FIFA officials arrested on corruption charges (related to 2022 Qatar WC)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, May 27, 2015.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

asher, coffeeflush and Edika like this.
  2. bonga

bonga SS.org Regular

About time too!! The amount of brazen lies in this whole Qatar 2022 WC scandal has been nothing short of pathetic. I so wish Blatter would lose the next election!

3. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

As the article said this was common knowledge for decades. The multinational aspect of FIFA I assume was the reason for not being able to take legal action against them as they'd have to be either tried in their respective countries or in the internatiobal court which I don't think has this kind of authority.

While this is a positive development, how can the US arrest and file charges on non US citizens? Won't the respective countries demand to have them expedited to them? Is there an agreement between countries in this matter? Football has a lot of influence in politics in most countries and the US wouldn't be a bad choice in this case as you guys don't care about the sport at all.

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

Apparently if theres a slight connection to the US (the article gives examples such as using a US bank or US ISP), they have a right to do so.

EDIT: Apparently the bank transactions were done with US banks.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

6. Dommak89

Dommak89 SS.org Regular

I hope Blatter gets arrested. That old fart should have been trialed ages ago. Sooo much corruption ...

7. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

I applied for a job for the stadium construction and was appalled by the working conditions so didn't take it up.

Glad to see the world is noticing.

Ofcourse this goes in the top management but as some of the people working there told me , the whole thing is curropt top to bottom.

8. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

However I think that it's a bit more complicated than you might think. There are 2 investigations:

1) The US FBI & IRS. They have leaned rather heavily on the ex-US FIFA top guy (on evading a lot of tax, plus corruption), and they can bust domestic & foreign nationals who use US companies to commit corruption.

As I work for a British company who is also listed on the NY stock exchange, plus have a large US arm, we have had a lot of warnings about this. If, say, one of our people in a local office somewhere in the world accepts a bribe for business with a local client - so no US component for the bribery - it will still fall foul of the Sarbanes as the company runs business in the US. Breaking the rules here could see the head of the company banged up in a US jail...

However, FIFA isn't a US company, sadly in this case as they'd be royally screwed if they were. I am interested to see how far US prosecutors decide to use RICO as corruption has been an open secret (and bad joke) for years. However, if US banks have been used to avoid tax, well the IRS take that personally.

2) There is also a Swiss investigation. This is where things get a bit more murky. The media release from the Swiss cops is here: https://www.admin.ch/gov/en/start/documentation/media-releases.msg-id-57391.html

Reading between the lines it seems that some people very high up in FIFA have thrown some of their members under the bus.

I'd love to see Blatter & the whole lot in prison with their assets forfeited, but I am not convinced that this will happen.

What's especially amusing about the situation is that the election for FIFA president (Blatter's job) is still going ahead on Friday... :ugh:

9. hairychris

Good choice, dude.

Migrant workers get treated like crap in a lot of countries round there (Dubai, Qatar, etc), the stadium building is particularly bad.

10. asher

asher So Did We

Yeah, let's go do incredibly harsh physical labor in appalling working conditions in 120+* heat.

Has the worker death toll hit five digits yet?

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

While the toll is pretty high, I don't think it'll reach that high. I think the estimated toll would be 4000?

Though if even more .... hits the fan, here's to hoping the loss of lives finally dwindle down.

12. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Psssst.

FIFA.

The US is fully equipped to host a World Cup tomorrow if you decide Qatar was a batsh!t idea.

Just putting that out there.

13. Dommak89

Dommak89 SS.org Regular

Did the US pay them? If not the chances are slim :D :D

TBH I wouldn't want the World Cup in the US either. Soccer isn't that big over there and I'd be worried that the stadiums won't be full. I know it sounds unfair, but here in Europe, almost everybody is a soccer fan, and even a game such as Trinidad & Tobago vs Jamaica would have a full stadium because there's so much soccer love over here.

14. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

The stadium would definitely be full. As an IT guy I can tell you just how awful the world cup happening is to my job. Bandwidth drops big time as people stream the games on the company network. :lol:

Plus, there are plenty of soccer fans here, it's just not as big as American Football. Certainly more than enough to fill a stadium. Besides, America is great at creating bandwagon fans for nearly any occasion. :lol:

Don't loads of people fly in for the event anyhow...

At least the teams could leave without fear of being jumped by an overzealous crowd here.

15. hairychris

Most major European countries are also in that position, plus several South American and a couple out in Asia.

Will never happen. Qatar *is* an idea consisting of compacted guano, but unless there's a miracle there will not be a rebidding process (and the unilateral handing over of the games could be seen as corrupt anyway).

Hey ho.

16. asher

asher So Did We

I imagine stadiums will be filled.

Besides, look at it this way: the US is one of the last emerging/developing football markets!

despite our TV stations paying the most money for World Cup broadcasting rights...

17. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Well Blatter is def gonna get re-elected today for sure. The only way
    they are gonna get rid of the guy is if someone who is currently
    under arrest gets offered a deal to sing like a canary and implicate him.

18. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Quick, care to take a guess which World Cup had the highest total attendance numbers and the highest average attendance per match?

Brazil 2014? Nope!

Germany 2006? Nuh-uh!

USA 1994? There it is!

Obviously soccer is more popular in Europe than it is in the US, but the US still has the numbers to fill it out. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say another WC in the US would have even higher numbers than the '94 WC did, and it certainly wouldn't hurt FIFA any to get more exposure in the US. It's a huge potential market, with room for crazy growth.

19. DoctorLard7

DoctorLard7 SS.org Regular

The 2022 WC should be reopened to the Bids from Australia, USA, Japan and Korea, with Qatar excluded, shame it would be probably be too problematic to take 2018 from Russia though.

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

Blatter was re-elected as president of FIFA.