and beloved. That's a pretty serious credit, don't know how I missed it when looking at her...gameography?

14. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

You guys just reminded me that I need to check whether the super Mario rpg from Wii is upgrade able to the WIIU version yet. (I hate using Wii controllers). One of My "best games of all time." Up there with Half-life 2, and Fallout 3.

15. Repner

Repner SS.org Regular

It is in the European VC, so I assume it will for you as well.

EDIT: Well I'll be damned. North America was the only region to NOT get it on Wii U.

16. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Well thanks for checking for me. Now I can focus on getting my own carbuncle. I'm looking forward to a "Super Gorgeous JRPG that isn't "retro" and doesn't suck" and FF15 seems to be generating a lot more positive buzz than I had dared to hope.

17. Ralyks

Not to derail the conversation any more, but holy crap was Super Mario RPG one of the greatest games ever, and I wish that game got a true sequel. I miss Geno and Mallow...

Anyway, I haven't looked, but does FFXV have more playable characters than the 4 in Duscae?

18. Repner

Repner SS.org Regular

It's just those four. I think they wanted to go back to the old style of FF I, II, III, and V. There will be guests however.

19. Ralyks

Normally I'm a fan of having a bunch of characters and being able to customize a party, but for once, I think I'm ok with them going back to the old style and only having four characters to worry about leveling up.

20. Ralyks

So now that the game has been out for a while, what does everyone thing? Finished the story last night. Personally, despite a meh story that I feel turned around and ended it on pretty strong note. But gameplay wise, this game far exceeded my expectations, and the soundtrack is one of the best I've heard in years. Wish I knew how to do spoiler font so I can talk about this more without ruining anything. But yeah, I had a great time with this game. Although, It was pretty easy to become overpowered, and I managed to play without getting a single game over, and the boss battles were pretty easy at the point where the game gets linear.